• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking at Deandre Bembry.

Hawkmoor

Hmmmm. 17 ppg 8 boards and 5 assists. Not too bad.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2016/5/24/11759836/2016-nba-mock-draft-deandre-bembry-atlanta-hawks-usa-today

Earlier in the process, we touched on another mock draft that pegged Bembry to land in Atlanta, and it makes a ton of sense. As referenced by Bodner, the big knock on Bembry's game is with his jump shot, but the Hawks have been highly successful in working with similar projects (DeMarre Carroll, Kent Bazemore, etc.) in his regard, and there is a lot to like about Bembry's profile.

It will be very interesting to see if Bembry even falls to the number 21 pick given his recent upward momentum, but Atlanta would be hard-pressed to garner a more NBA-ready player if that is the direction they choose to move in with this pick. To be fair, no one (and I mean, no one) has any idea what the Hawks will actually do at this stage given their previous lack of interest in mid-first round selections, but Bembry is the rare player who could present a combination of safety and upside in this range.

Players like Bembry and Baylor's Taurean Prince will continue to be in the mix for the duration, but it will be intriguing to note which other athletes will find themselves repeatedly tied to the Hawks in the coming days.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

Not bad. He's a do it all wing with enough length to guard two positions. Some 'analyst' compared him to Josh Childress. I had no problem with Chillz as a Hawk except for his horrible jumper. I still think more is needed though. Prince, Embry, and Chriss are all nice players but I'm hoping the Hawks get more out of this Draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

Looks like a decent prospect if he's still available.  He'd definitely need to improve his 3pt numbers under Bud's system but I'm sure he could.

His jumper looks ok to me. 

Edited by Hawkmoor

17 hours ago, hawkman said:

Not bad. He's a do it all wing with enough length to guard two positions. Some 'analyst' compared him to Josh Childress. I had no problem with Chillz as a Hawk except for his horrible jumper. I still think more is needed though. Prince, Embry, and Chriss are all nice players but I'm hoping the Hawks get more out of this Draft.

Just based on that video, Brembry moves way better than Chill.

I realize these are highlight video's but I really like what I'm seeing.  The kid has some good go-to moves.  That step-back jumper is on point.  He makes good use of the glass.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ATLSmith said:

Just based on that video, Brembry moves way better than Chill.

I realize these are highlight video's but I really like what I'm seeing.  The kid has some good go-to moves.  That step-back jumper is on point.  He makes good use of the glass.

Joe Johnson.  Joe didnt have the quickest release either.  I think Bembry can create his own space like Joe did.  Also, you pointed out his use of the glass. Using the glass gives you a HIGHER shot angle.  It creates space. Good observation.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, willthepureshooter said:

He has a slow shot that could get him in trouble against quicker defenders with length.  He won't have that much time to gather and set his feet in the NBA.

He will get PLENTY of time in Bud's system.

1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

He will get PLENTY of time in Bud's system.

Good luck! Thabo was a great example of a slow shooter in Buds system. He was getting has shot blocked in the corners like there was no tomorrow.

1 hour ago, hawkman said:

If Patterson got a shot, Bembry will get a shot. He's like a taller and more talented Patterson.

Patterson doesn't have a shot as of yet. I remember him shooting 20% from 3pt land in the D-League.

2 minutes ago, willthepureshooter said:

Good luck! Thabo was a great example of a slow shooter in Buds system. He was getting has shot blocked in the corners like there was no tomorrow.

Patterson doesn't have a shot as of yet. I remember him shooting 20% from 3pt land in the D-League.

Look, i didnt know anything about this dude until i saw the Hawks are looking at him. Its obvious Bud sees something that he likes, otherwise, he wouldnt be looking at him. I think after the last couple of meaningless drafts that if Bud is looking at him at 23, he must be a keeper.

5 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

His jumper looks ok to me. 

The form is a good base, could probably use a little tweaking but I was referring to his percentages.  27% isn't going to really keep defenses honest.

Joe's form and percentages were much more refined at the college stage so that's not worth comparing.

I could see this guy becoming a Mike Scott type from the perimeter with some work, while performing more scoring on the inside.  He can definitely be taught and be a complete player.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, willthepureshooter said:

I should have worded that differently. Patterson got a chance so I think Bembry would get a chance under Bud. Bembry brings some of the same things Patterson does with better scoring instincts, length, and athleticism. He can also be a good secondary ball handler which is something this team has been lacking for a while.

• Like 1

Patterson's history with us has been pretty weird. He starts off in Turkey getting experience and somewhat getting his weight down. This year he ended up on the court early with us because of vision, decision making and dropping weight though his position was  not defined as to what guard spot he would be used at. Seems obvious he is a SG. Ended up being a third string and NBDL SG with a very broken perimeter shot. Whoever we draft will be bigger and probably a SF but it still puts more pressure on Lamar to even make the roster. Our first rounder wether Bembry or not probably will get a decent amount of important developmental minutes and hopefully more important than that this upcoming season. I think Patterson's minutes will be elsewhere.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/25/2016 at 5:52 PM, Thomas said:

Patterson's history with us has been pretty weird. He starts off in Turkey getting experience and somewhat getting his weight down. This year he ended up on the court early with us because of vision, decision making and dropping weight though his position was  not defined as to what guard spot he would be used at. Seems obvious he is a SG. Ended up being a third string and NBDL SG with a very broken perimeter shot. Whoever we draft will be bigger and probably a SF but it still puts more pressure on Lamar to even make the roster. Our first rounder wether Bembry or not probably will get a decent amount of important developmental minutes and hopefully more important than that this upcoming season. I think Patterson's minutes will be elsewhere.  

Patterson is the most likely backup PG at this point. Like I suggest last year it would probably be his role in the future.