• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Edy Tavares

The Hawks have assigned center Edy Tavares to the NBA Development League. The Hawks do not have a D-League affiliate therefore the 7-foot-3 center will be assigned a team by the flexible assignment process, which can typically take 24-48 hours.

The Hawks are one of 11 NBA teams that currently do not have a D-League affiliate with all current 19 teams singularly affiliated. According to the system, upon receipt of an assignment from an independent NBA team, the D-League will identify any team willing to accept the assigned player. The assigning independent NBA team will then choose the destination for assignment between any of those teams. If no D-League team is willing to accept the assigned player, he will be assigned to by lottery.

Hawks’ Edy Tavares confers with Al Horford against the Spurs during the first half in their preseason basketball game on Wednesday, ... Read More

Last season, the Hawks first-round pick Adreian Payne was assigned to the Austin Spurs for several stints and John Jenkins to the Idaho Stampeded via the flexible assignment system. Austin, which plays a system similar to the Hawks, hosts the Texas Legends on Friday and travels to the Oklahoma City Blue on Saturday.

Tavares, a second-round pick in 2014 who spent last season playing in Spain, has appeared in just two games this season for a total of two minutes. He has one point and one rebound. He has been on the inactive list in six games, including Monday’s game against the Timberwolves.

The Hawks believe playing time is critical part of their player development process. The have used the D-League in the past with current players such as Mike Scott, Mike Muscala and Dennis Schröder to get the valuable court time.

The D-League will expand next season and the Hawks are looking to have their own franchise, possibly in 2017.

6 hours ago, AHF said:

I love this move for him.  He is a long-term development project.  Get him consistent minutes and recall him when he makes a leap or we have an injury.

I hope it works out and not be like how Bebe is in TOR (keep getting sent to D League but got nothing to show).  I assume long term Edy will be the backup center of the future, Splitter's replacement? 

1 hour ago, BigDog90 said:

I hope it works out and not be like how Bebe is in TOR (keep getting sent to D League but got nothing to show).  I assume long term Edy will be the backup center of the future, Splitter's replacement? 

Bebe only got sent to the D-League once last year for 3 games. He should have been sent more but the situation with having to share the Fort Wayne Ants (like the Hawks) wasn't ideal. Now that we have our own D-League team this year he should spend some more time there.