The real reason Bud was made General Manager

Hawkmoor

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

MONEY INVESTED in players. Bud made ZERO big moves at the trade deadline last year, when it was obvious the hawks have a flawed roster. He will do the same this year. The Hawks are gonna HOLD the course on payroll.  With the private equity model, im pretty sure they are using OTHER people's money to fund this whole deal. Thats the leverage. In order to do that, the Hawks revenue must be at a high enough spread vs debt to get back the principal and interest on the funding.  Thats why they are remodeling Phillips Arena. Sure, there are some design flaws in the stadium, but not enough to warrant what the new investors are doing, UNLESS, the goal is to increase operating revenues AND the end game of increasing the value of the team, so that all parties make a profit. 

The timing was PERFECT.  With the new tv contracts coming out next year, the value of all NBA teams will increase. If you DONT increase payroll to keep up, the profit spread INCREASES substantially. Grant Hill knows what he is doing. They dont recruit dummies up at Duke University. He is a real investor.

Again, I see no connection.  I get the private equity model but they could have put in anyone as GM with restrictions on spending.

Moreover, restrictions on spending don't necessarily correlate to private equity investment anyway.  There are lots of long-term owners who restrict spending, including the Spurs franchise which has avoided the luxury tax for most of its existence despite being at or near championship level for many of those seasons.  

Honestly, until shown otherwise, do any of you realistically think that ANY Atlanta pro sports team can become a legit perennial contender and not just "good" without a lot of luck (like the 1990s Braves)?

If you don't like this fact, I suggest....perhaps not rooting for any Atlanta pro team?

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ferry's buyout came entirely from ASG as a condition of the sale.   So the new guys didn't put any money toward that.   

That stuff is a big wash at the end of a deal like that.  You settle on a price and then sort it out.  The new owners could have discounted the sale price and taken on Ferry and bought him out but they didn't want that headache.  So instead of lowering the sale price to account for the buyout, they pay a higher sale price and the ASG buys him out.  6 of one, half dozen of the other as far as cash goes but for PR it was important that the ASG clean up their own mess before completing the sale.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Ferry's buyout came entirely from ASG as a condition of the sale.   So the new guys didn't put any money toward that.   Bud was made President of basketball ops because that's the best way to keep him around.   I'm sure there were other teams ready to lure him away.     And there is a salary cap.  So the opportunities to 'increase payroll' are highly restricted.  

@macdaddy  c'mon don't let's get facts in the way of agendas.

I'm telling y'all why the hawk's aren't making moves to get OVER the top, but excuses are being made For the investors. It's all good. I guess perennial playoff exits are enough to placate Hawk's fans.....carry on. .

Edited by Hawkmoor

10 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I'm telling y'all why the hawk's aren't making moves to get OVER the top, but excuses are being made For the investors. It's all good. I guess perennial playoff exits are enough to placate. Hawk's fans.....carry on. .

What MOVE puts them OVER the top?

I reread your first post to see if I missed something, but nope, you aren't telling us why they aren't making moves.  You're speculating why they hired Bud as GM (which they didn't).   

Edited by JayBirdHawk

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What MOVE puts them OVER the top?

Trade THJr for Durant.  Problem solved.

Take off your granite-colored glasses, Bird.  Join the revolution!

On a totally unrelated note, can somebody teach me how to use sarcasm tags.  Not sure I laid it on thick enough, don't want anyone to get confused.

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Trade THJr for Durant.  Problem solved.

Take off your granite-colored glasses, Bird.  Join the revolution!

On a totally unrelated note, can somebody teach me how to use sarcasm tags.  Not sure I laid it on thick enough, don't want anyone to get confused.

@hawksfanatic can help you with that.

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@hawksfanatic can help you with that.

I was being ..... sarcastic.

See, that's why we need sarcasm tags. :happy:

1 minute ago, hawksfanatic said:

I think @Dolfan23 took that away.

Dolfan and Steve Kerr are both dead.  Can anyone prove otherwise?  Nope.

12 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I'm telling y'all why the hawk's aren't making moves to get OVER the top, but excuses are being made For the investors. It's all good. I guess perennial playoff exits are enough to placate Hawk's fans.....carry on. .

Its gonna take more than adding like a Howard and trying to play more inside out when your shooters are questionable. In fact, that’s likely not even the answer.

The answer is likely trading for a LEGIT replacement for Korver and forgetting the idea of playing with two stretch big men entirely, question is, will the latter happen under this regime? I deeply doubt it. It’d likely take moving on to yet ANOTHER regime to forget the idea of two stretch big men.

I can see a way of acquiring someone like an Alec Burks, but I'm just not seeing a quick fix for the latter. It's not Faried, as he's not a center and I'll pass on Howard and Cousins due to the extracurricular stuff.

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I was being ..... sarcastic.

See, that's why we need sarcasm tags. :happy:

Dolfan and Steve Kerr are both dead.  Can anyone prove otherwise?  Nope.

loki-side-eye-marvel-just-quietly-deploy

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Why wouldn't they want to get OVER the top and win a championship if they are just going to flip it in a couple of years?   Wouldn't that make the franchise much more valuable?   We're talking about $50 million in salary vs. a sale of potentially a Billion dollars (or $1,000 million).     If you're trying to maximize the sale price I don't think saving a few million on salary as opposed to the value of winning a championship is a smart business decision.   

On 12/7/2015, 12:44:11, Hawkmoor said:

The Hawks never make moves to get over the top. No matter who the owner is.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

" how long do you think it will be before they catch on that we aint REALLY trying to win big ?? "

The only really good trade bait that the Hawks even have right now is Paul Millsap. May be able to get something with Horford and Schröder, but both of their values have plummeted into the trash can right now.

How about...the answer is Atlanta has no trade bait right now?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The only really good trade bait that the Hawks even have right now is Paul Millsap. May be able to get something with Horford and Schröder, but both of their values have plummeted into the trash can right now.

How about...the answer is Atlanta has no trade bait right now?

I don't agree with that.   I think Horford and Dennis would be very attractive pieces for some.   Dennis has been rough this year but he's still better than a lot of PGs out there including some starters.