• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

THJr Watch...

Diesel

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I wear Extra-medium.  Where can i get one?   Ok I wear 2X-Medium....with the sleeves cut off.

lol, at least you're not a fat-a** like @Spud2Nique squeezing into those mediums thinking it makes him look muscular.  Newsflash Spud2, love handles aren't muscles.

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm just going to keep calling it like I see it.  If THJr plays well, I will enjoy watching that and you will enjoy my take more.  If he goes back to rest of the season form, you won't enjoy hearing it and I won't like watching it.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  And, to be fair, I don't enjoy hearing any of your takes anyway so .... (ha, I'm on a roll today)

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

lol, at least you're not a fat-a** like @Spud2Nique squeezing into those mediums thinking it makes him look muscular.  Newsflash Spud2, love handles aren't muscles.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  And, to be fair, I don't enjoy hearing any of your takes anyway so .... (ha, I'm on a roll today)

Good morning to you too sunshine! Wtf!

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Tim can shoot 20% on 3s for the season at this point for all I care.  If he wins us some playoff games I'm happy.

The obvious issue is that shooting worse than Josh Smith from the perimeter will significantly impair his ability to win us some playoff games as it will impact both his scoring efficiency and our spacing on the floor.  In the regular season, you can get away with a broken 3 a lot more than in the playoffs when teams will start disrespecting your outside shot and cutting off your driving lanes.

I think he will be much more likely to win us some games if he starts hitting them.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, High5 said:

Thanks, Magic.

It is a Captain Obvious statement but it is like saying:

"I don't care if Horford rebounds if he helps us win games!"

If we are winning all the time there are no complaints but we have a better chance to win when Horford cleans up the defensive boards.  So what is the point in saying that you don't care about one of a player's main responsibilities where he is struggling "as long as the team wins."   We have been pretty mediocre in 2016 so I think  we need every edge we can get come playoff time.  Losing to the teams we have doesn't leave me in a position where I'm like "hey, we need more from our center on the defensive boards but you know what - we are so good that it doesn't even matter."

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we are winning all the time there are no complaints but we have a better chance to win when Horford cleans up the defensive boards.  So what is the point in saying that you don't care about one of a player's main responsibilities where he is struggling "as long as the team wins."   We have been pretty mediocre in 2016 so I think  we need every edge we can get come playoff time.  Losing to the teams we have doesn't leave me in a position where I'm like "hey, we need more from our center on the defensive boards but you know what - we are so good that it doesn't even matter."

Not to beat a dead horse but my point was that I don't care much about his regular season stats at this point in the year.   He's not going to have great looking stats for the regular season but if he plays well and wins games for us in the playoffs that's huge for this team.    I wasn't saying I hope he shoots like crap in the playoffs but somehow wins games.  

13 hours ago, AHF said:

I lived through Marvin, Payne, Law, Shelden, Glover, Bebe, Jenkins, McLeod, etc.. Sometimes a bad move is just that.  We got some decent play at times out of Jimmy Jackson but the move was a mistake.  Let's see where this one goes.

We've all lived through those nightmare players unfortunately...:barf:

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

If THJr's  main responsibility was to just shoot 3's like Kyle you'd have a point.  Kyle is limited by what he is and can do offensively - that's his specialty.

THJr has more tools and is more than a 3pt shooter unlike Kyle, so your obsession with only his 3pts % is like...

tumblr_lgk968ETPZ1qgljqvo1_500.gif

"" style="border: 0px none; vertical-align: bottom;" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" name="google_ads_iframe_12523293/www.myajc.com-wired/sports/basketball_5" title="3rd party ad content" id="google_ads_iframe_12523293/www.myajc.com-wired/sports/basketball_5" frameborder="0" height="250" width="300">

About the Author

CHRIS VIVLAMORE Chris Vivlamore has served as the AJC’s beat writer for the Atlanta Hawks since 2012.

11 minutes ago, hazer said:

Mods, please delete previous post attempting to post this article. Not real sure what happened with that formatting. Try this:

Viv is told Tim.....

THJr led the Hawks with a +20 against the Horcats...

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If THJr's  main responsibility was to just shoot 3's like Kyle you'd have a point.  Kyle is limited by what he is and can do offensively - that's his specialty.

