• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Available Cap Space?

BraveSeminole

The problem is nobody knows.  We have to wait 3 more days.   Moreover, nobody wants to say it, but Daye and Muscala are immediately on the line because they have NG contracts.   So if the cap is the lower figure, the fix will be losing one or both of them... before trading Mack or Scott.  To trade Mack or Scott, you have to find partners.   However, Muscala or Daye or both may be included in the Spurs trade.

I don't care for Daye but losing Muscala would be stupid. If we need cap space, trade one of our extra 2nd rounders with Mack. Dallas for instance could use a guard.

I don't care for Daye but losing Muscala would be stupid. If we need cap space, trade one of our extra 2nd rounders with Mack. Dallas for instance could use a guard.

We aren't going to lose Muscala. Don't listen to that garbage.

Salary cap is the bee for the year guys. 

What we need is the cap to be at 69.1. That way the only thing we HAVE to do is cut Daye 1.185 salary and were good IF Splitter is willing to waive his trade kicker which is 1.2 mil. 

If that happens (Splitter kicker) we would have a cap at 71.2 mil which would be over the cap by 2.1 mil. That simply means, we have to shave 2.1 mil on top add the min roster spot if we are under 12 players. That's more like 2.8 mil. 

Mike Scott might be the best guy to trade. 

A. His value is still good. We can get a 2nd for him or just someone willing to take him in for nothing. 

B. We can get a decent backup PF in FA for the room. 

C. He clears 3.3 mil. 

This is good for multiple reasons. 

A. SnT possibilities for Wes Johnson, Dorell Wright and who ever else. It's highly unlikely the Lakers or Warriors can take either contract but a 3 team deal is possible with a potential 2nd rounder or draft rights to someone like S. Gladyr on the table. 

B. This wouldn't force us to take a min roster slot. So that money won't count as we will have 12 players. 

C. We can easily fill a need and get their bird rights. 

I certainly hope not!!!

I doubt it, he is on an amazing value deal. He is unlikely to be moved or cut for that reason. Daye on the other hand is on the vet min. His contract is more costly but he's a good value for trade/cut purposes. 

Edited by NBASupes

Atlanta would be smart to look at SnT options on July 8th when the cap projections come in. That way they can do negotiations based on their cap space. They options we have at 67.1 is far more slim than at 69.1 million. That's with or without the trade kicker. Splitter waving his trade kicker is vital to our cap room and roster flexibility. 

• Premium Member

The problem is nobody knows.  We have to wait 3 more days.   Moreover, nobody wants to say it, but Daye and Muscala are immediately on the line because they have NG contracts.   So if the cap is the lower figure, the fix will be losing one or both of them... before trading Mack or Scott.  To trade Mack or Scott, you have to find partners.   However, Muscala or Daye or both may be included in the Spurs trade.

If C-Viv is to be believed... and I'm getting the impression that the new braintrust is giving him greater access than before... he tweeted a few hours as I recall after the Splitter trade was announced that, specifically, no players from our side would be part of that deal. I interpreted that as 2nd round pick(s)... and in hindsight, probably more or fewer based on whether they obtained LA.

If C-Viv is to be believed... and I'm getting the impression that the new braintrust is giving him greater access than before... he tweeted a few hours as I recall after the Splitter trade was announced that, specifically, no players from our side would be part of that deal. I interpreted that as 2nd round pick(s)... and in hindsight, probably more or fewer based on whether they obtained LA.

They need to trade Daye in that deal. He's cut bait nonetheless for SAS. The issue is that kicker. 

• Moderators

They need to trade Daye in that deal. He's cut bait nonetheless for SAS. The issue is that kicker. 

I saw a previous tweet on the kicker that said he was going to take $300K per year and waive the rest.

• Like 1

I saw a previous tweet on the kicker that said he was going to take $300K per year and waive the rest.

Yes, I remember seeing the same thing. But I thought it was $300k this year, and $600k next year. And I also haven't seen it reported since then, so who knows if that's true or not. But if so, that would greatly help us out.

Can anyone explain to me why Splitter would just waive his trade kicker (or cut it down to $300k)?  I mean - I'm not giving up $1 million.

yeah, this is what makes me question the validity of that initial tweet. However, there actually could be some legitimate reasons. One I can think of would be if Pop told him he was getting traded no matter what, and him landing with us where he knows the system and the coach already, would seem more appealing to him than just getting traded wherever. That would be an incentive for him to waive it to land in a more favorable situation for him if you think about it that way. But I guess we'll find out in a few days for certain.

Edited by RandomFan

Can anyone explain to me why Splitter would just waive his trade kicker (or cut it down to $300k)? I mean - I'm not giving up $1 million.

To facilitate the trade maybe? I mean, if I'm no longer in the Spurs plans I should make sure I can go into another good situation where I can get playing time on a good team.

• Premium Member

To facilitate the trade maybe? I mean, if I'm no longer in the Spurs plans I should make sure I can go into another good situation where I can get playing time on a good team.

The way I understood it was that the Spurs would pay it.

As I said before, the Cavs have unlimited resources..

You all can try to justify it if you please.

It's not unlimted resources. They have a $10m voidable contract as trade bait. And would have to include other assets, such as Verajao's near $10m per year contract which is well within the rules of the salary cap. They were just very fortunate that they have the Bird Rights for all of their players. But they are going to be well into the luxury tax at a salary well over $100m.

When we are going to be restricted to whatever the salary cap actually comes in at, projected around $67m, and maybe slightly above that depending on trades and our Room exception. If we'd had Bird Rights on DMC, I'm quite confident we'd have matched any offer he recieved and he'd still be here. But we didn't.