• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I want Baze back, but at the 2. Can we afford him and a SF upgrade?

HawkItus

Resign horford unfortunately. Sign Noah and sell him on playing with horford. 

Trade Millsap and Teague to teams on the cusp with young talent like the magic, nuggets, milwaukee.

End up with some combination of oladipo, Fournier, will barton, etc. On the wings.

We need an injection of youth and versatility on the wings in particular. Fournier would be awesome but he isn't a sf.

Either way big changes need to be made to break through this glass ceiling

Edited by skimaskway23

16 minutes ago, AHF said:

He actually didn't.  Dallas increased his contract from $57M over 4 years to $70M over 4 years after Jordan blew them off.  Pretty crazy.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/13229891/wesley-matthews-contract-dallas-mavericks-increases-deandre-jordan-reversed-commitment-team

@AHFThe cap this year is $70 mil.  A max for him is 25% of that which is $17.5 mil.  His salary this year is $16.4 mil - looks closer to a max than not.  Unless I'm missing something.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@AHFThe cap this year is $70 mil.  A max for him is 25% of that which is $17.5 mil.  His salary this year is $16.4 mil - looks closer to a max than not.  Unless I'm missing something.

The point is that he signed for much less than $70M.  He would be a Mav on a $57M/4years contract but for DeAndre Jordan's foolery.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

The point is that he signed for much less than $70M.  He would be a Mav on a $57M/4years contract but for DeAndre Jordan's foolery.

No he didn't....

The contract Matthews signed is worth $70 million over four years, a source said.

Matthews' financial agreement with the Mavs was flexible based on whether Jordan also joined the Mavs, a league source confirmed.

He may have initially committed to $57 but he signed the $70.

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

No he didn't....

You are correct.  He didn't sign a contract for $57M.  He agreed to a contract for $57M and then got a boost when Jordan pulled out.  

The article actually notes that his highest offer from other teams was $64M.  This was a very unusual case.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Baze was 24 when the Hawks got him, he's still 26 and has had 1 offseason working in the offense (remember the 1st year he was injured).

How much better he gets depends on if hes plays SG or SF - better players around him will limit some of the crazy things he gets into because our 'BEST' players are sucking, so he feels he has to do more which is ...bad.  I want Bazemore doing more with less.

DMC was 27 when he got here.  He was a more seasoned player.  

Pay attention @Thomas - Baze and EVERY other FA will be getting ridiculous money this and next season.  Like @kg01 said, Toronto if the lose DeRozan,  LAL if they can't get DeRozan.  Philly who has capspace, Kings are crazy.  

Think about this: Wesley Matthews coming off a torn achilles got a max deal - the way of the NBA these days.

The Knicks and the Nets want Bazemore too 

So for the Squawkers that do think we should keep Baze. How much would you pay him wether Al is back or not? I understand that Al's staying with us would affect how much we could give Baze. I'm not really able to comprehend the massive increase in the new cap for all the teams. Crazy money. 

13 minutes ago, Thomas said:

So for the Squawkers that do think we should keep Baze. How much would you pay him wether Al is back or not? I understand that Al's staying with us would affect how much we could give Baze. I'm not really able to comprehend the massive increase in the new cap for all the teams. Crazy money. 

12 million seems to be what most of us are willing to pay him. That way we can add him and still be able to trade for a SF like Tucker. At 15 million or more, it limits us. 

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

With Al's caphold, releasing Humpy and Heiny the Hawks can sign Baze to a max of $15 mil.   I would be comfortable at $10-$12 mil whether Al is back or not.  

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With Al's caphold, releasing Humpy and Heiny the Hawks can sign Baze to a max of $15 mil.   I would be comfortable at $10-$12 mil whether Al is back or not.  

We would have 17 after draft caphold for 21st pick. But it limits us from there. Add the NTPMLE

Just now, Jody23 said:

I think we're going to see in hindsight, even though the cap went up, teams are going to make some crucial mistakes with the contracts they give to some players.

Yep, agreed.  They are banking on a new amnesty provision in the new CBA to bail them out again. Middling players getting boatloads of money then the owners will start crying about it.

• Premium Member
On 04/05/2016 at 10:10 PM, Jody23 said:

I'm against the Hawks getting into any bad contracts, but I don't get how some are so against Baze getting overpaid and at the same time are so eager to overpay Horford.

Because Horford is a hundred times the player Baze is?

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Because Horford is a hundred times the player Baze is?

Better player than Baze?  Sure, although the playoffs aren't showing that.  A hundred times better?  That's being a bit generous.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Per the wiretap FestusEzeli is likely to command a 3 year, $50 million contract.    - OMG, make it stop.

Unreal. The guy is hurt a lot and when he's on the court he's just not particularly good. He will average over 16 mil a year? I remember when the hawks talked about him but drafted Jenkins.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Unreal. The guy is hurt a lot and when he's on the court he's just not particularly good. He will average over 16 mil a year? I remember when the hawks talked about him but drafted Jenkins.

Per the wiretap John Jenkins is likely to command a 3 year, $39 million contract.   

j/k

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Per the wiretap John Jenkins is likely to command a 3 year, $39 million contract.   

j/k

Jenkins averaged eleven minutes a game and scored four points a game. Not even a crazy expanding cap explains a 39 mil contract. Someone is making a serious mistake. Sounds like April's Fool.