• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things that piss me off about the hawks

aali34

• Premium Member

No superstar to build.

You only get high level players two ways, draft or free agency and so far no such luck.

tried to replace a 6'8 small forward with a shooting guard

Trade away anything that has actual or potential worth for a bag of peanuts - Lucas Noguiera,Lou Williams.Adriean Payne,Kelly Oubre

Put more work into second round picks instead of first round picks

Spurs comparisons - Before I liked it, now i don't. The hawks couldn't be more different - 

Hawks- (EDIT: OP post continues with next post. ~lw3)

• Like 2

• Premium Member

No superstar to build around.

You only get high level players two ways, draft or free agency and so far no such luck.

tried to replace a 6'8 small forward with a shooting guard

Trade away anything that has actual or potential worth for a bag of peanuts - Lucas Noguiera,Lou Williams.Adriean Payne,Kelly Oubre

Put more work into second round picks instead of first round picks

Spurs comparisons - Before I liked it, now i don't. Yeah there are some similarities, but a hella lot differences-

Hawks- EVERYONE tries to shoot threes including the bigs                  

Spurs - Only two bigs shoot threes - Matt Bonner(bench warmer)  and Boris Diaw (used to play small forward but switched to power forward.) And don't say that the other bigs are bad at threes, if Lamarcus Aldridge was playing for the Hawks he definitely would be taking 3's

Hawks - No post play

Spurs - FOUR post up bigmen - Tim Duncan, Lamarcus Aldridge, David West, Boris Diaw ( Youtube it, his footwork is amazing)

Hawks -Can't do sh-t with any first round pick, they had the 15th pick and gave it up (except Schröder who still has been playing like sh-t)

Spurs - Gues who they got with the 15th pick they trade George Hill for? Kawhi Leonard

Hawks - Fail to adress problem early on

Spurs - When they have a problem, they try to fix it. When they got swept in the first round because of poor defense on the wing, what did they do? Dratf a defensive small forward. When Tim Duncan had to rest during the regular season becuase of age, what did they do? Draft a defensive minded center. When they lost in the first round of the playoffs last year what did they do, unload on us and score bigtime. The comparisons gotta stop, The spurs stay ahead of the curve while the hawks are on it.  Budenholzer is not Popavich. Popavich hates threes and budenholzer loves them Im not syaing he is a bad coach, just different coaching styles.

By and large, this has been a very disappointing season so far. Maybe things will tun around and maybe they won't. I cant really stay mad at Bud since the team is basically a group of complimentary pieces to a superstar player. I always tried to stay optimistic but now I gotta be realistic. I see the Hawks winning a championship down the road with the same coach, but a different group of players.

Let's be clear, Bud nor Ferry drafted all that well. Dennis was an excellent pick but outside of that, only our 2nd rounders have been good. 

I agree about the Spurs comparison,  I don't see it. They don't move it, shoot it or score it anywhere near as good and defensively without Carroll,  they aren't a championship defense anymore.

This team added more talent but lost fit and winning type of talent for meh like talent who isn't winners.

• Premium Member

Let me play defense and offense here.

First defense.   We still have some good players and a great coach.  

Offense.  Horf got to go.

Problem.  Horf doesn't want to be a down and dirty C that we really need.  Splitter is not that guy either.    The league is getting bigger.  Bigger Bigs are starting to come in and make their bones.   We have a crew of PF/Sf guys.  I don't know if anybody with a Young big would easily give them up.  For instance, I see some potential in Dieng and maybe Horf for Deng/Kmart would work because Minny has Townes and Horf could fit in as PF there.

A player who fits us to a tee is Ryan Anderson.  The Rhino.  And he's available.   BUT... he's another PF/Sf guy.

I think this offense won't work without a low post threat, a glass eater supreme. 

Here's the problem....

I like Mike Scott?!!?!  The guy plays with energy and he plays tough.  But how long will he be here?

So let's say we suffer and Keep Horf and look for yet another shortterm fix.

Could we trade something like Scott and Dennis for Ryan Anderson and then move Sap to Sf and start Rhino?  Would having 3 7reb a game guys in the starting lineup help?  Would Ryan be able to bring us toughness on the boards?

• Premium Member

I don't think so,

For me personally, I think the Hawks are gonna pull a Golden State and replace their starters with their bench. 

I might be wrong, but this is possible -

Schröder - Teague

Hardaway - Korver

Tavares - Horford

This has been a thought of mine for a while, and i thought when they drafted Oubre that he would eventually be our starting small-forward.

It may seem dumb, but all those dudes could be something if they reached their full potential. But just as it is in Atlanta, luck never goes our way.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, aali34 said:

I don't think so,

For me personally, I think the Hawks are gonna pull a Golden State and replace their starters with their bench. 

I might be wrong, but this is possible -

Schröder - Teague

Hardaway - Korver

Tavares - Horford

This has been a thought of mine for a while, and i thought when they drafted Oubre that he would eventually be our starting small-forward.

It may seem dumb, but all those dudes could be something if they reached their full potential. But just as it is in Atlanta, luck never goes our way.

I don't believe that for this simple reason.  They are not playing 2 of the 3 guys at all.  We are more prone to pull a San Antonio like move and bring in our own Leonard than we are to take one of these Matt Bonner, Patty Mills types and make them into the next bunch of starters. 

• Premium Member

Yea, but Danny Green was cut twice from the spurs before he was a starter, and Splitter used to see no minutes at all.

By the way, Splitter is playing like trash because he plays best with good passing guards (manu Ginobili)

Dang, @aali34 why didn't you put these in '12 days of Christmas' form?  Would've been epic.

I think you're spot on though w.r.t the "Spurs" comparison.  It needs to stop.  As you so eloquently illustrated, they handle their business so much more effectively than we do it's not even funny.  They see a deficiency, work to resolve it immediately.  We see a deficiency and ..... afd isao;hgldsa;sak; all over ourselves.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Bonkers said:

LMAO becuz he won the COY award last year he's a GREAT coach???

So Sam Mitchell is also a great coach huh. People throw around the word great WAYYYY TOO MUCH

Good does not mean Great. Or I guess u just have much lower standards than I do lol

How do you define Great?

The league has had a champion game for 68 years.  

The league has given out the Coach of the year 53 times.   OF those 53 times, 9 of those times the award was awarded to a previous award winner.  that means that there have been 42 coaches that have held this award.

For our franchise, those award winners were:  Mike Fratello, Lenny Wilkins, Hubie Brown, and Budholzer.

I don't pretend to know how many coaches have been in the NBA.  But over the 53 years of the COY award in the NBA let's just estimate a mild 400.  (we're sure it's probably more).  Being 1 of the 42 in 400 is very good right?  Moreover, in the 68 years of NBA championship, there had to be at least 136 coaches that made it to the "conference finals".   Note that Lenny, Mike, nor Hubie ever took this team to the conference finals.  Let's not even count the coaches that showed up to the conference finals several times because there were several who did.   To be numbered amoung those means something right?

So how do you define great?