• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I want Baze back, but at the 2. Can we afford him and a SF upgrade?

HawkItus

7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@kg01Depends on what SF you want.   Barnes and Batum are the top 2 and getting max deals.

We have approx $13 mill (I think) after Al (18 mil) and Baze's caphold (2.6 mil) and releasing Heiny and Humpy.

Trading Splitter for 2nd round pick would free up additional $8.5.  Trading Kyle's $5 mil, not picking up Scott $3.3 mil option - that's $16 mil.

Baze would have to take way less than the $15 million I keep seeing projected  ( latest I saw for Baze was $17 mil - just ridiculous).

Or we could not re-sign Al and just start Edy.

I really would prefer Baze at SG.

Let Heiny, Humphy, and Scott go. Trade Splitter, keep Korver. 

Hope Bazemore takes a team friendly deal increasing per year (3 yr, 9/11/13 mill per?).  Not worth keeping for 15mil per. We'll see what happens. 17 is insane - more power to him I'd he gets that.

Keep Al (will have to max).

Hope we get someone with above average impact at SF.

Maybe Hawks new MO is to develop young guys, then send them out to the FA market to Cap-strap the competition? 

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What's  the use of the spacing  if our other players aren't  taking advantage  of it by driving to the paint, instead of just launching 3s. 

That's on Coach Bud.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

I'm against the Hawks getting into any bad contracts, but I don't get how some are so against Baze getting overpaid and at the same time are so eager to overpay Horford.

Ease of replacability.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, AHF said:

Wait until the last second to make sure no legal developments will impact this.

I agree.   I'm surprised that he has gone this far on a drug charge.

Maybe it lowers his value leaguewide?

So if we keep developing swing players but we don't hold on to them we don't have the chance  of them performing big time for us in their prime. Yet some other teams are so far over the cap it's ludicrous.  

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

So if we keep developing swing players but we don't hold on to them we don't have the chance  of them performing big time for us in their prime. Yet some other teams are so far over the cap it's ludicrous.  

How much better do you think Bazemore is going to get compared to right now?  I'm dubious on him getting that much better.  I think your statement applies more to DMC than Kent.  He was a legit starter and contributed on both ends.  Kent does not.  Now you make a great point in that a lot of good teams are capped out and find ways to keep guys like Kent.

However, they also have superstars so they don't ask for much from a guy like Bazemore so it's not as simple as saying, "Just cap-out to pay him."

More importantly, the good/smart teams focus on the draft in a way that we don't.  That allows them to develop a guy like Bazemore from the time he's 19-21 rather than when he's 25-26 and has a low-ish ceiling.  Plus, by the time the rookie's breaking out, he's only a RFA which makes retaining him easier.  That is our problem IMHO.  We pick up these guys as young vets, build them up then can't afford to keep them.  We're forcing ourselves to be a pseudo-farm system for the NBA.

Excuse my nonsensical ramblings.

What team would pay 15 million for Baze to start, I'm guessing at SG? Not sure he would get 10 even with the exploding cap. His hustle would be nice to keep at some feasible price. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thomas said:

What team would pay 15 million for Baze to start, I'm guessing at SG? Not sure he would get 10 even with the exploding cap. His hustle would be nice to keep at some feasible price. 

You don't think a team like TOR will panic-overpay him if Derozan leaves?  I most certainly think they would.  SAC would.  Why?  'Cause they stupid.  All it takes is 1 idiot team to create a bidding war.  Of the 30 teams, there are about 5-6 that are truly well-run.

He'll have to turn down more money to come back here at a reasonable price.  Do you think he will?  Would you?

KG you  make a strong point on what age these guys are when we start developing them for our system. DMC already had the hustle defense rep when we got him. Truly don't know what Baze can command but if a team becomes desperate probably more money than we will pay. I really like his hustle and with continued improving of his shooting and decreasing the turnovers (needs to happen now) I hope to keep him for the future at SG. The gamble is will he improve at his age like you talked about.

On 5/4/2016 at 11:05 PM, AHF said:

Ease of replacability.

