• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks free practice (Oct 1)

thecampster

• Premium Member

Agree with whoever wrote that... and yeah, I didn't mention Prince earlier, but he was around the ball a lot. We need him, imo, to be just that--a stat sheet filler.

D8 got 15? Hmm. I didn't see the beginning so maybe he got more of it before I tuned in... otherwise, mighty quiet 15.

Free throws... his form is so stiff. If I were a coach, I'd want him to start practicing shooting them with one hand, and emphasizing the backspin he puts on the ball as it's released... with his eyes closed. It's all about muscle memory. But of course, no one's hired me yet, so what do I know.

• Like 1

From what I saw today, Bazemore and Hardaway look ready.  Dwight will be a monster on the boards for us this season.  He still can't hit a free throw.  Look forward to a lot of hack-a-Howard this season.  The rookies simply looked like rookies to me.  None really stood out but if I were to pick one it would be Delaney.  Delaney had Bynum flustered at one point with his D.  Mike Scott was the invisible man and Edy makes Dwight look like a midget.  That guy is huge.  Dwight will bring the best out of Edy this year.  Ryan Kelly looked better than I thought he would.  He could get his shot off.  Nice crowd also for a open practice.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Jeffery123 said:

From what I saw today, Bazemore and Hardaway look ready.  Dwight will be a monster on the boards for us this season.  He still can't hit a free throw.  Look forward to a lot of hack-a-Howard this season.  The rookies simply looked like rookies to me.  None really stood out but if I were to pick one it would be Delaney.  Delaney had Bynum flustered at one point with his D.  Mike Scott was the invisible man and Edy makes Dwight look like a midget.  That guy is huge.  Dwight will bring the best out of Edy this year.  Ryan Kelly looked better than I thought he would.  He could get his shot off.  Nice crowd also for a open practice.  

2016-10-01_0953.png

• Like 1

We decided to go....my observations as follows:

1. Bazemore and Hardaway looked locked in.

2. Moose was the surprise for me - he looked solid and didn't fall once.

3. Kyle was kyle

4. Dwight seemed unsure in first 10 minutes, the second 10 he settled in a bit more. Was more aggressive. Still can't hit freethrows 1-5 (I think).  He had a nice bank shot off the glass. Edy broke up a couple lob passes to him. Edy is huge.

5. Delaney ran point OK, Bynum had good on ball defense didn’t seem to bother him. Has a good pull up jumper and floater.

6. The Rookies - Prince was all over, straight hustle. He got to the basket easily putting the ball on the floor. Bembry is smooth, good defender, nice handle and passing. His game is effortless.

Hubby got a new hoody to add to the collection.

2016-10-01 16.31.14.jpg

6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Who gets cut when it is time?  Scott, moose or Edy?

The easiest answere is Moose and his not fully guaranteed contract.

However, depending on Millsap's and Tiago's health and readiness - none. (Tiago was doing sprints on the baseline to stay warm during game - he played limited minutes).

I'll echo what I've said before Jarrett Jack might be the odd man out if Millsap and Tiago are in anyway limited.

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Is Edy looking NBA ready at all?  He has size but his offensive game looks bad

To me he isn't.  I feel like he hasn't progressed as much as I had hoped during the past couple years. It might be a do or die season for him, not just with us but anyone.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

To me he isn't.  I feel like he hasn't progressed as much as I had hoped during the past couple years. It might be a do or die season for him, not just with us but anyone.

That's what I am afraid of ... Just another really tall guy at the end of the bench ... Moose is a better player then him but Edy has more potential

• Premium Member

Hmm. I don't see it that way at all. Edy still has ample room for improvement, but there's no concern now that when he's on the court that he might be overmatched. I see him more than ever before as having the potential capacity to justify a roster slot in the long-term merely on defense and rebounding alone.  But/and... still... he truly has a soft stroke that suggests strongly that there's some offensive game to come. As indicated in another post earlier today, it struck me as I was watching him compete against D8 today that battling it out with the big guy this year is likely to accelerate  his progress like never before.

And about 24 hours after having JBH's idea first introduced to me, I really think she's onto something with this idea that Jack's roster slot is quite possibly the most vulnerable right now... and it will only get worse if Bembry shows in preseason that he's a very realistic 3rd PG option.

