• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cleveland is trying to win a championship. Atlanta is not...

Hawkmoor

And THATS why Cleveland swept the Hawks in the playoffs last season.  Cleveland made moves last season to acquire Shumpert and Smith, to overcome the Hawks. They knew they needed perimeter shooting and perimeter defense to do that. Yes, the Hawks FORCED Cleveland to address them. 

This season, after getting mauled by San Antonio and Golden State, Cleveland fires their head coach and has Mosgov and Love on the trading blocks.    The Hawks get mauled by San Antonio TWICE, and they are doing NOTHING.   Again, you can spread the floor all day long, but if you are not a great shooting team like Golden State, you BETTER be able to rebound, which the Hawks obviously are lacking at.   Cleveland might not beat Golden State in a rematch, but at LEAST they tried to improve their team......

Teams have addressed THEIR shortcomings and made moves to counter what WAS a great Hawks team early last year. Toronto did it. New York did it. The Hawks scared the hell out of the Eastern Conference last year. I hate the fact that THEY will not counter anybody. Another wasted season gonna go down the drain with this bunch.

I heard Cleveland's general manager say its about championships with them. Again, i have YET to hear ANYBODY out of Hawks ownership or front office say anything about winning chips. If they have, they not showing it.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

And THATS why Cleveland swept the Hawks in the playoffs last season.  Cleveland made moves last season to acquire Shumpert and Smith, to overcome the Hawks. They knew they needed perimeter shooting and perimeter defense to do that. Yes, the Hawks FORCED Cleveland to address them.  This season, after getting mauled by San Antonio and Golden State, Cleveland fires their head coach and has Mosgov and Love on the trading blocks.    The Hawks get mauled by San Antonio TWICE, and they are doing NOTHING.   Again, you can spread the floor all day long, but if you are not a great shooting team like Golden State, you BETTER be able to rebound, which the Hawks obviously are lacking at.   Cleveland might not beat Golden State in a rematch, but at LEAST they tried to improve their team......

I am one who thinks David Blatt got the short end of the stick in this situation, but there is something to be said about the point you make here.  Whether they are right or wrong on this, Cleveland's mentality is about trying to win a championship and they didn't feel that what they had right now was going to do that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jody23 said:

I am one who thinks David Blatt got the short end of the stick in this situation, but there is something to be said about the point you make here.  Whether they are right or wrong on this, Cleveland's mentality is about trying to win a championship and they didn't feel that what they had right now was going to do that.

Exactly. If  you TRYING to win championships, then, if you make the wrong move, fans can live with that.  In Atlanta, the local teams ALWAYS get a pass by the fans. The Hawks aint trying to REALLY win a championship. Ive said it a few times in threads i made about how slick the new ownership is. They look at the Hawks as a PURELY a investment.

4 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

You have NO idea what Atlanta is doing behind the scenes

You are correct, but i know EVERYTHING they doing IN FRONT of the scenes...........NOTHING.....   WAIT, hole up, they DID facilitate San Antonios's ability to sign Aldridge by taking Splitter off their hands........lmao  

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

Funny, i go over to the ajc sports page to check up on things, and look what Mark Bradley said yesterday:

http://markbradley.blog.myajc.com/2016/01/22/a-year-later-the-hawks-are-only-pretty-good/

Here’s the thing, though: They weren’t the team of January 2015 in April or May of last year, either. They were pressed by sub-.500 Brooklyn in Round 1, were lucky to beat gimpy Washington in Round 2 and were swept by Cleveland without Kevin Love in the Eastern Conference finals. But it was those Cavaliers who showed that, if you’re resourceful enough, you can remake your team in midseason.

The post-Ferry personnel decisions of Budenholzer and Wes Wilcox have been uninspiring. A deft move now could change everything. The trade deadline is Feb. 18.

I agree that the Hawks' roster decisions have been suspect at best over the last few seasons.

We don't have our first rounder from two years ago, we traded away our first rounder last year for a guy who is just now starting to crack the rotation (and I'm hoping he keeps playing well because I am a fan), we let DMC walk and really didn't add much to replace him other than acquiring Splitter, which was the type of move I would have loved at the deadline last year to improve that team.