The ease of not understanding the NBA today. Harrison Barnes is a max player these days.  The average starter is a 15 million guy these days.  We gonna have to except that fact 

28 minutes ago, Thomas said:

KG you  make a strong point on what age these guys are when we start developing them for our system. DMC already had the hustle defense rep when we got him. Truly don't know what Baze can command but if a team becomes desperate probably more money than we will pay. I really like his hustle and with continued improving of his shooting and decreasing the turnovers (needs to happen now) I hope to keep him for the future at SG. The gamble is will he improve at his age like you talked about.

You had me at "KG you make a strong point ..."  Ha!  Seriously though, I'd like us to keep Baze for the sake of continuity.  I just don't think he should be a starter and he's gonna get paid starter money.

9 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The ease of not understanding the NBA today. Harrison Barnes is a max player these days.  The average starter is a 15 million guy these days.  We gonna have to except that fact 

I agree, however (as I said above) I don't think Baze should be our starting 2 (or 3 or whatever they call him).

• Moderators

Right now it seems like Baze is a good 6th man.   Which means we have to find 2 starting wings.    I actually think there's options for that but it requires parting with some of our guys.   I'll save that for when the season is officially over. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Right now it seems like Baze is a good 6th man.   Which means we have to find 2 starting wings.    I actually think there's options for that but it requires parting with some of our guys.   I'll save that for when the season is officially over

So we'll hear from you Sunday night? Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Johnnybravo4 said:

Trade Korver and Splitter for Rudy Gay.  Give Howard Horford money and bird right Baze.  

Teague, Baze, Gay, Sap, Howard 

Horford is much better than Howard. They aren't trading Gay for that package.

23 minutes ago, Johnnybravo4 said:

Trade Korver and Splitter for Rudy Gay.  Give Howard Horford money and bird right Baze.  

Teague, Baze, Gay, Sap, Howard 

Seems like Howard belongs on reality tv these days. Diva causing locker room stress. Al has flaws but he does not act like Howard so I think he is a better fit for us.

Howard had 25 rebounds in their last game.  Al couldn't do that in 3 games.   How many possessions do we lose because our rebounding is so weak?  How many times do we get beatby dribble penetration because there's no rim protector to discourage?

Edited by Johnnybravo4

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

How much better do you think Bazemore is going to get compared to right now?  I'm dubious on him getting that much better.  I think your statement applies more to DMC than Kent.  He was a legit starter and contributed on both ends.  Kent does not.  Now you make a great point in that a lot of good teams are capped out and find ways to keep guys like Kent.

However, they also have superstars so they don't ask for much from a guy like Bazemore so it's not as simple as saying, "Just cap-out to pay him."

More importantly, the good/smart teams focus on the draft in a way that we don't.  That allows them to develop a guy like Bazemore from the time he's 19-21 rather than when he's 25-26 and has a low-ish ceiling.  Plus, by the time the rookie's breaking out, he's only a RFA which makes retaining him easier.  That is our problem IMHO.  We pick up these guys as young vets, build them up then can't afford to keep them.  We're forcing ourselves to be a pseudo-farm system for the NBA.

Excuse my nonsensical ramblings.

Baze was 24 when the Hawks got him, he's still 26 and has had 1 offseason working in the offense (remember the 1st year he was injured).

How much better he gets depends on if hes plays SG or SF - better players around him will limit some of the crazy things he gets into because our 'BEST' players are sucking, so he feels he has to do more which is ...bad.  I want Bazemore doing more with less.

DMC was 27 when he got here.  He was a more seasoned player.  

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Pay attention @Thomas - Baze and EVERY other FA will be getting ridiculous money this and next season.  Like @kg01 said, Toronto if the lose DeRozan,  LAL if they can't get DeRozan.  Philly who has capspace, Kings are crazy.  

Think about this: Wesley Matthews coming off a torn achilles got a max deal - the way of the NBA these days.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Think about this: Wesley Matthews coming off a torn achilles got a max deal - the way of the NBA these days.

He actually didn't.  Dallas increased his contract from $57M over 4 years to $70M over 4 years after Jordan blew them off.  Pretty crazy.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/13229891/wesley-matthews-contract-dallas-mavericks-increases-deandre-jordan-reversed-commitment-team