• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

• Premium Member

:laugh:

Me 2...or 5 or 6 or however many folks have stood up to toot their horn:

On 6/29/2015 at 1:17 PM, Wretch said:

The good news is we should find out fairly quickly if there is an ounce of efficiency in THjr.  He won't get the chance to chuck in this system.  Same with his defense.  It's a team thing that our guys take pride in.  He will hear it from all sides if he doesn't pull his own weight.

Personally, I like the trade.  I'm not excited about his defense, but again...he's going to sink or swim pretty quickly in that regard.  I do like his handles and the form on his jumper.  Bonus points for having a true scorer's mentality.  He could be a steal for us and that makes the trade worth it for me.

Admittedly, I haven't studied this draft so I don't know what we've really missed.  However, I think Tim is as good a young prospect as any - with the trade off of experience vs. cost.  Still, if he improves...we pay him in a couple of years.  If he doesn't, he's gone and we've thrown away a pick.

...wouldn't be the first we've done that.

In the end, he's a Hawk.  So you won't catch me hating on him.  Looking forward to seeing what this system can do for him.  

I liked the THjr trade and I still do. We'll see where it goes from here, but it takes a lot for me to give up on something and become a "hater."  Especially with players.  I usually don't badmouth a player until get a good feel for it MUCH further down the road.  Same goes for management decisions.

Disclaimer: Yes my Danny Ferry hate was strong right out of  the gate...but it was out of character for me.

• Like 1

I decided to skim through the first several pages of this thread to pass the time. If we ever get a chance to completely purge a thread from the internet, this one has to be a contender. Some people were really certain he would ruin our team's chemistry because he yelled at Melo one time for not grabbing a rebound. There were even promises of bumping this thread when it inevitably happened. There was quite a bit more embarrassing "analysis" from the usual suspects who only post when something bad (in their mind) happens.

Anyway, I'm not crowning him after his first great game of the season, but there's good reason to be excited about his progress. Despite shooting 3-12 in his previous 3 games, he's 34-68 from 2 and 14-34 from 3 (41%) in his last 12 games. It would be nice to see him string a few solid, higher-volume games together now. I hope Baze is healthy and all that, but I wouldn't mind seeing THJ get a crack at Harden's "defense" tomorrow night.

• Like 4

Too lazy to look up if I posted but I'm sure I said something like "The only thing I know about THjr was that THsr was his dad and I'll reserve judgement until I  see him play"

3 minutes ago, High5 said:

I decided to skim through the first several pages of this thread to pass the time. If we ever get a chance to completely purge a thread from the internet, this one has to be a contender. Some people were really certain he would ruin our team's chemistry because he yelled at Melo one time for not grabbing a rebound. There were even promises of bumping this thread when it inevitably happened. There was quite a bit more embarrassing "analysis" from the usual suspects who only post when something bad (in their mind) happens.

Anyway, I'm not crowning him after his first great game of the season, but there's good reason to be excited about his progress. Despite shooting 3-12 in his previous 3 games, he's 34-68 from 2 and 14-34 from 3 (41%) in his last 12 games. It would be nice to see him string a few solid, higher-volume games together now. I hope Baze is healthy and all that, but I wouldn't mind seeing THJ get a crack at Harden's "defense" tomorrow night.

I got to page 12 and stopped - classic.

• Premium Member

Yeah, as one of the more optimistic voices here (he said proudly), it will take more than one game against the Denver Nuggettes, made even more impotent than usual, to get me excited that we've seen a corner turned. But seeing something impressive against anyone is better than seeing nothing. So keep it rollin THjr. Build that confidence.

• Like 1

There are some great, cryptic ones...

On June 26, 2015 at 9:56 PM, Q45T said:

You'll see... you'll all see.

Some unbelievable...

On June 26, 2015 at 10:06 PM, Hotlanta1981 said:

Carroll is the same player he was in Utah with the exception of shooting and the same can be said for Millsap. Coach  Bud really hasn't made anyone that much better.

And another great one from some smart handsome dude...

On June 26, 2015 at 10:34 PM, benhillboy said:

I always liked his frame, he had much better stretches of good play his rookie season. I like his potential, and of course he's better next year than any 15th pick. And you say he's cheaper than the pick would've been? I don't see how anyone could be against this. Chucking and playing no defense is just the example allowed to be set by Carmelo, no one played D for that dumpster fire besides Shump.

