• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The South Got Something to Say.

Diesel

• Premium Member

All this talk about alltime teams... between Chicago and LAL.

Shaq proposes Himself, Kareem, Baylor, Kobe, and Magic... as the starting 5 for the Lakers.

OK.

He challenged Pippen and the Bulls... and that's all well and good.  But What about the Hawks.  We have never had championship competition on this team at the same time.. but if you pull out our allstar team, I have:

Deke, Petit, Nique, Maravich, and Hudson.

That team is dominant.   However, since I don't really consider Petit to be an Atlanta Hawk.... My one change is this:

Deke, Moses Malone, Nique, Maravich, and Hudson....

I didn't even have to use:  Horford, Joe Johnson, Shareef, Mookie, Korver, Sap, Teague, Rollins, Hagan, Drew, or any of those other guys who could have been up there.  This 5, I believe can compete with Shaq's 5... and probably beat them.

Shaq proposes Himself, Kareem, Baylor, Kobe, and Magic... as the starting 5 for the Lakers.

OK.

He challenged Pippen and the Bulls... and that's all well and good.  But What about the Hawks.  We have never had championship competition on this team at the same time.. but if you pull out our allstar team, I have:

Deke, Petit, Nique, Maravich, and Hudson.

That team is dominant.   However, since I don't really consider Petit to be an Atlanta Hawk.... My one change is this:

Deke, Moses Malone, Nique, Maravich, and Hudson....

I didn't even have to use:  Horford, Joe Johnson, Shareef, Mookie, Korver, Sap, Teague, Rollins, Hagan, Drew, or any of those other guys who could have been up there.  This 5, I believe can compete with Shaq's 5... and probably beat them.

Sometimes you have some good ones Diesel and make valid points in your debates. However, this is not one of those times. That would be a MASSACRE and it would not be in the same realm of realities for us to beat them on their WORST night.

Lakers have Top 3 IN HISTORY at every position:

Magic - #1 Point Guard

Kobe - #2 Shooting Guard

Baylor - old school underrated (name not mentioned with elites enough)

Kareem - Top 3 center (debatable #1; my #1 but too  many greats - Olajuwon, Shaq, Robinson, Wilt, Russell)

Shaq - Top 3 center (see above)

vs.

Pistol - old school - Top 10 in history (too many PGs above him)

Sweet Lou - nice player - but not top 20

Nique - bias kicks in (Top 5 Small Forward) - maybe definitely Top 7-8

Petit - see pistol Pete (Top 15 PF - maybe)

Moses - GREAT player - Top 7-10 center

Deke - good, not great player, but excellent defender and rebounder, not intimidated by ANYONE

All of that to say - NO COMPARISON

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Sometimes you have some good ones Diesel and make valid points in your debates. However, this is not one of those times. That would be a MASSACRE and it would not be in the same realm of realities for us to beat them on their WORST night.

Lakers have Top 3 IN HISTORY at every position:

Magic - #1 Point Guard

Kobe - #2 Shooting Guard

Baylor - old school underrated (name not mentioned with elites enough)

Kareem - Top 3 center (debatable #1; my #1 but too  many greats - Olajuwon, Shaq, Robinson, Wilt, Russell)

Shaq - Top 3 center (see above)

vs.

Pistol - old school - Top 10 in history (too many PGs above him)

Sweet Lou - nice player - but not top 20

Nique - bias kicks in (Top 5 Small Forward) - maybe definitely Top 7-8

Petit - see pistol Pete (Top 15 PF - maybe)

Moses - GREAT player - Top 7-10 center

Deke - good, not great player, but excellent defender and rebounder, not intimidated by ANYONE

All of that to say - NO COMPARISON

School time.

Sweet Lou.  Had a career average of 20.2 ppg.  Averaged at lease 24 points per game for 5 consecutive seasons as a Hawk.  For four of those seasons, shot over 50% from the field.  Named Sweet Lou because his shot had a quick release and a beautiful arch to it.

Maravich.  Averaged 26 and 7 for his career.  His final year with the Hawks averaged 27.7 ppg. 

Nique.  Averaged at Least 20 ppg in 11 consecutive seasons.  Most of the time, it was closer to 30 ppg than 20.

Moses Malone played 3 seasons as a Hawk and averaged 20.2 and 11.8.

Deke was one of the best shot blockers in History.  It was him that caused Allen Iverson to go to the finals.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

About the Lakers 5.  Not a great defensive group.   Only maybe Kobe and Kareem were  good defenders with that group.  Our squad is a squad of scorers. Every last one of them.  While the Lakers would be pretty and strong scorers themselves, I see this being more of a shootout than a blow out.

• Admin

About the Lakers 5.  Not a great defensive group.   Only maybe Kobe and Kareem were  good defenders with that group.  Our squad is a squad of scorers. Every last one of them.  While the Lakers would be pretty and strong scorers themselves, I see this being more of a shootout than a blow out.

The squad you came up with would play ole matador defense ... 

