• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tiago Splitter traded to hawks

GrimeyKidd

I knew Georgios would be traded. If someone could manage to get him in the NBA, he could have a Luis Scola like impact but he loves Euro ball too much. 

Scola was dominant in Spain. They are not in the same level. I like Printezis anyway. That Tau Ceramica team was great... they went to the Final Four a few consicutive years. They also had Splitter, who became the leader after Scola left to the NBA. 

This trade blows my mind we gave up the 15th pick in the draft and got THJ, but trade a 30 year old 2nd round prospect and top 55 protected pick for Tiago Splitter. This is like bizzaro world. Those two trades are polar opposites. One makes me want the puke and the other makes me want to do the running man. Great pickup by Wilcox.

This trade blows my mind we gave up the 15th pick in the draft and got THJ, but trade a 30 year old 2nd round prospect and top 55 protected pick for Tiago Splitter. This is like bizzaro world. Those two trades are polar opposites. One makes me want the puke and the other makes me want to do the running man. Great pickup by Wilcox.

You have to consider the age difference. And also Budcox obviously thinks highly of Hardaway for them to make that move. I'm pretty confident Hardaway will be a starting wing for us no later than 2017, and probably earlier. If everything goes according to plan, he looks like Korver's backup for now, and eventual replacement. And by that I mean the offensive threat on the wing that creates the space for the rest of the team to operate, and is a solid team defender, but lacking in individual defense - just like Korver.

And no, I don't think he's at Korer's level on any of that yet. That's why he's a developmental player.

different circumstances.

1. we wanted to trade out pick at draftnight because nothing left on the board Budcox liked. Took the best offer they got.

2. Spurs needed to get rid of Splitter without getting a player back, because they needed cap space to get LA and to keep other core pieces. Every GM knew about this fact so no better deal around for Splitter. Maybe there was a better deal but they didn't want to make a west team better. In fact they traded Splitter for LA and a protected 2nd rounder...

Edited by rd79

different circumstances.

1. we wanted to trade out pick at draftnight because nothing left on the board Budcox liked. Took the best offer they got.

2. Spurs needed to get rid of Splitter without getting a player back, because they needed cap space to get LA and to keep other core pieces. Every GM knew about this fact so no better deal around for Splitter. Maybe there was a better deal but they didn't want to make a west team better. In fact they traded Splitter for LA and a protected 2nd rounder...

I get all the dynamics at work, but it doesn't make the two trades in conjunction any less ironic. You can't convince me there wasn't another team underneath the cap that was willing to offer better picks and eat Tiago's salary. The Tiago trade was all about our front offices relationship with the Spurs front office, so I'm giving Budcox props for being shrewd and working their relationships. On the flip side you can't convince me there was another team in the NBA that would have ate THJ salary and gave up the 15 pick and the draft to do it. The dichotomy between these two moves makes it hard to believe it came out of the same front office.

Here's where I want agree with you Budcox must love THJ as a prospect a lot. I really hope that's the case and not that they panicked on draft night. Like I've always said I don't have an issue with the trade or player, but the value proposition seems way out of whack. Even when you have a great feel about an investment, you don't want to outbid yourself.

• Like 1

I get all the dynamics at work, but it doesn't make the two trades in conjunction any less ironic. You can't convince me there wasn't another team underneath the cap that was willing to offer better picks and eat Tiago's salary. The Tiago trade was all about our front offices relationship with the Spurs front office, so I'm giving Budcox props for being shrewd and working their relationships. On the flip side you can't convince me there was another team in the NBA that would have ate THJ salary and gave up the 15 pick and the draft to do it. The dichotomy between these two moves makes it hard to believe it came out of the same front office.

Here's where I want agree with you Budcox must love THJ as a prospect a lot. I really hope that's the case and not that they panicked on draft night. Like I've always said I don't have an issue with the trade or player, but the value proposition seems way out of whack. Even when you have a great feel about an investment, you don't want to outbid yourself.

For me both trades are similar in one way: In both cases the seller seems to make the worse deal.

If you have to hurry as a seller you can't be picky.

As I already wrote I can imagine Spurs had better offers but didn't want to make a western opponent better.

Additionally I can imagine the asked Splitter about his preferences, but I'd bet they had no much better offers from eastern teams, because they are professionals and don't make a bad trade because they like the buyer...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Given that SA might have found a taker for this kind of deal with any of several teams, it sure is reassuring to know that Popford made the deal with their old bud, Bud... helps to have friends among your competitors.

• Like 3

• Moderators

The reason, other than age, that THJ cost more in trade assets is that he will be restricted when he hits free agency in two years.

The biggest reason for the cost difference is leverage. SA was motivated to unload Splitter with no money returning and they didn't want to deal him to a WC team. Leverage to ATL.

We had a matter of minutes to unload our pick and had limited options in that time. Leverage NY.

