• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Edy Man Cometh: Hawks agreed to multi-year contract with 7-3 center Walter Tavares

Static

Some horrible posting on the 10th page.

I understand the fact that you must cling to your Edy prediction Supes. I on the other hand just chalk it up as a long list of talent evaluation fails on this very board. You my friend are the king of them. Don't hate. No shame in not being very good in something that interest you. I really like oil paintings. Landscape paintings with bodies of water and mountains in the distance are great. Give me a paintbrush with canvas and I will deliver one shitty oil painting

Edited by IheartFerry

• Premium Member

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/edy-tavares-chose-hawks-over-several-european-team/nmxdc/

Taveras in today's AJC article:

"I feel this because when I had contract (offer) with European team I saw people say ‘We need you in Atlanta. You need to come,’” Tavares said.

To which I say, Edy, good to see you've been lurking all this time on the Squawk! Welcome... and as long as you keep the attitude to keep working, I'm confident you'll get there. We drafted a guy in the first round many years ago who, it turned out, was pretty raw when he got to the Omni, but eventually worked himself into becoming a competent force, and even able to score a little jump hook now and then. He was known as "Tree," and was one of the best rim protecting centers of his day. I see some of the same in you, but I can tell watching your free throws, your shooting form is going to allow you to do more than Tree was able to accomplish. As Coach Atkinson said, just work on your speed and your conditioning while you're in Summer League and D-league this year. There will be critics. There are always critics. Don't get discouraged. It will all come together eventually. grin.gif

Edited by sturt

I understand the fact that you must cling to your Edy prediction Supes. I on the other hand just chalk it up as a long list of talent evaluation fails on this very board. You my friend are the king of them. Don't hate. No shame in not being very good in something that interest you. I really like oil paintings. Landscape paintings with bodies of water and mountains in the distance are great. Give me a paintbrush with canvas and I will deliver one shitty oil painting

What are you expecting Edy to be doing right now? He's a guy that picked up a basketball just 5 years ago. He's blocking shots, moving well, and being a deterrent at the rim. At this point that's all we can ask of him. It's going to take a couple of years for him to be the guy that we all hope he can be but summer league failures or successes aren't a real indicator of what he will be...especially this early in his growing process. Pump the brakes

Edy actually reminds me more of a longer, less quick Dikembe with more offensive potential and a bit heavier (stronger legs though weight is about the same give or take 5 lbs. Anyone else see that?

Less agile and faster than Deke but you must be talking about young Deke. Prime Deke was much better. 

Honestly, I don't even have him at young Deke level yet, though I see the potential to be a little less than Dee defensively and more than Deke on offense. Less agile is a good call, and unless it results from lack of experience/having to think what to do vs. reacting naturally, Edy may never have the agility of Deke defensively though he can be very, very good. Definitely not Prime Deke now, but in time could be about as effective (fingers crossed). He might have a trajectory like Dennis: uncertain first year followed by quantum leap in second year. A lot of 2015-16 season in the D-League.

Edited by yardbird

lmao.....i said this dude was a goofy bust, but of course.........got some feathers in a uproar when i said it.......

Hawks need to stop  being cheap ( Ressler isnt fooling me) and get some big time players.

Edited by atlhawks1

Waaaaay too early to even think about him being a bust. He's only even touched a basketball in the last five years, and I bet Larry Bird would have traded Hibbert for him straight up (remember, two years ago Hibbert was touted as best center in the East hands down, arguably best in the league) this summer. If you're a Hawks fan, see how he progresses over the next two years, then opine on whether he's worth a roster spot. He'll definitely get abused early on by Demarcus Cousins, Mosgov and the newbie on the Heat, but some D-League and occasional NBA reps plus some tutoring from Deke can take him a long way in a short time. I think he's a rotation player in 16-17, and a possible starter in 17-18, if given a chance to grow.

The jury's still out, but I hope you're wrong about Ressler (spell check converted this to Reseller, hope that's not Freudian!).