BUUUUUUUT...that was under old ownership and they just didn't have the desire to spend money like Dan Gilbert does.  Making moves like the Cavs have done and are doing is all about how much your owner will let you spend.  But it can be a double edged sword at times because the Cavs have very little flexibility moving forward with the roster they currently have.  If they don't win a title this year then I'm not sure what they do to improve the team.

The Nets were willing to spend big a few years ago and look how that turned out for them.  What you need is a good mix of an owner who doesn't mind spending and a GM that knows what they are doing.  I'm on board with Bud "The Coach" but I have questions about Bud "The GM".

• Like 1

Do you have any suggestions? There arent any moves we can make they can put us on the CLE/SAS/GSW tier.

We dont have the assets or the talent to make the kind of  moves cleveland made last year that would propel us to elite status. The Horford for Greg Monroe or Teague for Ariza type trades people are suggesting are lateral moves at best.

Nothing short of us getting 2 top 10 players in return would give us any shot against the top tier teams.

• Like 1

If Atlanta was trying to win a championship, they would be in REBUILDING MODE.

As that's the only way they'd really get to on tier with those teams.

But if they did go to rebuilding, they would anger an already angry sports fanbase here, because most are p*ssed off that the Braves are rebuilding and mad at the Falcons.

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

And THATS why Cleveland swept the Hawks in the playoffs last season.  Cleveland made moves last season to acquire Shumpert and Smith, to overcome the Hawks. They knew they needed perimeter shooting and perimeter defense to do that. Yes, the Hawks FORCED Cleveland to address them. 

This season, after getting mauled by San Antonio and Golden State, Cleveland fires their head coach and has Mosgov and Love on the trading blocks.    The Hawks get mauled by San Antonio TWICE, and they are doing NOTHING.   Again, you can spread the floor all day long, but if you are not a great shooting team like Golden State, you BETTER be able to rebound, which the Hawks obviously are lacking at.   Cleveland might not beat Golden State in a rematch, but at LEAST they tried to improve their team......

Teams have addressed THEIR shortcomings and made moves to counter what WAS a great Hawks team early last year. Toronto did it. New York did it. The Hawks scared the hell out of the Eastern Conference last year. I hate the fact that THEY will not counter anybody. Another wasted season gonna go down the drain with this bunch.

I heard Cleveland's general manager say its about championships with them. Again, i have YET to hear ANYBODY out of Hawks ownership or front office say anything about winning chips. If they have, they not showing it.

I honestly don't know if the deal to make is there. Unlike you, Atlanta is not going to trade Horford because you want them to. 

Unlike you, we aren't going to trade one of our PG's unless the deal that would improve this team is out there. 

As of now, most of our trade pieces are backcourt players. We aren't willing to trade none of our bigs and don't need too. But there is abundance of PG's in the NBA so getting good value for someone like Jeff or even Dennis if he was on the market is not easy at all.  I would trade Jeff for a package of Jabari Parker or Fournier/Gordon or Hezonja but that doesn't those teams would. It's simple, unless the trade is out there, it's likely not going to be made. 

I like this team, I like there bench now that it is coming together. The only thing this team is missing is a SF, especially one with #1 option potential like Parker or even a Marion type like Gordon who is a tweener on most teams but is a SF for us. That's what this team is missing. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yungsta said:

Do you have any suggestions? There arent any moves we can make they can put us on the CLE/SAS/GSW tier.

We dont have the assets or the talent to make the kind of  moves cleveland made last year that would propel us to elite status. The Horford for Greg Monroe or Teague for Ariza type trades people are suggesting are lateral moves at best.

Nothing short of us getting 2 top 10 players in return would give us any shot against the top tier teams.

Horford for Monroe isn't a lateral move, it's a move going BACKWARDS. WAY BACKWARDS. 

Ariza for Teague is literally solid value but it doesn't solve any issues and HOU doesn't really need Jeff considering they have 18 million in their PG's right now but Ariza is there only starting level SF. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Cleveland isn't trying to win anything.  They are trying to placate Prima Donna LeBronna.  If they were trying to win a championship, they would not have handed the reins over to Ty Lue.  They would have canned their stupid GM for all the bad moves he made.  They would tell LeBronna to shut his trap and play ball, instead of blaming everyone else.   It was always Bosh's fault in Miami, now it's Love's fault in Cleveland.  It's never LeBronna's fault.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And there. Let's do it. Blow it up. React very harshly to the reality. Trade away all of the starters except for Bazemore and trade Splitter and Sefolosha. Go scorched earth with a plan to be ready to compete in 2019.