• Like 1

Bembry was a lot of fun to watch and it looks like he truly could play one through three with some time on his side. Looked like his hands were a foot above the rim on a fast break jam he had. Pretty sure he is going to end up very valuable for us. 

• Moderators
  • I thought Edy looked really good and definitely NBA ready.   He's never lost.  If anything they could feed him the ball more.  
  • Dwight showed some really nice post moves.   He's going to be huge for us.
  • Dwight's free throws are awful.  I mean what's with the extreme back spin.    I can't believe any shooting coach is supporting this technique
  • I thought Delaney's D was good
  • Moose looked good.   Somewhat too good to cut.   Much better than that guy from the lakers.  He's a goner
  • Splitter's hands continue to be horrible.   He fumbles every pass that comes his way.   He made some nice plays but i'd be ok with trading him and rolling with.....
  • Humphries is a friggin rebound machine.   I mean he grabbed about everything and played like it was a real game despite looking like someone's dad in a full gray sweatsuit.
  • Hardaway!!!   He played great.   Shot great, handled the ball, got to the hole.   The guy will be better than Baze I think.
  • Will Bynum?  It's nice to have that energy.   Eventually he got wild but no one but Delaney could really stay with him.  Seems like he should be in the NBA
  • Kyle, Baze looked like themselves pretty much
  • The rookies had energy.   Prince was pressing pretty hard and took some bad shots.   Bembry looked comfortable

I have no idea who will be gone.  I thinking there is a trade unless we work it out injury wise.   Scott didn't do a lot in this game.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

have no idea who will be gone.  I thinking there is a trade unless we work it out injury wise.   Scott didn't do a lot in this game.   

@macdaddy If there was a trade available...who do we trade and to what team.

I agree that Moose looked really good - I've already said trade him to Brooklyn for a 2nd round pick.

How about Splitter, where can we send him?  I'd propose to SacTown for Kosta Koufus, salaryies match but I think we'd have to add a lil sweetner.

Mike Scott? 

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Hardaway!!!   He played great.   Shot great, handled the ball, got to the hole.   The guy will be better than Baze I think.

Hope thats what we get this year from him in the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@macdaddy If there was a trade available...who do we trade and to what team.

I agree that Moose looked really good - I've already said trade him to Brooklyn for a 2nd round pick.

How about Splitter, where can we send him?  I'd propose to SacTown for Kosta Koufus, salaryies match but I think we'd have to add a lil sweetner.

Mike Scott? 

I suppose trading Moose is the best option.   To me Edy could become a force and you have to keep him.     I like the idea of Hump and Splitter backing up the frontcourt but man if i have to watch a whole season of balls bouncing off Splitter's hands i'll freak out.   That said he does a lot of other things well.   And I'm a big Mike Scott fan so this is why i'm so puzzled.   Honestly I think Thabo might be an option to trade.   That would be risky though. 

Still we have to get rid of one guy which is probably the Moose trade for a 2nd rounder but then we need to do something so we can sign Bynum  given that Jack and Dennis are out.   We don't want to start the season with Delaney starting and Bynum has NBA experience.     Maybe we can sign him to 10 days until Scott's trial plays out?

15 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I suppose trading Moose is the best option.   To me Edy could become a force and you have to keep him.     I like the idea of Hump and Splitter backing up the frontcourt but man if i have to watch a whole season of balls bouncing off Splitter's hands i'll freak out.   That said he does a lot of other things well.   And I'm a big Mike Scott fan so this is why i'm so puzzled.   Honestly I think Thabo might be an option to trade.   That would be risky though. 

Still we have to get rid of one guy which is probably the Moose trade for a 2nd rounder but then we need to do something so we can sign Bynum  given that Jack and Dennis are out.   We don't want to start the season with Delaney starting and Bynum has NBA experience.     Maybe we can sign him to 10 days until Scott's trial plays out?

I don't think 10 day contracts are allowed as yet.

I think Dennis will be ready for the season.

We'd have to waive Jack also to sign Bynum.

I would hate to trade Thabo until we see how Prince progresses. What can we get for Thabo though that's worth more than his value on the court. 

Yeah, Thabo is our perimeter defensive mentor the way Kyle is as at three point shooting and moving through screens on offense. He was able to quite down J.R. Smith when he was absolutely scorching us so his defense on the floor still counts.