• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What made you a Hawks Fan.

HawksNWaffles

First post yay.  :laugh: Hello there I'm one of the newbies on the board. I wanted to get and know some of you better on the board. I know this question has probably been asked before, but what made you all Hawks fans. I will share mine. Lets see.....I believe it was March of 98 the Hawks were playing the Pistons. This was the first game that my Dad ever took me to. There were so many sights and sounds that I had never experienced before at a basketball game. The Georgia Dome at the time was really big to me and the section I was in was full of nothing but Hawks fans. I cheered with them, I booed with them..heck one of them even gave me their Hawks poster of Steve Smith. I had so much fun and those memories are something that I hold near and dear to my heart. That was one of the moments that not only made me a Hawks fan, but a die hard Atlanta Hawks fan. I know you guys probably prefer more Hawks news and info of that sort because that is what this forum is for, But I just thought I pick the brain of some of the members here. Of course you don't have to answer of course lol. I'm just happy that we have a coach that I believe can take us to the Basketball promised land.

• Like 4

29 years ago I was living in Northwest Indiana and had been a Bulls fan from birth. As part of a church, youth group outing, I went to Indianapolis to see my first NBA game live. Being from Indiana, I began the game rooting for the Pacers, but watching Dominique, Wilkens and company run the floor had me converted to a Hawks fan from that point on. 5 years later I was happily living in Atlanta and the rest is history.

• Like 3

29 years ago I was living in Northwest Indiana and had been a Bulls fan from birth. As part of a church, youth group outing, I went to Indianapolis to see my first NBA game live. Being from Indiana, I began the game rooting for the Pacers, but watching Dominique, Wilkens and company run the floor had me converted to a Hawks fan from that point on. 5 years later I was happily living in Atlanta and the rest is history.

I bet that was a thing of beauty watching Nique play live.

An ATLien hard to find those these days according to some people.

Well now you've found 2. :approved:

I've told my Hawks-fan origin story a few times but I'll toss it out again.  My dad scored Hawks playoff tickets through his job.  This was the Hawks v Bulls during their 1st 3peat and we had really good seats.

We walk in and take our seats then we hear a roar from the crowd.  I turn and see Neon Deion Sanders and his entourage all decked out in full-length minks, sunglasses and jheri curls.  Bawse.  I'm pretty sure I saw Chuck Smith sitting behind us.  Electric atmosphere.

By about halftime, the Hawks are still in it!  I'm pumped and Jordan just got hurt and has headed to the lockerroom.  

Bulls are warming up prior to the 3rd.  No Jordan?  Dare I believe?!  Early 3rd quarter I hear another roar from the crowd.  This time it's #23 emerging from the tunnel.   Walks right past Phil and subs himself into the game.  Didn't even pause.  Bawce.  MJ proceeds to tear my little Hawk-fan heart out but that atmosphere had me hooked.  Hawk. Fan. For. Life.

• Moderators

Also a native Atlantan.  I remember when Nique was a UGA and when he ended up a Hawk it seemed to good to be true.   And he didn't disappoint.  Say what you want about whether he could lead a team to a championship, he was unbelievably entertaining to watch.   Most Atlantans knew the hawks because John Drew kept getting in drug trouble.   Nique got folks energized.

I will say that the Mookie / Smitty years was when I really became a hard core fan that watched every game.   Mookie was really a great player and defender.  It sucks how his life has ended up.  It's hard to believe he was playing at that level on weed and possibly alcohol too.   Smitty is about the classiest guy to play the game and is easily one of my top 5 hawks all time. 

Anyway, i signed up here thinking i'd just chat a little for a few months and now it's a daily thing.   There are really great people on this site.  We're finally getting the team we deserve.

• Like 3

I've told my Hawks-fan origin story a few times but I'll toss it out again.  My dad scored Hawks playoff tickets through his job.  This was the Hawks v Bulls during their 1st 3peat and we had really good seats.

We walk in and take our seats then we hear a roar from the crowd.  I turn and see Neon Deion Sanders and his entourage all decked out in full-length minks, sunglasses and jheri curls.  Bawse.  I'm pretty sure I saw Chuck Smith sitting behind us.  Electric atmosphere.

By about halftime, the Hawks are still in it!  I'm pumped and Jordan just got hurt and has headed to the lockerroom.  

