• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Playoff Seeding

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Starting this season, a division winner is no longer guaranteed a top-four conference seeding in the NBA playoffs.

The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved the change to the playoff seeding on Tuesday. Teams will now be seeded based on order of regular-season record, 1 through 8. Previously, every division winner was guaranteed a top four seed in its conference regardless of record but did not receive home-court advantage if its playoff opponent had a better record.

The Board of Governors also approved several changes to the tiebreaker criteria for seeding and home-court advantage in the playoffs. Head-to-head results are now the first criterion to break ties between two teams with identical regular-season records. The second criterion is whether a team won its division. Under the previous system, a division winner was awarded the higher seed and home-court advantage.

The approved changes were unanimously recommended by the Competition Committee.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/nba-changes-playoff-seeding-format/nnbFF/

Are division winners still guaranteed a playoff spot, just not with a seeding advantage?

Though unlikely, could a division winner, not ranked 1 - 8, miss the playoffs altogether?  

• Moderators

Are division winners still guaranteed a playoff spot, just not with a seeding advantage?

Though unlikely, could a division winner, not ranked 1 - 8, miss the playoffs altogether?  

I thought of that too.  I'm guessing they are not guaranteed a spot.   Division basically means nothing at this point.

• Premium Member

Why even have conferences? I mean, isn't that really the biggest gripe... that West teams so often have been left out of the playoff in favor of East teams with lesser records?

Personally, I like the set-up that baseball once had... you play one set of teams all year, and play those geographically closest to you more than everyone else... and so, when the post season comes around, it makes the whole enchilada so much more fascinating.

• Like 1

Why even have conferences? I mean, isn't that really the biggest gripe... that West teams so often have been left out of the playoff in favor of East teams with lesser records?

Personally, I like the set-up that baseball once had... you play one set of teams all year, and play those geographically closest to you more than everyone else... and so, when the post season comes around, it makes the whole enchilada so much more fascinating.

I think the certainty of start times and limits on travel for series is a fair reason to have conferences. If you get to a round in the playoffs with home games all occurring on the east/west coast, the start times become a big problem for TV and in-game viewing.

Plus, sometimes I think people forget that what a fan thinks of as fair isn't what actually matters. The 30 owners are each trying to maximize their interests as conferences/divisions reduce the risk a singular owner faces for losing playoff revenues. Saying conferences/divisions do not make sense appears to ignore this or implicitly assumes some sort of a moral framework of what is "fair" without ever defining the criteria.

• Moderators

I do agree with @sturt on the way baseball was.  I kinda liked the idea that certain teams never played one another.

I liked it in baseball and wish they'd go back but nba is much more about the stars.   I can't imagine never getting a chance to see Kobe or Harkeem or Duncan in person.

I liked it in baseball and wish they'd go back but nba is much more about the stars.   I can't imagine never getting a chance to see Kobe or Harkeem or Duncan in person.

Yeah, it doesn't really work in basketball.  'Harkeem' must've been before my time (hehe).

• Premium Member

I like the old baseball setup too. I wish MLB and NBA would keep conferences but eliminate divisions. It's unfortunate for the NL central to have 3 of the best teams in the league playing in their division. Two of them will unfairly have to play that stupid play in game.

I think each team should play a balanced schedule amongst their conference members and seed accordingly. It's the only way to really make it fair.

Edited by cam1218