Bazemore gets a pass?  That is so hilarious I can't stop laughing.

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I honestly don't know if the deal to make is there. Unlike you, Atlanta is not going to trade Horford because you want them to. 

Unlike you, we aren't going to trade one of our PG's unless the deal that would improve this team is out there. 

As of now, most of our trade pieces are backcourt players. We aren't willing to trade none of our bigs and don't need too. But there is abundance of PG's in the NBA so getting good value for someone like Jeff or even Dennis if he was on the market is not easy at all.  I would trade Jeff for a package of Jabari Parker or Fournier/Gordon or Hezonja but that doesn't those teams would. It's simple, unless the trade is out there, it's likely not going to be made. 

I like this team, I like there bench now that it is coming together. The only thing this team is missing is a SF, especially one with #1 option potential like Parker or even a Marion type like Gordon who is a tweener on most teams but is a SF for us. That's what this team is missing. 

That trade Cleveland made to acquire Shumpert and Smith couldve blown up, but at least they tried.  Its like this: staying PUT is not gonna win a championship. Im beginning to see what LURKER of all people is saying on this board.  Lurker keeps harping about blowing it up and starting over. I never commented on that before because i thought it was ludicrous. But you know what? Lurker is RIGHT.  If people keep saying the Hawks DONT HAVE a move to make, then the next best thing IS to blow it  up.  Constantly running teams out there year after year after year,  just to not seriously challenge for a championship. Man, thats old. They been doing that since 1970...

The ONLY time i can think when the Hawks RESPONDED to not being able to complete a championship run, was 1989 when they got rid of Randy Wittman and Tree Rollins for Reggie Theus and Moses Malone. Didnt work out, but, you know WHY people didnt clown them for that? Its because they saw the Hawks TRYING to respond to the Celtics. I cant remember them being that serious since then.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

That trade Cleveland made to acquire Shumpert and Smith couldve blown up, but at least they tried.  Its like this: staying PUT is not gonna win a championship. Im beginning to see what LURKER of all people is saying on this board.  Lurker keeps harping about blowing it up and starting over. I never commented on that before because i thought it was ludicrous. But you know what? Lurker is RIGHT.  If people keep saying the Hawks DONT HAVE a move to make, then the next best thing IS to blow it  up.  Constantly running teams out there year after year after year,  just to not seriously challenge for a championship. Man, thats old. They been doing that since 1970...

You have to have big expiring with poor performances, you can trade them for under performing assets from teams trying to tank like NY.  We don't have one under performing contract unless you think Tiago is and he's not an expiring. So for us to get a coup like that, we have the have the perfect mix. Right now, for us, it would be trading an asset for an asset. 

Seeing as we won't get fair value for Sap or Horford. Are best bet is Teague who could at least get us a four star NBA prospect. Probably won't get a legit starting SF for him but we could get a prospect like Parker, Fouiner/Gordon or Hezonja or Saric from Philly. Which is taking a step back to hopefully take two steps forward in the future. 

Edited by NBASupes

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

You have to have big expiring with poor performances, you can trade them for under performing assets from teams trying to tank like NY.  We don't have one under performing contract unless you think Tiago is and he's not an expiring. So for us to get a coup like that, we have the have the perfect mix. Right now, for us, it would be trading an asset for an asset. 

Seeing as we won't get fair value for Sap or Horford. Are best bet is Teague who could at least get us a four star NBA prospect. Probably won't get a legit starting SF for him but we could get a prospect like Parker, Fouiner/Gordon or Hezonja or Saric from Philly. 

Do you think Teague could get us Afflalo?

I kinda want to change my name to Snidely Whiplash.  Oh, i thought the thread was about saying dumb sh*t.

One thing we have to remember is how much we don't know about the behind the scenes goings on in these organizations.  We also have to understand assets and values.  CLE had a plethora of valuable assets to deal, we just don't.

Also, suggesting AuerBlatt's firing was anything other than placating Prima Donna LeBronna (I'm totally stealing that one @Watchman) is comical.

2 hours ago, capstone21 said:

You have NO idea what Atlanta is doing behind the scenes

It's clear that they are doing nothing beneficial to try and improve.