Doesn't Seem Like Much Has Been Done

hazer

• Premium Member

Umm. There was that one more that isn't listed, though you say as much in the last paragraph:

In: N/A

Out: Carroll

That's why you and everyone else is hoping there's another shoe yet to drop.

• Like 4

Umm. There was that one more that isn't listed, though you say as much in the last paragraph:

Bigtime. Hopefully "to be continued". Shed a couple of those names near the bottom of the depth chart, toss in next year's 1st, plug in Chandler 30 mins/nite at the 3 and that's a solid "A" offseason.

• Moderators

I'd add the #15 overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft as an "out" as well, but if you are just comparing our playoff roster to how we will start the fall then your comment seems like the most appropriate addition.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

But when you lay it all out and take a good look at it, the moves Bud's made so far have improved this 60-win squad more than we realize. Increased depth and shed dead weight. None of this is a big splash, but...

In: THJr

Out: Jenkins

In: Splitter

Out: Antić

In: Edy

Out: Brand

In: Holiday

Out: Daye

Those are significant upgrades. THAT team won 60 games and made it to the ECFs, with Jenkins and Antić and Brand and Daye ON the squad. They re-signed the guy they had to re-sign. But I'm a bit leery of the SF-by-committee approach at the 3 (Sef, Blaze, Korv, Scott, Sap, THJr, Holiday), really hoping for a Chandler trade. But these moves so far have upgraded the team more than it appears at first glance, especially considering the $price/value$.

They lost Carroll and even though Splitter is an upgrade, you can expect him to miss 20-30 games. A first round pick was also lost.

Don't forget other teams will be better and will see if teams adjust to the Atlanta style of play like the Wizards,Nets and Cavs who pushed the Hawks in each series. 

The Spurs won the title 2 seasons ago. Last year they had several injuries and flirted with the #8 seed in the playoffs before finally getting some of their people back healthy, but they were still missing some people and did not win the title. Did teams adjust to the Spurs style of play last year? Or were they just not healthy?

Those are rhetorical questions, and I hope you can see where this is going.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

Waaaaburgers, getcha Waaaaaburgers right here. Served with a side of French Cries. And a Whineken.....

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

Which is the most important but I like the OP's try tho.

• Like 1

I'd add the #15 overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft as an "out" as well, but if you are just comparing our playoff roster to how we will start the fall then your comment seems like the most appropriate addition.

He left out reasons why ppl didn't like our off-season.

It's absurd how overrated Demarre has gotten on this board. People are acting like he was Kawhi Leonard. Yes, his loss will hurt but we have players who can do a very good job at trying to replace his production.  The drop off isn't going to be huge. And our improvements with size (Tiago) more than makes up for Carroll's loss. 

• Like 4

He left out reasons why ppl didn't like our off-season.

It's not a post about the ppl who didn't like our off-season and their reasons why ;)

• Like 2

The Spurs won the title 2 seasons ago. Last year they had several injuries and flirted with the #8 seed in the playoffs before finally getting some of their people back healthy, but they were still missing some people and did not win the title. Did teams adjust to the Spurs style of play last year? Or were they just not healthy?

I get what you're saying, its valid but we still are NOT the Spurs. They still had/have players that can get it done when necessary.

That said... I too am wondering what's going to happen at the SF spot whilst Thabo sits out. Guess we'll see.

For the Spurs it was mainly due to injuries for the simple reason the Spurs have been there done that as far as winning championships. They have proven players unlike the Hawks. You simply can't say that regular season games are the same as post season games. The Hawks found out and now will see this year how they do in the regular season and in the playoffs. I'd rather win 50 games in the regular season but be fully healthy come the playoffs then we can see how good the Hawks are. This was the first taste the Hawks have had going far in the playoffs so will see if they have learned anything or will it be the same Hawks team the previous 7 years who seemed to just want to make the playoffs and get bounced in the 1st round.

Edited by thescout5

You simply can't say that regular season games are the same as post season games. The Hawks found out and now will see this year how they do in the regular season and in the playoffs.

No. You can't simply say a team has proven to win championships when they were healthy,  and then turn around and make an apples to oranges comparison to us when we weren't healthy our one chance at it. The point is that you, nor anyone else, knows what this team would have been able to accomplish if we had been healthy. The point was that health plays a huge part in winning in the playoffs, even for a team with "proven players" such as the Spurs. You can't say our players aren't proven or lacking, when they haven't even had a healthy chance at it.

It was also to point out how silly it was to think teams adjusted to our style of play when they haven't adjusted to the Spurs style of play. Injuries are what held them back last year, just like us.

And now that DMC has moved on, unfortunately we'll never know how far that team could have really gone. But, oh well.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 1

The Spurs comparisons are mostly bogus. It's like comparing Guy Ritchie to Quentin Tarantino

Which is why it wasn't a Spurs comparison, it was a freaking analogy, pertaining to health and impact on team performance. An anology serves to compare one individual correlational aspect of two things, not to compare the totality of both things.

New year new team.

We are returning our top 4 players (all stars) and of the remaining roster we are returning 5 key role players and have on paper upgraded 3 non impact players and upgraded 1 key reserve. Yet everyone is in a tift because we seemingly havent "replaced" our 5th best player with someone else.

The team over all is still strong and still capable of maintaining a high level of success. Year 3 of coach Bud has me most excited. We saw the leap from year 1 to 2 with the added health of Horford and focus on defense. Im anxious to see what happens next year

• Like 4