• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I’ll give my actual opinion on what this trade was. Trade value still doesn’t make sense to me but if Hardaway Jr can play more like his rookie year it’s not the worst pickup. Could’ve probably tried to get him for a second rounder and then it would’ve made more sense.

If Oubre/Portis/RHJ/Anderson turn out to be very good NBA players down the road then it makes even less sense to burn a first rounder. My pick on the board at 19 (I think) would have likely been RHJ and see if his shot could’ve been fixed or Anderson. Then call NYK and see if they’ll take a second rounder for THJ…

I keep hearing that but what incentive did NY have to trade him at all?   Why would they want to trade a contributing guy who was a first round pick and they still control for a 2nd round pick?   They might as well just keep him.   In what world is a future 2nd rounder good enough return for a guy like Tim on a rookie deal?

In other words, their only motivation to trade him at all was to get our pick.   Change that and I'm sure their happy to keep him. 

4 hours ago, AHF said:

A few great games or a few terrible games shouldn't determine anything for him.  Big picture, he is now sitting at 41.9% FG% and 32.2% 3pt% this season.  The first is very unexciting the second is below the mendoza line.  

Hopefully he rebounds from this and goes back to shooting a consistent 44% / 38% sort of line.  Speaking of line - that is the other thing he can do that Korver actually can't.  Hardaway only had 1 FTA in the last two games.  Getting to the line more often will help soften the games where his shooting is off the mark.  Looking for more of that from THJr.

Since All Star break ( 20 games )

46% FG

37.7% 3FG

82.8% FT

59.8% TS

His numbers were even better before those last 2 bad games.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 1

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

46% FG

37.7% 3FG

82.8% FT

59.8% TS

If that is what he puts up for a full 82 games it will be the best season of his career.  I'd be very happy to see that.

He is a career

41.0% FG%  (41.9% this year)

34.8% 3FG% (32.2% this year)

82.2% FT% (87.5% this year)

.534% TS% (.547% this year)

Pick 20 games of the 195 he has played so far and decide those are the only important ones if you want.  I will look at larger sample sizes.

Of course his numbers were better before he shot 4-21 the last three games.  They were much worse before he shot 24-41 the prior 4 games.  That is why you don't focus on a hot streak or a cold streak.

If you only look at a competent player's best month they will always look  better.  If you focus only on their worst month of course they will look worse.  

If you only look at Teague's 11 games in February he looks like a superstar.  Look at his December or January numbers and he looks much worse.  Look at his total season and you start getting a much more realistic perspective on his contribution this season.

I am most interested to see where THJr ends the season than what he does for '20 games if you ignore the last 2 games' sorts of slicing scenarios.  Getting to the line more is a great place to start for when he is cold.  He is a better shooter than he was the last few games and not as good as his hot streak would suggest if you only focus on that in isolation.

I guess the biggest thing for me with Hardaway is he is wildly inconsistent on offense.  He'll go through good and bad stretches.

I figured he would come back down to earth some.  The big thing is how he weathers this storm and gets back to how he has been playing recently.

The good thing is now that he is hustling and playing defense he isn't a liability on the floor even when he's shooting bad like he was in NY.

• Like 3

Just now, AUhawksfan said:

I guess the biggest thing for me with Hardaway is he is wildly inconsistent on offense.  He'll go through good and bad stretches.

I figured he would come back down to earth some.  The big thing is how he weathers this storm and gets back to how he has been playing recently.

The good thing is now that he is hustling and playing defense he isn't a liability on the floor even when he's shooting bad like he was in NY.

Progress not perfection ;-)

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

And the fact that he has more overall offensive talent and skills than any other wing on our roster hasn't changed.   

I'm with you on caring most about what he is doing for us in the playoffs.  I think you are really stretching it here.  He has the worst FG%, 3pt% and TS% out of Bazemore, THJr, Korver and Thabo this season.  Baze and Thabo are both superior defenders.  It is a flawed bunch and THJr has not shown superior skills yet except during his hot stretch.  

My hope remains for him to shoot 44%/38% with more trips to the free throw line (our wings suck at this collectively).  He isn't there yet but he's made progress.

