• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Glenn Robinson III to Pacers

GrimeyKidd

• Moderators

Or maybe we did not offer anything?

Is that crazy to think that Bud preferred

Whom we signed? I know crazy right?

Not at all. My speculation is that you are in the right vicinity and our offer wasn't competitive.

He's from Indiana and they gave him a 3-year deal. Plus there will probably be more minutes available for him on the Pacers. Not much we could do about that. Either way, we're trying to compete now and I think Patterson brings more to the table at this point. (If we end up going with one of our SL players)

Patterson just doesnt have the atheltic ability that GR3 has...I really don't expect him to play much at all. 

Patterson is going to end up being a stud. I saw him quite a bit in college and he is like a smaller Lance without the issues. He will score efficiently, rebound and defend.

I really hope you are right but I just don't see it. I trust Bud though. I just feel with Patterson, what you see is what you get while Robinson and Ashley had a much higher ceiling.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I would agree that Robinson and Ashley have a higher ceiling, and I get why you would say with Patterson what you see is what you get.

But.

Otoh, that's NOT to say that Patterson isn't improving his game. He played the point extensively in SL, and while he doesn't do any one thing outstanding, he does a lot of things well (... I started to say "at an NBA quality level," but let's hold off on that assessment until we see a little more of him in pre-season).

I agree with those who say he doesn't project to log any SF minutes. Patterson is the essence of what I think you want to see in a developing combo guard, and that if he's going to get on the regular season roster, he's going to have to take Mack's slot.

• Like 1

I really hope you are right but I just don't see it. I trust Bud though. I just feel with Patterson, what you see is what you get while Robinson and Ashley had a much higher ceiling.

I see Patterson as a very solid and all around player. He's going to give 100% on defense all of the time, he's going to gift for rebounds, take care of the ball and knock down high percentage assisted shots. His ceiling may not be super high as a scorer or athlete but he's perfect for the Hawks to groom as a long term 3&D shooting guard who has ball handling ability.

• Premium Member

Sad to hear this.  My gut is that Robinson will end up being a far better pro than Justin Holiday or Tim Hardaway.  I hope I'm wrong.

"Far better?"

Watch, given the fact that the other two have actually stuck on a regular season roster... and that as much as I liked Robinson, it does have to say something about you when you don't even stick on the SIXERS roster... I think you have reason to hope.

"Far better?"

Watch, given the fact that the other two have actually stuck on a regular season roster... and that as much as I liked Robinson, it does have to say something about you when you don't even stick on the SIXERS roster... I think you have reason to hope.

I just don't think Holiday has any offensive game, nor do I think Hardaway has any defensive game.  Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that the Holiday signing was just out of the blue, and seemed to me to be an impulsive signing.

Edited by Watchman

I just don't think Holiday has any offensive game, nor do I think Hardaway has any defensive game. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that the Holiday signing was just out of the blue, and seemed to me to be an impulsive signing.

The Holiday signing provides us depth at the wing position, something we didn't have the luxury of having this past season.

• Premium Member

I just don't think Holiday has any offensive game, nor do I think Hardaway has any defensive game.  Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that the Holiday signing was just out of the blue, and seemed to me to be an impulsive signing.

Never heard of Holiday before he signed myself. But one of the first tweets I saw was Zach Lowe saying something like (paraphrase), "Why didn't I think of this? Perfect landing spot for Holiday." And that got me reading up on him, and it seemed a whole lot less out of left field given what I read. And while I get the rub with THjr on D, I'm not seeing support for the idea that Jrue's brother has no offensive game.

The Holiday signing provides us depth at the wing position, something we didn't have the luxury of having this past season.

I understand that signing him provides depth, I just have to wonder if Robinson wouldn't have provided a better combination of offense and defense.  I was not really too impressed with Holiday.  Maybe if he had played in the Summer League, my mind would have been changed.  Hope he works out for us.

Never heard of Holiday before he signed myself. But one of the first tweets I saw was Zach Lowe saying something like (paraphrase), "Why didn't I think of this? Perfect landing spot for Holiday." And that got me reading up on him, and it seemed a whole lot less out of left field given what I read. And while I get the rub with THjr on D, I'm not seeing support for the idea that Jrue's brother has no offensive game.

Doesn't Zach Lowe basically cover every single possibility in his columns where he says nothing definitive about a player so he can go back and point out what happens? His columns are damn well long enough to do that with very limited information within it.

But he does have interesting information. That's why we trudge through his bad jokes and other writing to get to it.