• Like 1

I just get the feeling that Bud sees himself as an NBA professional basketball coach and doesn't really want to get into dealing with these real young guys.  The colleges aren't really keeping the players that long and it becomes a crapshoot.  Why not just get players who at least have a couple years under their belt in the league (for the most part) - who still have potential - and who you know aren't going to go crazy when they get their first paycheck?

Sure, you take a chance here and there with high potential youth, (Dennis...Edy), but for the most part you minimize your babysitting chores and concentrate on your system.

Even if we had kept and used the 15th pick I was for taking the best PF coming out of college with some evaluation years behind him (Junior or Senior). 

To liken it to Texas Hold-em poker...going for the best available athlete at the 15th spot in the draft is like raising big against a full table with Q-10.  Sure it occasionally works out - but if you do that all the time instead of playing the odds, you won't be a poker player for long.

Trust in Bud to_keep_order.gif

I just get the feeling that Bud sees himself as an NBA professional basketball coach and doesn't really want to get into dealing with these real young guys. The colleges aren't really keeping the players that long and it becomes a crapshoot. Why not just get players who at least have a couple years under their belt in the league (for the most part) - who still have potential - and who you know aren't going to go crazy when they get their first paycheck?

Sure, you take a chance here and there with high potential youth, (Dennis...Edy), but for the most part you minimize your babysitting chores and concentrate on your system.

Even if we had kept and used the 15th pick I was for taking the best PF coming out of college with some evaluation years behind him (Junior or Senior).

To liken it to Texas Hold-em poker...going for the best available athlete at the 15th spot in the draft is like raising big against a full table with Q-10. Sure it occasionally works out - but if you do that all the time instead of playing the odds, you won't be a poker player for long.

Trust in Bud to_keep_order.gif

I'm sure if the player(s) they targeted were there he would have selected him.

I'm sure if the player(s) they targeted were there he would have selected him.

I totally agree.  If the right player was there - who they thought was worth the effort - they would have drafted him.  It's all about value for Budcox. 

Luckily it seems (at this point anyway) that we have team management that can assign pretty true value to players.  It's always a gamble to some degree, the key is to get the odds in your favor (even if just a bit).

Plus they likely already knew they had the Splitter deal in their back pocket.

The biggest reason for the cost difference is leverage. SA was motivated to unload Splitter with no money returning and they didn't want to deal him to a WC team. Leverage to ATL.

We had a matter of minutes to unload our pick and had limited options in that time. Leverage NY.

Which begs the question why not just make the pick instead of trading from a position where you have little leverage or more likely time to find the optimal trade. The player could have been moved after the draft too. I bet Denver would have listened to that offer for Wilson Chandler, but of course we wanted to shed salary for some reason. I'm not really sure why since DMC was told they had to chose between him or SAP; I guess they were expecting him to get a offer in the 12m range despite reports to the contrary.

The salary that we saved contributed to our ability to trade for Tiago without moving Mack or Scott, but that could have been solved by moving one or both of them.

I guess timing is everything. Say what you will about Roy Hibbert but he infinitely more accomplished than THJ and was just traded for a second round pick. 28 year old two time all star, 2nd team all defensive compared to a guy whose claim to fame is all rookie team and almost breaking 40% field goal barrier once. Obviously contract and relationships souring in Indiana contribute here, but I think my point is still valid.

Edited by ATLien_

• Moderators

I totally agree. If the right player was there - who they thought was worth the effort - they would have drafted him. It's all about value for Budcox.

Luckily it seems (at this point anyway) that we have team management that can assign pretty true value to players. It's always a gamble to some degree, the key is to get the odds in your favor (even if just a bit).

Plus they likely already knew they had the Splitter deal in their back pocket.

We've been pretty bleh with our first rounders.

Jenkins wasn't worth keeping through his rookie deal

Bebe was given away for nothing

Payne was dumped for a pick that could be a second rounder at worst or the same pick he was at best but several years later

That isn't a great track record. Surprising given how good the second round track record has been.

For goodness sakes...we lost DMC and have basically FLOODED our roster with potential replacements.

We are in great shape.

Guards:  Jeff, Dennis, Mack

Tweeners:  Kyle Korver, Thabo, Jr., Holiday, Baze

Inside guys:  Horford, Paul Milsap, Splitter, Moose

That is 12 players....yes.gif

• Like 2

Eric Pincus: The Hawks waived Austin Daye, paid Walter Tavares $1 mil, got Splitter (w/ trade kicker) – Millsap took slight discount @BBallInsiders 

– via Twitter EricPincus

Austin Daye, Tiago Splitter, Walter Tavares, Atlanta Hawks

Obviously you can only "dress" 12 players for a real game...but you can put a couple is "suits".

Maybe there is something they like about Daye...at a minimum he is a reasonably large body.

I have very little faith in Edy as far as actual game ability.

Big Goomer from Borneo.