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Progress not perfection ;-)

OMG...you made a coherent succinct concise post about what our expectations should be for THJr, there is hope for you yet :-).

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

OMG...you made a coherent succinct concise post about what our expectations should be for THJr, there is hope for you yet :-).

Lol...thanks. Did you think @kg01 wrote this? Lol

12 hours ago, Sothron said:

Everyone has bad games. The key is how he bounces back from it.

Korver sucked for a huge stretch earlier.  It's one bad game of like the last six.

12 hours ago, AHF said:

A few great games or a few terrible games shouldn't determine anything for him.  Big picture, he is now sitting at 41.9% FG% and 32.2% 3pt% this season.  The first is very unexciting the second is below the mendoza line.  

Hopefully he rebounds from this and goes back to shooting a consistent 44% / 38% sort of line.  Speaking of line - that is the other thing he can do that Korver actually can't.  Hardaway only had 1 FTA in the last two games.  Getting to the line more often will help soften the games where his shooting is off the mark.  Looking for more of that from THJr.

What are his stats from returning from sabbatical/being part of the rotation.  Post-All-star break his percentages are 46% and 37%.  These are good and happened in games where he was playing close to 20 mins/per when before he saw 6-11 mpg.

7 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

46% FG

37.7% 3FG

82.8% FT

59.8% TS

THIS.  Tim is ready.  Bud trained and humbled him.  He's contributing just in time.

7 hours ago, AHF said:

If that is what he puts up for a full 82 games it will be the best season of his career.  I'd be very happy to see that.

He is a career

41.0% FG%  (41.9% this year)

34.8% 3FG% (32.2% this year)

82.2% FT% (87.5% this year)

.534% TS% (.547% this year)

Pick 20 games of the 195 he has played so far and decide those are the only important ones if you want.  I will look at larger sample sizes.

Of course his numbers were better before he shot 4-21 the last three games.  They were much worse before he shot 24-41 the prior 4 games.  That is why you don't focus on a hot streak or a cold streak.

If you only look at a competent player's best month they will always look  better.  If you focus only on their worst month of course they will look worse.  

If you only look at Teague's 11 games in February he looks like a superstar.  Look at his December or January numbers and he looks much worse.  Look at his total season and you start getting a much more realistic perspective on his contribution this season.

I am most interested to see where THJr ends the season than what he does for '20 games if you ignore the last 2 games' sorts of slicing scenarios.  Getting to the line more is a great place to start for when he is cold.  He is a better shooter than he was the last few games and not as good as his hot streak would suggest if you only focus on that in isolation.

Throw out New York.  Losing franchise.  Players get better in winning cultures.  Bud has obviously fundamentally instill discipline in him.  Judge him as a Hawk--he was all rookie 1st team though, right?  The talent is there--development has not...til now.

VERY high on Timmy at the moment.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Don't remember the NBA live on  Genesis nearly as well as the NHL version with injuries and fights.  Jeremy Roenick was a beast.

roenickgoal.png

The best game ever made! I always wanted to be Chicago because they had a guy named Steve Smith, who was the ultimate fighter lol. We loved the brawls. :-) Outside of Chicago, I liked being the Red Wings for Stevie Yzerman and co.

ps I don't know anything about Hockey. Went to one game...93 inaugural San Jose Sharks season vs the LA Kings. 

Pps Loved the swingers scene with Vince n Sue lol..

15 hours ago, AHF said:

Don't remember the NBA live on  Genesis nearly as well as the NHL version with injuries and fights.  Jeremy Roenick was a beast.

roenickgoal.png

Man that was a fun game.  Makes my all-time top 10 list along with MVP '05, Coach K bball and others.

16 hours ago, AHF said:

roenickgoal.png

That's because it wasn't NBA Live at first. They had Lakers Vs Celtics, Blazers Vs Bulls, NBA Showdown 94. NBA Live didn't start until 1995 (I think). 

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, AHF said:

roenickgoal.png

Jeremy Roenick is my all time favorite player in any sport. He was incredible back in the day on the Blackhawks. That game was so much fun to play....

• Moderators

On the subject of the thread, crappy game for the Hawks but nice bounce back for THJr.  Still would like to see more trips to the FT line but that kind of perimeter shooting will serve the team well.

• Like 1