Good pedigree, his dad is a good guy to have around the team, and he should flourish being around some actual professionals after a rigorous Summer League and camp. I'm on board.

• Like 4

On 3/18/2016 at 6:04 PM, benhillboy said:

There are some great, cryptic ones...

Some unbelievable...

And another great one from some smart handsome dude...

I remember that middle one by @Hotlanta1981 VERY well :doh:

8 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It took him over half the season to have a more than solid game and you're bragging. lol

If you say that now KNOWING that he didn't dress and/or DNP-CD'd early on due to his previous wrist injury and subsequent lack of conditioning then you're just being obtuse. I'm gonna go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't aware :blink:

9 hours ago, hazer said:

If you say that now KNOWING that he didn't dress and/or DNP-CD'd early on due to his previous wrist injury and subsequent lack of conditioning then you're just being obtuse. I'm gonna go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you weren't aware :blink:

Well, I wasn't being totally serious. I guess that it's hard to tell the difference, but he is still mostly a one trick pony of a player. Which I pointed out from the start. A couple of good scoring games isn't going to change my mind.

9 hours ago, hazer said:

I remember that middle one by @Hotlanta1981 VERY well :doh:

It was correct then and its still correct now.

Carroll's production was basically the same in Utah in his final season compared to what he did here if you go on a per minute basis.

The homers have been quiet all season and all of a sudden they want to do the whole "How could anyone doubt the team and coach Bud" thing after a few weeks of good play. Funny stuff.

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It was correct then and its still correct now.

Carroll's production was basically the same in Utah in his final season compared to what he did here if you go on a per minute basis.

The homers have been quiet all season and all of a sudden they want to do the whole "How could anyone doubt the team and coach Bud" thing after a few weeks of good play. Funny stuff.

Homers, you mean fans? And I've been loud and clear all season on THJr, nothing is all of a sudden. It's you Miserable Ones who go quiet for long periods when there's not a whole lot to groan about.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Well, I wasn't being totally serious. I guess that it's hard to tell the difference, but he is still mostly a one trick pony of a player. Which I pointed out from the start. A couple of good scoring games isn't going to change my mind.

I don't get it.......What's his one trick?

3 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The prevailing thought by most who hated the trade was that he was 'a no defense playing chucker.'  That doesn't seem to be the case even if you discount his last 2 games.

His rookie season was ok, his 2nd season was pretty much a disaster.... how is his 3rd season from when he was a regular  rotation player? (from 2016 I think). Is he getting better, is the potential there to keep getting better. That's what we need from our young players to supplement  our vets.

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Same here, I'm confused. He's shooting, passing, dishing, rebounding, stealing, defending, hustling, slashing, dunking, making his FTs, that's about 10 tricks.

• Like 4

• Moderators
On 3/20/2016 at 1:50 PM, hazer said:

Same here, I'm confused. He's shooting, passing, dishing, rebounding, stealing, defending, hustling, slashing, dunking, making his FTs, that's about 10 tricks.

To be real, he is shooting the hell out of the ball and doing his Kyle Korver impression on the rest of the floor (limited production elsewhere).  The good news is that solid positional defense and good shooting is good enough!  You don't have to pretend that he is an all-around beast.   He is plenty good enough being who he is right now.

He is among the least productive on entire team in assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks.  His defense has improved from beyond woeful to decent.  He has shot like crap the entire season until the last 10 games where he has been on fire.  Because of his limited playing time this year, it doesn't take much to move the needle on the numbers and he has improved to 42.9% (career high!) from the floor and 33% from 3pt range.

If the last 10 games constitutes a season then I'm all in on him.  He's hot right now and looking good.  I am actually very happy with the improvement we've been seeing.

Lets see where he goes with this for the rest of the year and actually focus on what he does before getting too over the moon and proclaim him the new NBA career leader in shooting, passing, dishing, rebounding, steals, defending, etc.

During his March hot streak he is averaging:

1.6 FTA per game

1.6 rebounds per game

0.7 assists per game

0.6 steals per game

0.0 blocks per game

That isn't all around excellence but when you add in his low turnovers, solid positional D and high shooting numbers it looks very good.  

• Like 1