• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I want Baze back, but at the 2. Can we afford him and a SF upgrade?

HawkItus

Don't know about exact numbers but you would hope the players and FO can work it out. Somehow the Spurs pull it off. Your idea on Baze starting at SG is right on. Maybe next year Baze and Hardaway at SG. Big ? at SF with Thabo and Korver off the bench.  Korver could back both positions up but hopefully he plays less total minutes. Al,Baze and a SF is going to be seriously expensive I fear. 

• Like 1

@kg01Depends on what SF you want.   Barnes and Batum are the top 2 and getting max deals.

We have approx $13 mill (I think) after Al (18 mil) and Baze's caphold (2.6 mil) and releasing Heiny and Humpy.

Trading Splitter for 2nd round pick would free up additional $8.5.  Trading Kyle's $5 mil, not picking up Scott $3.3 mil option - that's $16 mil.

Baze would have to take way less than the $15 million I keep seeing projected  ( latest I saw for Baze was $17 mil - just ridiculous).

Or we could not re-sign Al and just start Edy.

I really would prefer Baze at SG.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@kg01Depends on what SF you want.   Barnes and Batum are the top 2 and getting max deals.

We have approx $13 mill (I think) after Al (18 mil) and Baze's caphold (2.6 mil) and releasing Heiny and Humpy.

Trading Splitter for 2nd round pick would free up additional $8.5.  Trading Kyle's $5 mil, not picking up Scott $3.3 mil option - that's $16 mil.

Baze would have to take way less than the $15 million I keep seeing projected  ( latest I saw for Baze was $17 mil - just ridiculous).

Wha?  How'd I get roped into this discussion?  Oh, I know why.  I'm in yo' brains ...

eyebrows

Appreciate the info tho.  I actually was wondering about this ... *gasp*  maybe she's in yo' brains .... shutup!  Wait, who's talking?  Who's in my brains?!

Seriously though, w.r.t. Baze, I think TOR will throw a boatload of money at him after they lose Derozan to LAL.  Getcho passport ready, Kint.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Wha?  How'd I get roped into this discussion?  Oh, I know why.  I'm in yo' brains ...

eyebrows

Appreciate the info tho.  I actually was wondering about this ... *gasp*  maybe she's in yo' brains .... shutup!  Wait, who's talking?  Who's in my brains?!

Seriously though, w.r.t. Baze, I think TOR will throw a boatload of money at him after they lose Derozan to LAL.  Getcho passport ready, Kint.

Hahahaha...what'd I do.

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Keep Horford, Sign Batum and let Bazemore walk!

I like that but i think Batum stays in Charlotte.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Bud seems to like the spacing Korver provides in the starting lineup. I don't think teams would respect Bazemore the same way. The offense is worse without Korver. 

Oh my God...What a myth

4 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Bud seems to like the spacing Korver provides in the starting lineup. I don't think teams would respect Bazemore the same way. The offense is worse without Korver. 

What's  the use of the spacing  if our other players aren't  taking advantage  of it by driving to the paint, instead of just launching 3s. 

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

What's  the use of the spacing  if our other players aren't  taking advantage  of it by driving to the paint, instead of just launching 3s.

Or if there is even space at all?

Cleveland is face guarding him and packing the paint with their other players, taking away the offensive actions inside.

3 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

For every hustle play steal, rebound, etc. that Baze makes, he MISSES five shots.........he can go...............

by that logic for every none hustle, none rebound, etc.  the other players miss 10 shots....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

by that logic for every none hustle, none rebound, etc.  the other players miss 10 shots....

POSSESSIONS. You can MEASURE possessions.  Why you think head coaches abhor point guards who turn the ball over?  Kent is a walking turnover machine. He negates the possessions he gains for the Hawks on defense, with the possessions he gives away on offense.  He cant shoot, misses half his layups.  If he DIDNT play good defense, he wouldnt be in anybody's starting lineup.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

For every hustle play steal, rebound, etc. that Baze makes, he MISSES five shots.........he can go...............

I prefer trying too hard and making mistakes than not trying at all.

When Baze feels the need to do more than he is capable of it's  because the rest of our starters are half assing it.

If they pkay up to their potential it will limit Baze  to what he's  good at.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I prefer trying too hard and making mistakes than not trying at all.

When Baze feels the need to do more than he is capable of it's  because the rest of our starters are half assing it.

If they pkay up to their potential it will limit Baze  to what he's  good at.

Thats one way of looking at it. Good point. I have no problem keeping Baze as a bench small forward, but not as a starter. Play him in spots, but not to finish games or key possessions on offense.  Defense are rotating and GIVING him the 3, knowing he is gonna brick it.  The problem is he gonna want that big contract.  Let him walk.

Edited by Hawkmoor

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

Thats one way of looking at it. Good point. I have no problem keeping Baze as a bench small forward, but not as a starter. Play him in spots, but not to finish games or key possessions on offense.  Defense are rotating and GIVING him the 3, knowing he is gonna brick it.  The problem is he gonna want that big contract.  Let him walk.

But, if he is as bad as you think, he won't get a big contract offer.  

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think we need to pick up Scott's option.   He's a good player.

I would like to keep Baze for the starting 2 as well.   We need a big 3.

1 hour ago, HawkItus said:

But, if he is as bad as you think, he won't get a big contract offer.  

Teams sign free agents for various reasons. Sometimes, the player is just the best available. Sometimes, its to appease the fanbase.  In other words, let Baze be somebody elses problem. ( how is the Demarre Carroll thing working out for Toronto?) The Hawks know what he is and isnt. We do to.  If he accepts a decent BACKUP contract, sign him. If not, let him get his money elsewhere.  

The Hawks need talent IMPROVEMENT.  Maintaining the status quo by giving Baze and Horford big contracts is not gonna do anything for that franchise.

• Like 2

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think we need to pick up Scott's option.   He's a good player.

Wait until the last second to make sure no legal developments will impact this.

• Like 1