• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks All Time Starting 5

TheBigETrain

• Premium Member

willis was a better scorer and rebounder but Al is no slouch in those departments and he is also sacrificing and then when you take into account his defense, passing, ball handling, leadership, team player, All Star appearences, the fact that he helped with the turn around of his team it's hard to deny his impact is greater then Willis for Atlanta

Still not so sure about that. I love Al but Willis put up superstar numbers on a talented team. Numbers aren't the end al be all, but Willis was a beast at a time when big men dominated the league.

Actually, his natural position is PF. We've just been playing him at center for the last 8 years.

We've only been playing him at the position he's most effective at. Even if he is a natural PF, he has more advantages offensively as a C.

Edited by Mdizzle5

We've only been playing him at the position he's most effective at. Even if he is a natural PF, he has more advantages offensively as a C.

I'm still not sure I believe it. Curious to see some minutes with Splitter at center and Horford at PF.

• Premium Member

AHF, I suppose I have to cry UNCLE on Sweet Lou... yeah, slipping him in ahead of Smitty (though I think in the day he was considered a full-fledged small forward... and actually, we didn't even call 'em "small" forwards back then, just forwards).

I'm still not sure I believe it. Curious to see some minutes with Splitter at center and Horford at PF.

Al has a quickness advantage over most C's. Especially when they have to guard him around the perimeter. Sure he doesn't exploit that often but he does.

Against other PFs I don't see what advantage he really has. Maybe if he had a post game but as of his game now? Just don't see it. *shrugs*

That said, I'm also curious to see how he plays alongside Splitter.

Al has a quickness advantage over most C's. Especially when they have to guard him around the perimeter. Sure he doesn't exploit that often but he does.

Against other PFs I don't see what advantage he really has. Maybe if he had a post game but as of his game now? Just don't see it. *shrugs*

That said, I'm also curious to see how he plays alongside Splitter.

I think he can overpower PF's in today's game. I mean, the Pacers are looking to play Paul George at PF. I mean, I guess it would be a mismatch on both ends.

I think he can overpower PF's in today's game. I mean, the Pacers are looking to play Paul George at PF. I mean, I guess it would be a mismatch on both ends.

That's the thought that he should overpower them but he's not in the post enough and doesn't have a post game to do that. His quickness against centers is his advantage.

Call me crazy, but I am taking the guy who won an NBA Championship over the Red's Celtics with HOFers Bill Russell, Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, Tom Heinson and Frank Ramsey.  Petit played against Russell, Wilt, etc.  He is the only Hawk to ever win an MVP.  He was an 11 time All-Star, 10 time 1st Team All-NBA and 1 Time 2nd Team All-NBA over his 11 years.  He remains #3 All-Time in rebounds per game and #8 All-Time in points per game.  

He was the Tim Duncan of his era.  Dominating, consistent and a consummate winner.

I don't see how you just write off guys like Bill Russell, Wilt, Oscar Robertson, Willis Reed, Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and others who were among his contemporaries.

You make some good points. VERY good points. Im not writing them off, its just that when i look at old clips of the NBA back then, i sense a overall feel of the game that is inferior to the game that was played from the 1970s to the present. That doesnt mean those players wouldnt dominate now as they did then, im just going by what i sense from the OVERALL game, not just particular players. Im looking at the athletic component of the game.

• Moderators

You make some good points. VERY good points. Im not writing them off, its just that when i look at old clips of the NBA back then, i sense a overall feel of the game that is inferior to the game that was played from the 1970s to the present. That doesnt mean those players wouldnt dominate now as they did then, im just going by what i sense from the OVERALL game, not just particular players. Im looking at the athletic component of the game.

I get that but I think that is part real and part overblown.  I think the overall level of athleticism we see is clearly higher in the game today, but with the larger talent pool and with the much more advanced training available now.  I'm not as confident about any separation between the big stars, though.  I'm not sure anyone in the NBA today can make an argument to be more of an athletic freak than Wilt.  A real 7 footer who can be a high level track star and high jumper?  Yikes.

I don't give people a ton of credit for playing in a era with better weight lifting, training and PEDs and tend to think guys like Pettit, Wilt, Russell, Oscar, West, etc. would dominate in the NBA today where guys like Duncan, Paul, Curry, Harden, Love, Gasol, Thompson, Green, etc. dominate but strike me as doing so primarily for reasons other than other-worldly athleticism.