I think a squad of 

Mookie / Joe / Nique / Al / Deke would beat that Hawks team

There is more then scoring that is needed to win a game.  Fundamentals and Defense are just as important

The squad you came up with would play ole matador defense ... 

I think a squad of 

Mookie / Joe / Nique / Al / Deke would beat that Hawks team

There is more then scoring that is needed to win a game.  Fundamentals and Defense are just as important

Please don't leave out talent and there is a clear difference in talent.

mutumbot.jpg

roundfield.jpg

dominique-wilkins-dunk.jpg

5523b6940c88f04a6871864cfc0eba19461a5c30

985e83d99da50651b8255aa86348e446.jpg

mutombo2-o.gif

This is nice and all, but NONE of them is Top 5 at their position. The Lakers ENTIRE squad is Top 3 at their position aside from Elgin, who in his own right, is underrated. There is still no comparison. The talent level is not equal.

This is nice and all, but NONE of them is Top 5 at their position. The Lakers ENTIRE squad is Top 3 at their position aside from Elgin, who in his own right, is underrated. There is still no comparison. The talent level is not equal.

First, this is my all time Hawks list. Second, the best TALENT, isnt always the arbritator of who wins. Its how they PLAY TOGETHER.

How Shaq and Kareem BOTH gonna play in the starting five? NEITHER has a jump shot. lmao  Baylor. Look, i dont count ANYBODY who played back in Baylor's days. The best talent WASNT in the NBA. Thats why i left Petit off my all time Hawks team. I know that will be met with lots of criticizism, but it is what it is.......

Edited by atlhawks1

Petit was a Hawk, an all star and a Hawk hall of famer.  Can't leave him off.

If you had these great Hawk players, all in their prime, just as it is today,

some believe that, because they are Hawks, automatically they are no good.

Go ahead, select the top twelve for each team. 

Now, the big question is this:  "Who will coach the Hawk team and why?"

This could very well be the deciding factor.  Give them some time to work and

play together.  Not like an all star game with one or two workouts.

So.  Answer me.  Who coaches the Hawks?

• Premium Member

Must be a Portland Trailblazer fan or something.   Talent without Chemistry = Nothing.  That's why the Heat with Lebron, Bosh, and Wade lost to Dallas.

Let's think about who would come together quicker...

The Hawk team I presented...

or

KOBE.... playing with SHAQ and Kareem?  Then Magic...... and Baylor never gets the ball.

Here's something else. 

There's a better Laker team...

Wilt, Kareem, Worthy, Kobe, and Magic.

Shaq's not better than Wilt or Kareem.

• Admin

Must be a Portland Trailblazer fan or something.   Talent without Chemistry = Nothing.  That's why the Heat with Lebron, Bosh, and Wade lost to Dallas.

Let's think about who would come together quicker...

The Hawk team I presented...

or

KOBE.... playing with SHAQ and Kareem?  Then Magic...... and Baylor never gets the ball.

Here's something else. 

There's a better Laker team...

Wilt, Kareem, Worthy, Kobe, and Magic.

Shaq's not better than Wilt or Kareem.

There is only one ball and they are all scorers ... plus none play D ... don't see that team winning much 

Talent yes ... chemistry no ... you need role players or guys who will sacrifice to win.

• Premium Member

There is only one ball and they are all scorers ... plus none play D ... don't see that team winning much 

Talent yes ... chemistry no ... you need role players or guys who will sacrifice to win.

Which team are you talking about... My Hawks or one of these Laker renditions?

If it's any consolation, I think Deke is one of those type of role players.

• Admin

Which team are you talking about... My Hawks or one of these Laker renditions?

If it's any consolation, I think Deke is one of those type of role players.

The Hawks ...

I agree that the Lakers are probably putting too much talent on the floor too ... Magic would def sacrifice but Shaq and Kareem would def be in each other's way and Kobe needs the ball to be effective

OK.

G - Magic ( 6-9 )

G - Baylor ( 6-5 )

F - Worthy ( 6-9 )  G - Kobe ( 6-6 )

F/C - Kareem ( 7-2 )

C - Shaq ( 7-1)

That's a big talented team.  So the Hawks would have to go size for size defensive . . . with size

G - Smitty ( 6-8 )

G - Johnson ( 6-8 )

F - Dominique ( 6-8 )

F - Rollins ( 7-1 )

C - Dikembe ( 7-2 )

The Hawks only shot would be to go defensive up front, and hope the 6-8 guys get their points.  And even with that team, Dikembe and Tree would have to be defensive monsters in the middle, and at least be able to contain Shaq just a little.   Kareem was a finesse player, but would still kill people. 

On that team Shaq proposed, they have no long ball shooters, but excellent transition players.

And who would get more ISO's called for them?   Dominique or JJ?   It honestly might be JJ, because he's more apt to pass from isolation, than Nique would.  Could Smitty be effective in the post vs Kobe or Baylor?

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises