• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Was Dominique Enough?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was listening to the radio the other day.  The conversation floated about OKC and Durant and teams that are small market teams without a championship history.   Somebody on the broadcast stated that Atlanta hasn't won a championship in the modern era but they have had great players like Dominique Wilkins who made the fanbase happy and was a good substitute for not having a championship. 

I thought about that.  I too enjoyed Dominique.  I am glad that he has a statue outside of the arena no the street named in his honor.  However... Was Dominique enough for us??  IF we don't win a championship (and over half the teams in the league haven't).. would us having a guy like Dominique... every 30 years or so be enough for this fanbase?

Secondly...  How would we react to winning a championship?  Would we be as rabid for the next 15 years as GS fans are going to be or as Cleveland fans are going to be?

16 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I was listening to the radio the other day.  The conversation floated about OKC and Durant and teams that are small market teams without a championship history.   Somebody on the broadcast stated that Atlanta hasn't won a championship in the modern era but they have had great players like Dominique Wilkins who made the fanbase happy and was a good substitute for not having a championship. 

I thought about that.  I too enjoyed Dominique.  I am glad that he has a statue outside of the arena no the street named in his honor.  However... Was Dominique enough for us??  IF we don't win a championship (and over half the teams in the league haven't).. would us having a guy like Dominique... every 30 years or so be enough for this fanbase?

Secondly...  How would we react to winning a championship?  Would we be as rabid for the next 15 years as GS fans are going to be or as Cleveland fans are going to be?

Of course Dominique is not enough. Fans and the franchise will always want more. Teams like Boston, Lakers, Chicago, every season they want one more....Dominique is a great part of our Hawks legacy, but we will and should always want more!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Of course Dominique is not enough. Fans and the franchise will always want more. Teams like Boston, Lakers, Chicago, every season they want one more....Dominique is a great part of our Hawks legacy, but we will and should always want more!

I think the farther out we get from Dominique, the more we hunger.   However, while he was here, I think we were happy to be in the conversation and he did carry the franchise on his back.

For instance, IF Lebron had not won a championship for Cleveland but stayed in Cleveland and kept them in the championship conversation, do you think that Cleveland would have been more hungry or would they have been happy to be in the conversation??

While the city was happy to have those 50-win seasons, OF COURSE we wanted more than that. No one here was the least bit happy watching Boston, Detroit, and later, the Bulls and Knicks go to the Finals while our team was planning vacation cruises during the Nique days. Just the same as us Braves fans got tired of watching (insert NL team here) celebrate on the mound and toss champagne around Turner Field every October when the team used to be good. It's a step by step process of expectations. We've seen star players, All-Stars, 50-win seasons, second round appearances, division titles, hell, even an ECF appearance. The next step for this team is to go where no other Atlanta Hawk team has gone before and that's playing basketball in June...

Edited by Dejay

4 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

When GS and Cleveland suck again the fans will disappear.  

I hope it's sooner than later. Can't stand either franchise as they rank 28th and 29th fav in NBA for me. I don't have to tell you who is 30?..:-|

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

I think the farther out we get from Dominique, the more we hunger.   However, while he was here, I think we were happy to be in the conversation and he did carry the franchise on his back.

For instance, IF Lebron had not won a championship for Cleveland but stayed in Cleveland and kept them in the championship conversation, do you think that Cleveland would have been more hungry or would they have been happy to be in the conversation??

Not enough, if Cavs had not won this one, this coming season it would be the same talk about how long its been since Cleveland had a championship team. If Bron had never brought them one, he would be appreciated just as Dominique is here; but we still want the championship.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I hope it's sooner than later. Can't stand either franchise as they rank 28th and 29th fav in NBA for me. I don't have to tell you who is 30?..:-|

I cant stand NY, NJ, Chicago, Both LA teams, Boston, Miami, and Cleveland!   I like GS.  

21 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

I cant stand NY, NJ, Chicago, Both LA teams, Boston, Miami, and Cleveland!   I like GS.  

I agree with all except the end lol