• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

He said during the rookie game it was Hardaway and another rookie that were playing above every one else.

He's probably referring THJ and Dion Waiters. Both of them shot lights out during that game, everyone else just stepped aside and let those two go at each other. Pretty good stuff. You can YouTube the highlights of that game.

As bad as I am here, I will lose my #$*& if we sign Monta Ellis to go with him. Just be prepared.

picard-double-facepalm-o.gif

I'm in the same boat. I'll lose a lot of faith if we sign Monta...like a lot.

I really think you can throw most of THJ's numbers from last year out. He was playing for a totally dysfunctional team. The Knicks were terrible on defense as a team. Hard to have good D-Efficiency when the help defense is non existent and half the team quits trying. He was also playing in a poorly executed triangle offense with no center to anchor the triangle and demand interior help. If the point of the triangle is a non factor the wing had to carry the load and will not have midrange spacing to facilitate a drive or midrange pull up game. TMJ was asked to do WAY more in NYC than he was capable of at the time. I can see why if his options inside the offense are limited but he has to score that he started chucking threes.

He is young and can grow his game. We know he can at least be a rotational player in the NBA. Any pick in our range that's all you really hope for. With our system to open floor space and help defense he could really improve and maybe show the potential from when he was first team all rookie season.

Not saying we just got our SG for the next 5 years that will torch the league but we got an experienced NBA player for less money than a totally unproven rookie (our experience with pics here hasn't been stellar either).

Trade made sense financially. Bud probably didn't like anybody available in our spots as he definitely saw more of them than any of us.

I am willing to give THJ the chance to show what he can do and bring to our second unit.

We also stashed 2nd rounders which rarely amount to much but can be ammunition to move up in a future draft if we really want a player and hopefully we will be picking late for the foreseeable future.

The added depth also may allow us to be players in the sign and trade and straight up trade market. I think everyone should at least wait and see how this plays out before declaring our future ruined over not taking an college SF's that all had on obvious holes in their game or they would be lottery picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post

I'm in the same boat. I'll lose a lot of faith if we sign Monta...like a lot.

I won't lose faith but I seriously doubt that happens now that we have Hardaway jr.....so nothing to worry about, Bud got the SG he wanted

Koonin was on 92.9 The Game as I was driving home. He was saying they had a lot of offers they were entertaining, but then when NYK called offering Hardaway, everyone kind of looked up and started paying attention. He implied they all got that "are you serious" look on their face. We all know how Koonin can paint a rosy picture, but he genuinely seemed to think that everyone in the room considered Hardaway a steal with what they gave up, and a bigtime diamond in the rough. He talked about how he really fits everything we're about - the space and pace game, personality, athleticism, etc...

He also talked a bit about how Tim hasn't been coached well yet, and how Bud felt he still has a lot of untapped potential once he gets with our coaches and in our system. Said his game is so much more than what he's been able to show so far with the Knicks. He didn't come out and say this, but from the tone of the discussion I think he really felt like everyone in the draft room thinks Hardaway is going to develop into our starting SG in the near future, and everyone was very excited to pick him up.

I'm just relaying what Koonin was saying, not making any predictions myself.

Honestly these are the things that get me excited! I just can't go against bud...he hasn't made any huge mistakes and this is a extremely low risk with a high risk outcome deal.

The crazy thing about all of this is that people were going gaga over Kent Bazemore and the offensive potential he supposedly showed as a Laker. But a guy like Hardaway Jr can't get the benefit of the doubt, after seeing him in the league for 2 years?

People have to simply trust that Bud can get that kid ... and he's still a kid in basketball years ... to play to the best of his ability.

• Like 2

The crazy thing about all of this is that people were going gaga over Kent Bazemore and the offensive potential he supposedly showed as a Laker. But a guy like Hardaway Jr can't get the benefit of the doubt, after seeing him in the league for 2 years?

People have to simply trust that Bud can get that kid ... and he's still a kid in basketball years ... to play to the best of his ability.

We didn't have to give up a first rounder for Bazemore.
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Judging him on how well he did defensively on the Knicks last season is why no one here is a GM.   We need a 2 guard, we need scoring off the bench,   Did anyone notice that Shelvin Mack was our 2 guard taking last minute shots in the most important games of the year?  Did anyone notice JR Smith absolutely bury us with 3 pointers in the playoffs?

• Moderators

Did anyone notice JR Smith absolutely bury us with 3 pointers in the playoffs?

The lack of D will clearly help with that!  Or maybe the 34% 3pt shot is the answer?

Hope he improves his D big time and sees much better shot opportunities here leading to a big jump.  As I've said before, there are concerns for me as a player but I absolutely believe NY would have taken less and that we paid a premium price.

• Premium Member

The good news is we should find out fairly quickly if there is an ounce of efficiency in THjr.  He won't get the chance to chuck in this system.  Same with his defense.  It's a team thing that our guys take pride in.  He will hear it from all sides if he doesn't pull his own weight.

Personally, I like the trade.  I'm not excited about his defense, but again...he's going to sink or swim pretty quickly in that regard.  I do like his handles and the form on his jumper.  Bonus points for having a true scorer's mentality.  He could be a steal for us and that makes the trade worth it for me.

Admittedly, I haven't studied this draft so I don't know what we've really missed.  However, I think Tim is as good a young prospect as any - with the trade off of experience vs. cost.  Still, if he improves...we pay him in a couple of years.  If he doesn't, he's gone and we've thrown away a pick.

...wouldn't be the first we've done that.

In the end, he's a Hawk.  So you won't catch me hating on him.  Looking forward to seeing what this system can do for him.

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 2

• Moderators

The good news is we should find out fairly quickly if there is an ounce of efficiency in THjr.  He won't get the chance to chuck in this system.  Same with this defense.  It's a team thing that our guys take pride in.  He will hear it from all sides if he doesn't pull his own weight.

Personally, I like the trade.  I'm not excited about his defense, but again...he's going to sink or swim pretty quickly in that regard.  I do like his handles and the form on his jumper.  Bonus points for having a true scorer's mentality.  He could be a steal for us and that makes the trade worth it for me.

Admittedly, I haven't studied this draft so I don't know what we've really missed.  However, I think Tim is as good a young prospect as any - with the tradeoff of experience vs. cost.  Still, if he improves...we pay him in a couple of years.  If he doesn't and he's gone and we've thrown away a pick.

...wouldn't be the first we've done that.

In the end, he's a Hawk.  So you won't catch me hating on him.  Looking forward to seeing what this system can do for him.

Whether Bud got a good deal or not I can't say.  But the difference is that Bud doesn't look at whether the player already fits what we need, but whether the player has the tools and the attitude to fit.   That's the first thing he said on draft night was 'get him into our player development system'.   He obviously thinks he can make him a better player than he already is.

• Like 1

Anybody else think the "leaked" anti-Kristaps comments attributed to Melo were a final F U from Hardaway to Melo?

Oh so you got the big spoon, start stirring baby doll..