• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

13 minutes ago, AHF said:

His only value is as a scorer.  He has done some good work making himself less of a liability on defense but he still sucks on the boards and doesn't do anything else.  If he can't shoot efficiently, he won't succeed.  2-20 is beyond brutal.  This is a small sample size and just preseason, though.  Wait until the games mean something before getting too worked up.  Nobody should be throwing out THJr because of two games just like nobody should go crazy because Delaney shot 0-7.

As a surprise to no one on this site, I hated trading 4 years of the #15 pick for 2 years of THJr but that is a sunk cost at this point so let's see if we can't work him into a valuable reserve this season.  He should get a lot of good looks and he isn't this bad of a shooter.  He tends towards inconsistency  going through spells where he shoots above his talent and spells where he shoots below it.  Let's hope he is getting the low period out of the way when the games don't count.

This.

• Premium Member
On 10/10/2016 at 11:15 PM, bleachkit said:

I completely agree. I think some people on this board will defend anything Bud does. 

The trade was a gamble with the thought in mind that we won't always have Korver.   We need to find his replacement.   Like it or not, Bud and Co. saw something in THJr.  If you watched his rookie year, you may have saw it too.     I still say, let's wait and see how he progresses during the season. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Like it or not, Bud and Co. saw something in THJr.  If you watched his rookie year, you may have saw it too.  

Good point. If he can calm down and mange his stroke then he can keep some form of threat from the perimeter on the floor for us. Its just when he has off shooting games they are so far off it is concerning. Hoping it works out because right now Baze would be the three point threat behind Kyle and really no other swing as of yet. Coaches have their work cut out for them. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Good point. If he can calm down and mange his stroke then he can keep some form of threat from the perimeter on the floor for us. Its just when he has off shooting games they are so far off it is concerning. Hoping it works out because right now Baze would be the three point threat behind Kyle and really no other swing as of yet. Coaches have their work cut out for them. 

I will say that there is no way he shoots 2-20 in regular season.   He's not an idiot or an ego maniac.   He kept shooting solely because it was preseason.   He'll pull back when he's cold but still the fact that he can be that cold is concerning.    Still his ball handling and ability to drive should be a big plus.     Unless he loses his spot in the rotation.   

6 hours ago, Diesel said:

The trade was a gamble with the thought in mind that we won't always have Korver.   We need to find his replacement.   Like it or not, Bud and Co. saw something in THJr.  If you watched his rookie year, you may have saw it too.     I still say, let's wait and see how he progresses during the season. 

He don't fit the system bro. Carroll fit it asap. So did Prince and Bembry. He just doesn't fit.

That doesn't mean he's not talented. He is talented. I think he can be a 7th man right now in the right situation but that's not Atlanta 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He don't fit the system bro. Carroll fit it asap. So did Prince and Bembry. He just doesn't fit.

That doesn't mean he's not talented. He is talented. I think he can be a 7th man right now in the right situation but that's not Atlanta 

I don't know.   IF we're still basically running a spurs like system then seems like Tim is supposed to fill the Manu role.    If he had consistency it seems like he is exactly what our system is missing .  Someone who knows how to score the ball.    Everyone else at the wing is a spot up shooter.   Well, not counting the rooks yet.   

Just now, macdaddy said:

I don't know.   IF we're still basically running a spurs like system then seems like Tim is supposed to fill the Manu role.    If he had consistency it seems like he is exactly what our system is missing .  Someone who knows how to score the ball.    Everyone else at the wing is a spot up shooter.   Well, not counting the rooks yet.   

He doesn't do anything near Manu. Tim is a scorer who is streaky. We had a player like this in Flip Murray. The difference is, Tim Hardaway Jr is best when he has open or good looks and doesn't have to work so hard to get open. In Atlanta, you have to move and move smartly unless you got energy like Bazemore which is unlimited. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agree with Supes.  Manu is a terrible comparison.  

In terms of shooting, he goes hot and cold at times.  He had multiple 1-8 games last year but won't be playing or shooting enough on our team to go 1-13 in a real game.  Even if he is hot, his high FGA last season was 11.

In NY he had three 5-17 games and numerous other games like 0-9, 1-8, 2-11, etc.  He just is never going to get that many shots here.  Different degree of freedom to chuck in Atlanta versus NY.

• 4 years later...

He's gone from being a Hawk and has become a Hawk killer.  When he faces Atlanta, he changes from Clark Kent to superman.  Beginning in last night's forth quarter, he laid the Hawks out and almost, by himself, buried the corpse.

:cry:

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

He's gone from being a Hawk and has become a Hawk killer.  When he faces Atlanta, he changes from Clark Kent to superman.  Beginning in last night's forth quarter, he laid the Hawks out and almost, by himself, buried the corpse.

:cry:

He was kind of a Hawk killer when he was here.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2016 at 9:39 AM, NBASupes said:

He doesn't do anything near Manu. Tim is a scorer who is streaky. We had a player like this in Flip Murray. The difference is, Tim Hardaway Jr is best when he has open or good looks and doesn't have to work so hard to get open. In Atlanta, you have to move and move smartly unless you got energy like Bazemore which is unlimited. 

You know, if there was one thing that Larry Drew was really good at, it was getting those combo guards to produce numbers above and beyond anything they had done prior to being coached by him.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Tim Hardaway is not in the same universe as Manu unless he is playing against the Hawks. Manu is a hall of famer who would have been putting Kobe Bryant-esque numbers in his prime if he was playing on a team as a number 1 option. He was an excellent defender. Hardaway JR is Flip Murray.

• Like 3