So people wouldn't be satisfied with how he played vs Golden State? Edy is showing what we need him to do. And that is rim protect and rebound. He got 5 blocks in 20 minutes last night. His length definitely affected that game.

And keep this in mind. "Scrubs" normally look a hell of a lot better playing with talented players, than they do with other scrubs ( Dellevedova ... Ezeli ... Pero, etc ).

Put Edy in the game with these guys ..

PG - Schröder

G - Korver

F - Sefolosha

PF - Horford

C - Tavares

.. and Edy could not only do his job defensively, but also get a few easy baskets around the rim via a Schröder or Horford pass.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

He had 5 blocks last night, not too bad. We already have Tiago.  Edy will play Elton Brand minutes, at least this season. Everybody should relax a little bit.

He's not ready. I really don't think any of these players, Moose, GRIII or Edy will crack the rotation but they should all be players we should be eager to develop. Moose is close and GRIII might be a surprise. 

• Like 1

If the Hawks were rebuilding, i wouldnt mind them developing Edy. My problem with the Hawks, and WHY i clown them all the time, is because they are ONE player away, one BIG TIME REBOUNDER away, and refuse to find one....

Edited by atlhawks1

• Moderators

If the Hawks were rebuilding, i wouldnt mind them developing Edy. My problem with the Hawks, and WHY i clown them all the time, is because they are ONE player away, one BIG TIME REBOUNDER away, and refuse to find one....

Name one they should have signed for either the money that they spent on Sap or Splitter and then we can talk.

I am thrilled the Hawks are developing a young big while they aren't rebuilding.  That is how you progress/maintain when you are competing.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Name one they should have signed for either the money that they spent on Sap or Splitter and then we can talk.

I am thrilled the Hawks are developing a young big while they aren't rebuilding.  That is how you progress/maintain when you are competing.

Yes.  And if we are really just one big rebounder away (i'm not convinced that's the issue) then why wouldn't you give your 7'3" prospect a shot at surprising people.   That's the kind of size that you can use many ways.

This is what San Antonio and Golden State do better than anyone. 

Spent on Sap or Splitter? I have no problem with that. ADD TO SAP AND SPLITTER. Oh, my bad, they cant work the salary cap to add to the Sap and Splitter signings........

The Hawks couldnt have used the 10 points and 7 boards that Hibbert gave the pacers last year? 

The Hawks couldnt have used the 10 points and 11 boards that Tyson Chandler gave the Mavericks last year?

The Hawks couldnt have used the  10 points and 7 boards that Robin Lopez gave Portland last year?

Edited by atlhawks1

• Moderators

This is what San Antonio and Golden State do better than anyone. 

Agreed.  SA has been developing young players for their role players and stars for years with picks from the middle to end of the first round.

The Hawks couldnt have used the 10 points and 7 boards that Hibbert gave the pacers last year? 

The Hawks couldnt have used the 10 points and 11 boards that Tyson Chandler gave the Mavericks last year?

The Hawks couldnt have used the  10 points and 7 boards that Robin Lopez gave Portland last year?

So how are you acquiring these players with your assets and cap situation?  That is the key question.  Most things in life involve tradeoffs.  

You can trade for Hibbert but then you can't get Splitter (who is the better rebounder) and you have to get rid of $6M worth of players on the roster to absorb Hibbert's $15.5M salary.

So what is your plan?

Edited by AHF

Agreed.  SA has been developing young players for their role players and stars for years with picks from the middle to end of the first round.

So how are you acquiring these players with your assets and cap situation?  That is the key question.

Thats why Bud and Wilcox getting paid MILLIONS. THEY suppose to figure that out..........Pop over in San 

Antonio figured it out, why cant Bud?????

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thats why Bud and Wilcox getting paid MILLIONS. They suppose to figure that out..........

No plan.  Just criticism.  Gotcha.

BTW - They did acquire Splitter who rebounds better than Hibbert.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 3