• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When Will the Media Have the Nuts to Question Bud?!

LastDon

• Moderators

From last year.  I mean we're not going to be the Cubs or Yankees overnight or maybe at all but to say nothing has changed in the value or perception of this franchise is very far from the truth.  

The Eastern Conference-leading Atlanta Hawks boast the league’s largest gain in average attendance, up more than 21 percent from last year to an average of 17,364 fans per game. Cleveland ranks just behind the Hawks, with a 19 percent increase thanks largely to the return of LeBron James to the Cavs.

So our attendance increase was even more than that of the city getting the best player in the world and favorite son back.   Not to mention we increased 21 percent with a team that was already a playoff team the year before.   

Oh boy! Where do I start:

1.       Rather have a future 1st than Payne. That’s a complete bust of a pick.

2.       Not sure GRob3 would be getting off the bench much at all (same with Oubre).

3.       If Sam Dekker busts then I don’t think any of the wings outside of top 16ish in the draft this year were that noteworthy.

4.       Edy really isn’t that much more than a body that can throw itself around right now off of the bench. He’d be picking up fouls FAST if they tried to let him contribute, he’d be a 5-10 mins a night man MAX if he played.

Atlanta needed to try harder to trade up to target Winslow/Johnson/Booker or select Sam Dekker in the draft. Prediction: They’re looking at the wing situation again next summer. And, Edy was never going to be a real factor until spring 2016 at best.

While I think things may get worse before they get better ( like the Hawks losing 6 of their next 8, and be 10 - 10 by the end of the month ), Bud definitely knows what he's doing, and has earned enough respect to receive the benefit of the doubt from me and most other fans.

NOTE:  I wrote this before tonight's game but forgot to post it.  Never thought we'd lose to the Nets though.

6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

From last year.  I mean we're not going to be the Cubs or Yankees overnight or maybe at all but to say nothing has changed in the value or perception of this franchise is very far from the truth.  

So our attendance increase was even more than that of the city getting the best player in the world and favorite son back.   Not to mention we increased 21 percent with a team that was already a playoff team the year before.   

That's only because the Cavs were 8% better in attendance the year before while being one of the worst teams in the league.  It wasn't possible for them to increase more since their attendance last year was 100%

I was just thinking  about a lot of this recently. Its not all on Bud but overall while have done great in the 2nd round we have wasted a lot of first round picks these last few years.  Dennis is the lone 1st rounder left on the roster that we drafted since Jeff Teague. After ditching Smoove and Joe and grabbing all this cap room what have we done with it. We aren't bringing in top talent through the draft OR free agency. We have a great system yes. We have a great player development program yes. But imagine if we spent the same time and energy devloping top talent as opposed to the Bazemores and Muscalas of the world. Teams have realized that you can beat us if you match our intensity. What bothers me about most Atlanta teams is that they are run by guys who think they are smarter than everyone else, and who think that we are too good to take chances on players with even the slightest of red flags. Last I checked we haven't won a championship, in a long time. Maybe we could climb off our high horses long enough to realize we aren't better than other teams just because we pass the ball around more. It takes talent and heart. We are missing a little bit of both if you ask me.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 2

• Moderators

We did use our cap room to sign and keep guys like Paul Millsap, Kyle Korver and DMC.  None of them were All-Stars prior to coming to Atlanta and all were All-Stars or near all-stars after improving their games under our development program.  I think there is a strong case to be made for getting real results from the development program with higher end guys.

The first round picks have not been well utilized so far.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't know what Bud's gonna do about this recent losing streak (these last close games, smh), but I'm still wondering why Tim Jr. is glued to the bench or worse yet, in the inactive list. Granted there's a lot of things going bad right now and probably playing him won't make the Hawks a world-beater, but... Dennis can't or won't play to the system, KK looks like old JJ out there, Al is getting further and further away from the paint (although he's hitting those 3s)...

Well it's the early season and maybe Bud is still trying to figure some things out, who knows, but I'm bugged. Not overly concerned as of yet, but I'm bugged. I want to see this team win, but there's always something or someone that just will make us lose. Rebounding, turnovers, a few wasted FTs... At some point we'll have to win some if we're going to stay atop of the East.

I don't know. At the end of the day, I still think this team is going to be just fine, but I would like to see some changes right now. Start Splitter? Play some Tim? Play some Edy? Our defense isn't as good as it was in the couple first games. I just don't know.

GO HAWKS!