Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

This s board is clown fodder. How about all the couch executives wait to see how this thing plays out. I did not care for the trade at first myself , but considering how outraged some of the GM's on this board seem to be of this trade , I am really starting to love this trade considering this boards record at predictions

clown fodder? That's funny.  Since when can't people voice displeasure without being considered clowns or whatever?   I'm no GM, but I'm a fan.  If I want to say, "I don't like the trade," I think I can do so intelligently without playing the message board police guy.  I was against the trade because I believe there were better ways to maneuver to get Hardaway if that was your guy.  I have a wait and see approach, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about the way draft night went down.

The bottom line is that this move means that Bud and company weren't impressed with the guys left on the board by the 15th pick. If Booker, Winslows, etc. were still available when we picked we would not have traded out. 

clown fodder? That's funny. Since when can't people voice displeasure without being considered clowns or whatever? I'm no GM, but I'm a fan. If I want to say, "I don't like the trade," I think I can do so intelligently without playing the message board police guy. I was against the trade because I believe there were better ways to maneuver to get Hardaway if that was your guy. I have a wait and see approach, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about the way draft night went down.

Being displeased and being whiney is two different things. Lots of folks are being whiney. Maybe clown fodder was to strong? How about pre-K?

Irony is I was voicing my feelings on things as well in the post you quoted friend. I try not to ruffle feathers but can be a bit to honest at times

• Like 1

Can we get a recap? I missed it.

• Happy to be Hawk
  • difficult situation in NY
  • Says playing against the Hawks was tough
  • See's this as the perfect fit
  • Sr. pushed him hard, but eased up when he needed to
  • Had never considered UM until he was recruited
  • Looking forward to the season

It was a quick intro interview coming off the press conference.

• Like 1

Being displeased and being whiney is two different things. Lots of folks are being whiney. Maybe clown fodder was to strong? How about pre-K?

Irony is I was voicing my feelings on things as well in the post you quoted friend. I try not to ruffle feathers but can be a bit to honest at times

LOL. Point well received.  In the end, we all want the Hawks to get to where we want them to be: Champions.  I never railed against Ferry and agreed/disagreed with a few things he did as well.  Bud does deserve the benefit of the doubt...so we'll see.

BTW....no such thing as too honest.  Just bring it...

• Moderators

clown fodder? That's funny.  Since when can't people voice displeasure without being considered clowns or whatever?   I'm no GM, but I'm a fan.  If I want to say, "I don't like the trade," I think I can do so intelligently without playing the message board police guy.  I was against the trade because I believe there were better ways to maneuver to get Hardaway if that was your guy.  I have a wait and see approach, but it doesn't mean I'm happy about the way draft night went down.

That is where I ultimately come out.  I don't philosophically like giving up on the best pick we are likely to see for the next few years for a guy who hasn't shown it yet, but I can get around the idea that Bud sees the tools and sees how much better he will be in our system.  I just feel like we paid for the guy Bud sees instead of the guy who actually played last year and that is not a smart way to trade.  People buy underperforming stocks at market value and then reap the rewards when they increase in value, not at whatever value the they think the company will end up trading at.

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

That is where I ultimately come out.  I don't philosophically like giving up on the best pick we are likely to see for the next few years for a guy who hasn't shown it yet, but I can get around the idea that Bud sees the tools and sees how much better he will be in our system.  I just feel like we paid for the guy Bud sees instead of the guy who actually played last year and that is not a smart way to trade.  People buy underperforming stocks at market value and then reap the rewards when they increase in value, not at whatever value the they think the company will end up trading at.

Okay, but if you want to go there, do you not also have to acknowledge that people do the same with emerging market stocks/funds?

It's ALL projecting from what's been seen to what might be.

• Moderators

Okay, but if you want to go there, do you not also have to acknowledge that people do the same with emerging market stocks/funds?

It's ALL projecting from what's been seen to what might be.

Yes.  You don't pay what you think an emerging market will ultimately be worth.  You pay the current market price when you think it is going to be worth more later.  When the current price is more than you think it will ultimately be worth, you don't invest there.  I feel like we paid the future price instead of the current price which is not a good buying practice.  I do like the emerging market analogy with Hardaway because those are more volatile markets that see some huge gains and losses.  I assume that Bud sees the possibility for Hardaway blowing up and turning into a huge gain whereas Hardaway's play last year would represent a huge loss.

• Like 2

Yes.  You don't pay what you think an emerging market will ultimately be worth.  You pay the current market price when you think it is going to be worth more later.  When the current price is more than you think it will ultimately be worth, you don't invest there.  I feel like we paid the future price instead of the current price which is not a good buying practice.  I do like the emerging market analogy with Hardaway because those are more volatile markets that see some huge gains and losses.  I assume that Bud sees the possibility for Hardaway blowing up and turning into a huge gain whereas Hardaway's play last year would represent a huge loss.

I didn't put it as eloquent, but that's the point.  I'm hoping our player development does what it has for several players who came here with negative connotations attached to them.  It's fair to think that we could have played the "market" a little wiser.  Anyone can say after the fact, "We're surprised NY got a first for him," after the fact.  But playing the draft MAY have netted you the ability to get him, but not at the price you paid.  Unless we were worried that he had that many suitors trying to trade for him.

• Premium Member

To be expected, but fwiw, Hardaway did say all of the right things in today's presser... as did Bud... particularly about 2/3 of the way through when defense was the topic.

• Premium Member

Paid projected price instead of current price?

I have great respect for you AHF... you know I do... but as I look down this list of #19 draftees, I have some significant trouble with that premise...

2015-06-29_1723.png

Certainly, there are some names in the mix, but when you take the whole of the list and consider the risk profile relative to our situation, and then add that we gained two throw-in draft picks to boot, my optimism seems substantiated.

"Well, that's #19... but we essentially traded #15..."

Okay, what if we did that?... Here's that list.

2015-06-29_1732.png

Again, a few names. But don't just sit on the names... look at the whole of the chart. I just can't get to where you appear to be on this one.

• Moderators

Check out the full press conference from this afternoon introducing Tim Hardaway Jr. as the newest member of the Atlanta Hawks

Posted by

Atlanta Hawks

on Monday, 29 June 2015

• Like 1