• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grading the offseason

macdaddy

• Moderators

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/08/19/atlanta-hawks-grading-offseason/

I thought this was a pretty good assessment.   I can understand knocking hardaway's defense but i'm not sure why he's getting so punished for shot selection and lack of passing on a horrible, horrible knicks team.   He's not going to be a playmaker for us.

• Moderators

I thought the quote was appropriate on THJ (me paraphrasing):  Tell me how Atlanta will fix Hardaway and I'm happy to listen.  Tell how Hardaway was good and I'm done.  He is getting punished because we gave up the #15 pick for him and two years of team control for him.  He has been one of the worst defenders in the entire league both seasons (according to the numbers) and he shot last year a little better than a solid year for Josh Smith on jumpers.  Hopefully Bud sees a hot rod with a busted engine that he will fix.

• Like 1

THJr will be this year's pleasant surprise performance. The system, coach, and atmosphere are completely different in ATL and this kid's a competitor. He'll thrive. How do you bookmark a post? I'd like to revisit this one for an "I told'ya so".

• Like 1

THJr will be this year's pleasant surprise performance. The system, coach, and atmosphere are completely different in ATL and this kid's a competitor. He'll thrive. How do you bookmark a post? I'd like to revisit this one for an "I told'ya so".

Agreed. He's been bottled up in NY and wants to win. Add me to the "told ya" list :-)

• Moderators

DMC's didn't transform, he refined.  He got more minutes and shot the ball better.  He was a defensive plus guy in Utah and put up almost identical stats per minute in both places other than shooting %.  I think DMC expanded into a bigger opportunity but that his revolutionary development is overblown.

• Like 2

At 23 years old and the Hawks player development program, I'm confident that they'll work with him to improve his game and put him in situations where he can be most successful. (as long as he buys in which I think he will).

Regarding his defense, we know how Bud operates, no defense, no court time so he has to give a defensive effort, it'll be a work in progress.

DMC's didn't transform, he refined.  He got more minutes and shot the ball better.  He was a defensive plus guy in Utah and put up almost identical stats per minute in both places other than shooting %.  I think DMC expanded into a bigger opportunity but that his revolutionary development is overblown.

Totally. I've said this a few times.

The Hawks are gambling on unknowns (Hardaway Jr, Justin Holiday) and injury prone players (Thabo, Splitter, Richardson, Horford) to get them through this year. I would also be worried about Kyle since he is aging and he started to pick up injuries last year. It's one of those things where they could possibly hit 50-55 wins if everyone stays healthy and someone on the team surprises people, but if the injury bug hits it will be next years excuse for failure.

• Moderators

At 23 years old and the Hawks player development program, I'm confident that they'll work with him to improve his game and put him in situations where he can be most successful. (as long as he buys in which I think he will).

Regarding his defense, we know how Bud operates, no defense, no court time so he has to give a defensive effort, it'll be a work in progress.

John Jenkins was 23 last year along with 23 year old Adreian Payne.  Neither got any better under our player development program.  

I am rooting for the development and payoff here, just a bit scared of us banking on it like it is a given.  

• Like 1

John Jenkins was 23 last year along with 23 year old Adreian Payne. Neither got any better under our player development program.

I am rooting for the development and payoff here, just a bit scared of us banking on it like it is a given.

Neither got any playing because of quality players ahead of them in the rotation to determine if they actually got better.

• Moderators

Neither got any playing because of quality players ahead of them in the rotation to determine if they actually got better.

Bud strikes me as a guy who is supremely confident in his ability to measure whether players will develop to a point that they can be rotation guys once he has them in the Hawks' program.   I'm guessing he never believed either Payne or Jenkins could do that which is why he didn't bother playing them.  

On a related, un-related note, Kendall Gill has made my list of brazen idiots.  Says the Hawks took the biggest step backward this offseason having lost Carroll.  Gave no "insight" to support this assertion.  Also didn't explain how we took a bigger step back than Portland.

Idiot.

http://hoopshabit.com/2015/08/19/atlanta-hawks-grading-offseason/

I thought this was a pretty good assessment. I can understand knocking hardaway's defense but i'm not sure why he's getting so punished for shot selection and lack of passing on a horrible, horrible knicks team. He's not going to be a playmaker for us.

Jeff has said before that Coach Bud taught him the value of sharing the ball. Of course, Jeff wasn't ever a gunner like THJ is, but why can't we have faith that Coach Bud will teach him the value of that as well? After all, they believed they could do it enough to make the trade.

Enviado desde mi SM-G360V mediante Tapatalk

On a related, un-related note, Kendall Gill has made my list of brazen idiots. Says the Hawks took the biggest step backward this offseason having lost Carroll. Gave no "insight" to support this assertion. Also didn't explain how we took a bigger step back than Portland.

Idiot.

He's just pissed because he ran out of lip gloss. Lol

On a related, un-related note, Kendall Gill has made my list of brazen idiots.  Says the Hawks took the biggest step backward this offseason having lost Carroll.  Gave no "insight" to support this assertion.  Also didn't explain how we took a bigger step back than Portland.

Idiot.

What would Kendall Gill know about winning in the NBA?

Maybe Jimmy Jackson can offer his opinion next.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Moderators

Jenkins was on the team for 3 years.  I think we had plenty of time to assess him.  We've gone through injuries at times to a lot of wings the last couple years and he has just never broken in.  He never developed to the point where we could even play him token minutes during a SG/SF shortage.

With Payne, we clearly determined that he was not going to develop and dumped him.  That wasn't just about us having too many PF/Cs on the roster.  Dennis came in with Teague and Mack ahead of him and we have successfully developed him.

We have a track record of seeing real improvement from some of our guys and not much improvement from others.  Hopefully, THJ will end up in the former bucket.

Jenkins was on the team for 3 years. I think we had plenty of time to assess him. We've gone through injuries at times to a lot of wings the last couple years and he has just never broken in. He never developed to the point where we could even play him token minutes during a SG/SF shortage.

With Payne, we clearly determined that he was not going to develop and dumped him. That wasn't just about us having too many PF/Cs on the roster. Dennis came in with Teague and Mack ahead of him and we have successfully developed him.

We have a track record of seeing real improvement from some of our guys and not much improvement from others. Hopefully, THJ will end up in the former bucket.

Jenkins 1st year was with LD, his 2nd year was under Bud (when they instituted the player development program) and he was injured and had back surgery. Last season he wasn't going to play ahead of anybody.

Regarding Payne it seems as if Bud didn't see the improvement he expected and cut bait.

Jenkins 1st year was with LD, his 2nd year was under Bud (when they instituted the player development program) and he was injured and had back surgery. Last season he wasn't going to play ahead of anybody.

Regarding Payne it seems as if Bud didn't see the improvement he expected and cut bait.

Jenkins could put the ball in the bucket and it sure seemed like he developed a lot of different offensive weapons from year 1. Looked like he got some very improved handles and got a lot more comfortable driving to the basket. He surprised me most of the time when he actually got minutes. It just seemed like he couldnt get things to work defensively.

Would be nice to have Payne as a backup for Scott now, but unfortunately Coach Bud cant see into the future. I think he may have had sinilar defensive issues.