THJr has more tools and is more than a 3pt shooter unlike Kyle, so your obsession with only his 3pts % is like...

tumblr_lgk968ETPZ1qgljqvo1_500.gif

I am just scratching my head wondering what you guys are reading.  On this very thread I've sliced the numbers 5 different ways to try to satisfy those who like or who dislike per minute stats ("Oh, AHF is hurting THJr by using absolute numbers when his minutes are low.  That is so disingenuous!"  "Oh, AHF is hurting THJr by looking at per minute production.  DMC has shown us those numbers don't mean #$&*!").  I've given a breakdown of Korver and THJr and their almost complete lack of contribution outside of scoring.  THJr does a great job not turning the ball over.  However for both THJr and Korver:  Rebounding is pathetic.  Assists are low.  Steals and blocks are non-entities for a wing.  Rates in all these are among the worst on the team.  

Thus, I do focus on his scoring since his entire contribution hinges on that and his improving positional defense.  His FG% is sub-40%.  That is bad.  It can only be made up in two ways -- free throws and 3pters.  Free throws are a mixed bag for THJr.  His free throw rates are way down this season and rank among the worst on the team (he is 11th on the team in FTA and 12th on the team in FTA/36) but he has hit the FTs at a steller rate so everyone he gets is a big positive to his TS%.

The reason I think the 3pt% is key for this team is two reasons:

(1)  I don't think Timmy has seen the impact of focused scouting on the way he is being defended.  Right now, guys aren't deliberately taking away his driving lanes and trying to bait him to shoot the long Js.  Come playoff time, I don't bank on that continuing.  If teams start backing off him and taking away the drives, that will take away from the best part of his offense right now - the ability to get some penetration and draw fouls or take a closer shot.

(2)  If you don't have to respect a guard's 3pt shot, then spacing on the floor collapses for the rest of the team.  It is the Rondo dilemma.  For perspective, Rondo and Josh Smith are going to outshoot THJr from 3pt range this year if he doesn't right the ship so this is a big enough liability that teams will gameplan around it when he is on the floor once they start paying attention.  I fear it will be the reverse Korver effect.  If he gets it up to his subpar last season 34% then that will be much more viable than what he has done so far this year so I think that is critical.  

Now maybe we get lucky and people still keep trying to guard him on the perimeter if his 3pt% doesn't improve.  We saw that with Pero where teams continued to guard him.  However, we've also seen what a bit of strategic defense can do to a guy who has holes in his game with Korver.  Regular season stud last year, but struggled in the playoffs because he wasn't defended the same way.  THJr needs to get some range so guys can't abuse him with defensive adjustments.

I'm sorry I meant to say:

"I h8 dat 3.  IC nothing but da 3.  L8r."

• Premium Member

I got two points.

1.  CViv reads Hawksquawk Hard.

2.  AHF is just doubling down on his original dislike of the trade to get THJr.  It's fair.  THJr has to prove himself.   The comparison with Oubre is hilarious though.  Oubre was forced into play for the Wiz because everybody got hurt.   He was made to play offense.  His numbers are spiked because he played on a bad team and he was the scorer. Since everybody came back, Oubre is an afterthought.   The main thing that was said about Oubre Jr. is that he lacked BBIQ.  That's not a Bud guy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I got two points.

2.  AHF is just doubling down on his original dislike of the trade to get THJr.  It's fair.  THJr has to prove himself.   The comparison with Oubre is hilarious though.  Oubre was forced into play for the Wiz because everybody got hurt.   He was made to play offense.  His numbers are spiked because he played on a bad team and he was the scorer. Since everybody came back, Oubre is an afterthought.   The main thing that was said about Oubre Jr. is that he lacked BBIQ.  That's not a Bud guy.

If CViv reads squawk I'd love to tell him that he sucks a$$ and he's lucky he still somehow has a job. He's just really horrible I'm sorry.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

butthurt.gif

~@ahf

An argumentum ad hominem is any kind of argument that criticizes an idea by pointing something out about the people who hold the idea rather than directly addressing the merits of the idea.    Ad hominem attacks are ultimately self-defeating. They are equivalent to admitting that you have lost the argument.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AdHominem

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I got two points.

The comparison with Oubre (a) isn't one I brought up and (b) is simply there to respond to the slamming of Oubre by getting people to be intellectually honest.  If you think Oubre's numbers suck and that he therefore lacks potential, how do you go the other direction when looking at THJr's numbers which are similarly limited and craptastic?  

I am not pumping up Oubre and think both guys have stunk this year.  

As I said, I think THJr is the better player for this season (which he should be given his years and thousands of minutes more NBA experience) and hope the recent few games become a trend for him.  I just need more before I'm ready to say that he has turned the corner or that his broken 3pt shot, lack of rebounding, steals, blocks, etc. aren't going to be a factor in how good he can be.

The biggest positive has been his improved defense given how bad it was in NY.