• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tim Hardaway Jr is a Hawk

ATLHawks3

• Moderators

Paid projected price instead of current price?

I have great respect for you AHF... you know I do... but as I look down this list of #19 draftees, I have some significant trouble with that premise...

2015-06-29_1723.png

Certainly, there are some names in the mix, but when you take the whole of the list and consider the risk profile relative to our situation, and then add that we gained two throw-in draft picks to boot, my optimism seems substantiated.

"Well, that's #19... but we essentially traded #15..."

Okay, what if we did that?... Here's that list.

2015-06-29_1732.png

Again, a few names. But don't just sit on the names... look at the whole of the chart. I just can't get to where you appear to be on this one.

I'm going to avoid going into this too much because I want to stop beating THJ into the ground with negativity based on his performance last season (and his D and rebounding both seasons).  Let's just say that I value the #15 pick a lot more than you do and agree to disagree.  I will note that the eggsperts thought we overpaid as well and the Knicks reportedly didn't even think they could get a first rounder, let alone a top 20 pick.

10 was his original number (his dad) but it was retired in NY (Clyde).

His dad had wore #5 because #10 was taken by Manute at the time.

Ps If anyone is interested in a Manute signed autograph from 1988, I got one. ;-)

Yes.  You don't pay what you think an emerging market will ultimately be worth.  You pay the current market price when you think it is going to be worth more later.  When the current price is more than you think it will ultimately be worth, you don't invest there.  I feel like we paid the future price instead of the current price which is not a good buying practice.  I do like the emerging market analogy with Hardaway because those are more volatile markets that see some huge gains and losses.  I assume that Bud sees the possibility for Hardaway blowing up and turning into a huge gain whereas Hardaway's play last year would represent a huge loss.

This is where I agree, you can't make me think he's worth more than Mason Plumblee because he's not. He's a 2nd round value at best right now. Maybe he develops and becomes a top 10 SG with the Hawks, still doesn't change the fact we overpaid. Then again, I think Kyle Korver for capspace was an overpay. I wanted him and a 2nd from the Bulls but looking at it now, it seems like an bargain. Not sure I will feel the same about this move. I think Grant could at least play PG in the triangle Day 1 and do average. I think it was fair to some degree but the 19th pick is worth more than Tim Hardaway even if the player they took isn't.

The idea that Carroll and Millsap's game as evolved a lot while being here is overblown.

Sure, they improved their shooting... But the rest of the game is what it was before they got here.

I'd say they made lot of improvement so in their skill on the court. Caroll improved his handles as well as his accuracy from three point range. Millsap also hit more threes here than he ever has in his career.

I read this whole thread but didn't see anybody talking about Hardaway at Michigan State.  I watched him play at least half a dozen times.  He just wasn't very good.  He didn't show much offensive talent.  Hardly anybody looks more talented in the NBA than they did in college.  I can't think of a single example off the top of my head.  There are plenty of underachievers in college who blossom in the pros, but they always flashed their talent in college.

• Moderators

I read this whole thread but didn't see anybody talking about Hardaway at Michigan State.  

I think that is because he played at Michigan!  (Says the smart #$* response).

• Like 1

I read this whole thread but didn't see anybody talking about Hardaway at Michigan State.  I watched him play at least half a dozen times.  He just wasn't very good.  He didn't show much offensive talent.  Hardly anybody looks more talented in the NBA than they did in college.  I can't think of a single example off the top of my head.  There are plenty of underachievers in college who blossom in the pros, but they always flashed their talent in college.

crazy.gif

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I called it 7 months ago.

So did I:

Gradingthe offseason

THJr will be this year's pleasantsurprise performance.The system, coach, and atmosphere are completely different in ATL and this kid's a competitor. He'll thrive. How do you bookmark a post? I'd like to revisit this one for an "I told'ya so".
  • Like 3