• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford

Wurider05

I hope that I am wrong but with Horford about to be one of the big free agents this summer and with history of injury he might play soft this year and not bang. I shook my head when I read that he "extended his range".  With our center on the perimeter who the hell is going to be the rebounder. Horf extending his range on an already horrible rebounding team is not good. He is about to get paid and we maybe looking at 4 rebound nights more often than not. He knows that another injury is going to cost him millions so why not hang out on the perimeter.

• Admin

Al is a true professional and works hard every play.  He spent a lot of time in the early quarters boxing out Drummand and that was how Baz got 6 rebounds in the first.  

As for offensive rebounds ... he or anyone on the team were never much of an offensive rebounder ... the key is keeping the oppenants off of our glass.

Contract is not going to come into it

• Like 2

It seems counterproductive if he's looking for a big payday but puts up paltry rebounding numbers this season.  Apparently Drummond is his Lord and Master.  If he allows Lopez to beast him next game I'd worry.

Its no newsflash, Al has never been accused of having notable strength or athleticism.  I'm definately not a fan of him setting up at the arc, though.  I'd rather he attempt no threes at all rather than going 1-3 every night.  Gentry is doing the same silly thing with Davis.

Encouraging your Bigs to shoot threes automatically tempers their ferocity in the paint, on both ends.  They sell them the notion that they can help the team with spacing, limit injuries, and extend their careers  with it.  I thought Al and Anthony both were supposed to be on the Tim Duncan Plan, which is to shoot one three pointer a year and maintain unbelievable conditioning.  They rode his mid-range bank jumper to a few championships but you never saw him and Pop get cute and try to extend him. Hell, he's shooting even less jumpers and he's 93 years old!

27 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

I hope that I am wrong but with Horford about to be one of the big free agents this summer and with history of injury he might play soft this year and not bang. I shook my head when I read that he "extended his range".  With our center on the perimeter who the hell is going to be the rebounder. Horf extending his range on an already horrible rebounding team is not good. He is about to get paid and we maybe looking at 4 rebound nights more often than not. He knows that another injury is going to cost him millions so why not hang out on the perimeter.

Rebounding is going to have to be a team effort.  It could work. Look at the Heat when they were winning titles. Bosh, a traditional big man extended his range.  

The thing is since the PG an

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, atljonesbro said:

Horford played soft as it gets last night. I want more splitter and I want Tavares 

I am a huge fan of the Tavares pick and am extremely excited for him.  You are putting the cart wayy too far down the road by talking about cutting Horford's time to make room for more Edy, though.  Temper your expectations - this is going to be a huge transition for him.  He will come along but right now spot play is where you start.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AHF said:

I am a huge fan of the Tavares pick and am extremely excited for him.  You are putting the cart wayy too far down the road by talking about cutting Horford's time to make room for more Edy, though.  Temper your expectations - this is going to be a huge transition for him.  He will come along but right now spot play is where you start.

Yeah, but considering how badly we get beat on the boards, I'd be more inclined to put one of our many 6'5" - 6'6" guys on the inactive list than Tavares.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, BigDog90 said:

Rebounding is going to have to be a team effort.  It could work. Look at the Heat when they were winning titles. Bosh, a traditional big man extended his range.  

The thing is since the PG an

They also had LeBron too. I do agree with the team effort idea. I'm a huge Horford fan and don't expect 10 rebounds a game but he really needs to give us 7/8 a game.  

• Like 1

Again, Al shooting 3's on offense has didly squat to do with his ability to get DEFENSIVE rebounds or box out consistently. 

I know it's one game but I screamed myself hoarse at the game yelling REBOUND, REBOUND - I don't want to spend the season screaming REBOUND.

Al's a professional, he won't not play hard to save himself from injury.

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Again, Al shooting 3's on offense has didly squat to do with his ability to get DEFENSIVE rebounds or box out consistently. 

I know it's one game but I screamed myself hoarse at the game yelling REBOUND, REBOUND - I don't want to spend the season screaming REBOUND.

Al's a professional, he won't not play hard to save himself from injury.

Exactly, nobody on our team is going to get a lot of offensive boards. It's a mix of spacing, talent and coaching but that's how we are.

Bud might preach get back on D to us, but there is no way he wants the other team getting multiple offensive boards. Offensively, it seems like we are one and done a lot--while other teams get 2 to even 5 opportunities against us. Rebound the ball, Hawks..

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

Yeah, but considering how badly we get beat on the boards, I'd be more inclined to put one of our many 6'5" - 6'6" guys on the inactive list than Tavares.

We did.  THJ.

6 hours ago, cam1218 said:

They also had LeBron too. I do agree with the team effort idea. I'm a huge Horford fan and don't expect 10 rebounds a game but he really needs to give us 7/8 a game.  

That is true. Dennis does a great job driving into the paint. Teague on the other hand doesn't always do that. Yeah I like Horford as well, my favorite Hawk. I just think with him you use him to his strengths like when Muscula got hurt, Horford should have been in at PF and Splitter at C. I notice when Horford goes against players smaller than him, he plays more aggressive. 

7 hours ago, cam1218 said:

Heck, I do.  And I'm a Horford fan too.  It's really no excuse for him NOT to average close to 10 rebounds a game, when he's our most athletic big man.

No way I'd be cool with a Brook Lopez rebounding version of Horford.

• Like 1

I'm not worried about Al. He's a veteran leader for our team that gives 110% every night. It's a loooooong season and an off rebounding game here and there has nothing to do with his free agency status imo.

• 1 month later...