• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Excited about Edy...

TheRedStripes

I watched all the summer league games last year and I was really impressed with Edy. Obviously he is a giant and can block shots and grab boards. The thing that impressed me the most about him though is that he has only played basketball for a few years and he is more skilled than a lot of the American big men that have been playing their entire life. For instance... DeAndre Jordan shoots below 40% from the free throw line and I know that is rare in the NBA but Edy shoots close to 70%. That is pretty amazing for a guy that just picked up the game a few years ago.

DeAndre Jordan has no offensive game whatsoever except dunking. He rebounds and blocks shots at an elite level but he has no offensive game to speak of and can't hit the broad side of a barn when it comes to free throws... yet.... he just got paid a crap ton of money because he can rebound and block shots. 

Edy only played about 22 minutes per  game in the ACB and he was 1st team all ACB which is the 2nd best league in the world. His Per 36 minute stats average out to be like 13 points... 13 rebounds and 3 blocks. He is only going to get better... we could have a real gem here guys. 

Edited by TheRedStripes
  • Like 4

Edy gives the Hawks what many of us have wanted for a very long time.

Remember how, for years, we've wanted a better PG and a bigger center?

Right now we're deep at both positions and like "the Red Stripes" I am also

very excited about all this.

GO HAWKS !!

• Like 2

I watched all the summer league games last year and I was really impressed with Edy. Obviously he is a giant and can block shots and grab boards. The thing that impressed me the most about him though is that he has only played basketball for a few years and he is more skilled than a lot of the American big men that have been playing their entire life. For instance... DeAndre Jordan shoots below 40% from the free throw line and I know that is rare in the NBA but Edy shoots close to 70%. That is pretty amazing for a guy that just picked up the game a few years ago.

DeAndre Jordan has no offensive game whatsoever except dunking. He rebounds and blocks shots at an elite level but he has no offensive game to speak of and can't hit the broad side of a barn when it comes to free throws... yet.... he just got paid a crap ton of money because he can rebound and block shots. 

Edy only played about 22 minutes per  game in the ACB and he was 1st team all ACB which is the 2nd best league in the world. His Per 36 minute stats average out to be like 13 points... 13 rebounds and 3 blocks. He is only going to get better... we could have a real gem here guys. 

Totally Agree! Getting Edy to Atlanta is by far my favorite offseason move by the Hawks.  While I really like the Splitter addition I will admit that I was not too excited about the Hardaway trade (But, I am starting to feel better about it).  But, getting Edy to agree to terms has me very excited about the Hawks inside Game (I haven't been able to say that for many years!)!  Between Horford, Edy, Splitter and Muscala (Although, it won't surprise me to see at least one of them traded before the season begins) the Hawks inside game should be in good shape for years to come!  And, like you mentioned, I think Edy has only touched his potential and he will only get better (Hopefully, a LOT better!) with more experience!

• Like 1

Well... he wasn't a 1st team All ACB

In fact he wasn't even in the top5 of centers in terms of votes. 

Anyway it doesn't change that he has good potential and has grown up a lot as a player in a few years. 

Edited by Ebert

He got potential. I have to see him get some real minutes in the NBA but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play much this season since Bud don't give rookies a lot of playing time.

If he just becomes a AVERAGE NBA center, the Hawk win because of his size. If he becomes a stud, obviously, he would be a steal for the Hawks. I still rather see Horford at 4, and a developed Tavares at 5, with Sap spending time at the 3 and backing up the 4.

Edited by atlhawks1
  • Like 1

I love his size and potential. But feel he may never be anything more than a "good" backup. Which is still very valuable nonetheless, especially considering where he was picked...

Been there and done that , all the hype up

On this board for years over scrubs that never pans out. I will hold any excitement until I see this guy on a NBA FLOOR at the very least. Then we can say he is anything more then just a very large scrubb. I mean damn you guys can at least keep your heads below clouds until he makes the roster atleast

Edited by IheartFerry

He actually shoots closer to 80% from the line

• Like 1

Heres how I feel, I think bud is a great enough coach to develop any wing player he believes will fit in his system as long as they are willing to learn...what him and his staff did for DMC I think they can do for THJ and newly signed Justin Holiday I really do I think Bud just has a special skill for developing guards and wing players period.

As for big men....that's the challenge! Can bud and darvin ham develop the bigs on this team? We've seen moose get better and so has Scott but it just seems longer for the bigs to get good like the guards and wings but I have confidence in bud and his staff just not expecting too much out of Edy within this first year...if he can give us 5 points 5 boards in 13-20 minutes a game if he can get those minutes anyways I think that's a fantastic start

Serious question though....what's Edys best potential? I heard that the best he can get to is the next Tyson chandler.....someone with knowledge of him , explain who he compares to at his fullest potential if he reaches it?

Serious question though....what's Edys best potential? I heard that the best he can get to is the next Tyson chandler.....someone with knowledge of him , explain who he compares to at his fullest potential if he reaches it?

Not sure anyone can answer this right now.

All I recall from watching him last year is that he moves very well for his size, has good hands, but was still very raw offensively and had next to no post moves.

From what I've seen/heard recently his offence has improved around the basket.

I'd love to see his game evolve into something like Duncans where he uses size and fineness around the basket instead of becoming a straight banger.