Bulls are warming up prior to the 3rd.  No Jordan?  Dare I believe?!  Early 3rd quarter I hear another roar from the crowd.  This time it's #23 emerging from the tunnel.   Walks right past Phil and subs himself into the game.  Didn't even pause.  Bawce.  MJ proceeds to tear my little Hawk-fan heart out but that atmosphere had me hooked.  Hawk. Fan. For. Life.

Sometimes I wonder what could have been if the Bulls were not like some real like cheat code lol.

Also a native Atlantan.  I remember when Nique was a UGA and when he ended up a Hawk it seemed to good to be true.   And he didn't disappoint.  Say what you want about whether he could lead a team to a championship, he was unbelievably entertaining to watch.   Most Atlantans knew the hawks because John Drew kept getting in drug trouble.   Nique got folks energized.

I will say that the Mookie / Smitty years was when I really became a hard core fan that watched every game.   Mookie was really a great player and defender.  It sucks how his life has ended up.  It's hard to believe he was playing at that level on weed and possibly alcohol too.   Smitty is about the classiest guy to play the game and is easily one of my top 5 hawks all time. 

Anyway, i signed up here thinking i'd just chat a little for a few months and now it's a daily thing.   There are really great people on this site.  We're finally getting the team we deserve.

I've had a chance to meet Smitty a couple of years back along with Nique. They were really nice guys and it is indeed unfortunate what happened to Mookie.

Edited by HawksNWaffles

The first NBA game I ever watched took place in LA as Dominique tore the Lakers up on their home court.  

He was awesome and they had a great young team ... it was the Atlanta Air Force 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfXYyCJYY40

Wow I can tell this was made before I was born lol. But nevertheless, that is pretty awesome. Seems like the crowd was really into it.  I want that sweet jacket lol.

Growing up mid 80's-early 90's SW Atlanta, I had no choice but to be fascinated by Nique.  The flickded pigeon-toed walk, the perfect S-Curl Box fade, the tip-dunks you thought were gonna crack the glass.  

I never had the deity-like fascination of Mike that most of my generation had because Nique was every bit the scorer.

My fandom surely died down after he left for L.A.  I admittedly wasn't a devoted follower of the Smitty/Deke/Mookie core, much less so through the Abdur-Rahim and Terry years in the sewer.

Finally Al arrived, and gave my dying Hawks fandom a shot in the arm.  Kyle boosted it some more, but Bud got it at an all-time high!

Welcome to the Squawk, kid.  This is a gangster azz NBA message board if I do say so myself.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

Growing up mid 80's-early 90's SW Atlanta, I had no choice but to be fascinated by Nique.  The flickded pigeon-toed walk, the perfect S-Curl Box fade, the tip-dunks you thought were gonna crack the glass.  

I never had the deity-like fascination of Mike that most of my generation had because Nique was every bit the scorer.

My fandom surely died down after he left for L.A.  I admittedly wasn't a devoted follower of the Smitty/Deke/Mookie core, much less so through the Abdur-Rahim and Terry years in the sewer.

Finally Al arrived, and gave my dying Hawks fandom a shot in the arm.  Kyle boosted it some more, but Bud got it at an all-time high!

Welcome to the Squawk, kid.  This is a gangster azz NBA message board if I do say so myself.

why thank you..I have to say having a team like this really does make you forget about some of the past......ermmm talent challenged teams. 

I don't know why I'm a Hawks fan since my first ever NBA game was the game that Nique got traded. Lol.

I'm so excited the days leading up to the game telling EVERYBODY I knew I'm going to my first NBA game and I get to see Nique.  What a treat.

I get up that morning, turn on SportsCenter and heard the news, Nique traded to the horrible Clippers for frikkin Danny Manning.

That was long bus ride from Savannah to the Omni.  I was so pissed.

Then I moved to Atlanta a few years later and been rooting for them ever since from the 13 wins to 60 wins I've been there.

My dad started taking me to games in 1999. I was honestly more interested in who they were playing, but I still cheered for them to win. What really won me over was Josh Smith in the dunk contest (hence "High5"). Seeing our awesome rookie shine like that got me watching games more consistently. I've seen pretty much every game since then on television or in person. 

It was a similar story with the Falcons. I didn't really care too much about football until the Falcons drafted Mike Vick. Two of the most electrifying players in Atlanta history got me hooked for life. They also gave me a lot of headaches...

• Like 2

Great story on how you are prolly a Bulls fan..lol...I watched Spud become a pimp in 86