• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cuts(Final Roster)

sillent

13 hours ago, sturt said:

Speaking from his perspective of course.

But, too, how many times do we get to March and April and see that a player turned out to have a strong year in spite of a weak October and/or November? Just hate the thought that we rid our roster of someone who ends up excelling for an opponent, and especially if we paid a premium price and they got him off our discount rack.

Tim's horrible shooting is just the icing on the cake for me. If that was the only issue I saw/see he might get a pass. It's the body language, the lackluster defense and the horrible attempts to get back on defense after he turns the ball over.

We have recently constructed a hard nose, defensive minded team full of Heart. Try to discount Dwight all you want but name a player that's punkin him or dominating him on the court. Point is no matter how good Tim does this next season(especially on offense) he doesn't fit our current mold. We have such a full training camp roster so guys can stay on their toes and compete but it also exposes weaker breeds. Kyle Korver wasn't the best defender coming our way but even during his shooting slump his defensive effort and rebounding stayed competitive. Mike Scott has more history with us and has always been an underrated rebounder and every year has improved his defense to atleast commendable. One down with Matt Costello. Although I was a fan of Will Bynum I believe he will be going thru the Shelvin Mack Dilemma on this team. Magette is just a filler. Tavares has too much size and potential to give up on especially with D8 the dominater as his  mentor. I honestly wasn't ever a fan of Splitter and although he's a good guy seems unable to stay on the court for even half a season. Khris Humphries is still a major asset and could backup C/PF. Thabo seems to have found his shot which would be a major plus including his defense and athleticism. I would package Splitter and THj for a sleeper that can score off the bench or if necessary just cut them. They just seem to be the odd men out. Ryan Kelly can be serviceable (but not necessary) but I would keep him compared to the 2 above and we seem to high on Muscala to let him go. Mike Scott because of legal issues might be part of that tough decision but if it were up to me he is too much of a spark plug and game changer to let him go. He's hit more big shots and changed the momentum of our games more than any of our bench players (& some starters) in the last few years.  

Edited by sillent
  • Like 1

Starters

Dennis

Baze

Prince

Sap

D8

Don't look bad at all and neither does a bench of

Delaney/Jack/Bembry

Korver/Bembry

Thabo/Bembry/Scott

Scott/Muscala/Humphries

Humphries/Muscala/Tavares

Still a very deep team with less log jam for minutes and still could still be adjusted based on matchups and who's hot game to game. Prince may come off the bench originally but I have a great feeling he will be starting alot sooner than later. THj would only be useful if his shot is on and Splitter can stay injured on someone else's bench. Splitter isn't a major upgrade over any of our bigs we currently have. He gets more credit coming from the Spurs but take that away and he would be 3rd tier on alot of benches.

• Like 1

Yeah, right now for me Splitter would be the odd man out. He lacks the health mainly, but even when healthy last year he appeared unathletic, a little clumsy, and failed to go strong to the rim in favor of circus layups. I like the size of Edy and the athleticism and floor stretching of Hump and Moose way more than any "vet savvy" that Splitter may or may not have.   Edy has shown that he isn't a liability and Muscala is playing for a real contract thus is giving maximum effort unlike last season where he looked happy just to be a cheerleader and travel with the team. Humphries also can give us minutes and muscle at center.

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 hours ago, hazer said:
6 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yeah, right now for me Splitter would be the odd man out. He lacks the health mainly, but even when healthy last year he appeared unathletic, a little clumsy, and failed to go strong to the rim in favor of circus layups. I like the size of Edy and the athleticism and floor stretching of Hump and Moose way more than any "vet savvy" that Splitter may or may not have.   Edy has shown that he isn't a liability and Muscala is playing for a real contract thus is giving maximum effort unlike last season where he looked happy just to be a cheerleader and travel with the team. Humphries also can give us minutes and muscle at center.

I agree with this but i will say that Splitter plays pretty solid D against bigs.   Much better than Moose can do.   Hump is a good replacement but while i like his physical style, he fouls more than Splitter.  

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I agree with this but i will say that Splitter plays pretty solid D against bigs.   Much better than Moose can do.   Hump is a good replacement but while i like his physical style, he fouls more than Splitter.  

All this is true.  For Splitter it is all about health which is hard to predict.  I expect bud will be extra reluctant to cut Splitter based on their history with the Spurs.

• Like 2

On a loosely-related note, y'all see the Hunter kid is a likely cut in BOS?  D-league assignment at best in year 2.

I just want folks to stop talking about the guy as if he's some hidden gem we missed out on.  Put him in the category with Mar$chwag Brooks, Chris Copeland and all the other non-Hawks folks are always clamoring for.  Oh, by the way, Copeland was cut like 2 weeks ago.

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We need a Squawk 'pole' for who we think will get cut.

Nominees:

Jack

THJr

Scott

Muscala

Splitter

Tavares

Done.  Make us proud and do your civic duty by casting your vote.

• Like 1

I honestly don't want to cut anyone. I feel each of those guys brings something special, or at least the potential of something special to the table. Tough decisions for Bud.

44 minutes ago, pimp said:

I'd take Scott over Moose.
We need some offense off the bench , and Scott is more offensively diverse than Moose , and he actually has a decent post game.
Also, I think last years playoff proved that Moose shouldn't be playing over Hump either , so  If we cut him, it prevents Bud from making that mistake again.:MooseGoggles:

I love Musky's hard work and effort but I agree, if it came down to those two I'd keep Scott. I just love the offensive energy he provides when we go on those 10-2 , 14-4 type runs.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, pimp said:

Also, I think last years playoff proved that Moose shouldn't be playing over Hump either , so  If we cut him, it prevents Bud from making that mistake again.:MooseGoggles:

That was one of the most headscratching moves of Bud's tenure in Atlanta.  Moose doing nothing; Humph killing it when he played.  Moose getting more minutes.  

:head_wall:

• Like 4

Guess I'm in the minority of Muscala over Scott. Scott has legal troubles, already 28,  and wants to be a d-boy, etc. Considering how injury prone Splitter is and foul/injury prone Dwight can be... MM provides depth at the 5.

So I probably cut Scott, Maggette, and Bynum. Edy I hold onto until I figure out what his actual ceiling is. If Scott sticks, he along with Hardaway and Edy are top trader fodder. 

Referring to Edy , don't want to develop him for three and a half years and then trade him at the deadline and certainly not going to cut him now. Hindsight would have us regretting it a couple of years from now when he averages two or more blocked shots a game. Seems like he could live off alley oops alone on offense but add in his soft touch and there is a future for him. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Referring to Edy , don't want to develop him for three and a half years and then trade him at the deadline and certainly not going to cut him now. Hindsight would have us regretting it a couple of years from now when he averages two or more blocked shots a game. Seems like he could live off alley oops alone on offense but add in his soft touch and there is a future for him. 

This is what i don't understand.   Seems like that alley oop is there 90% of the time for an easy bucket.     I understand they want to run the offense but take those easy ones everytime.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Kimsey said:

Guess I'm in the minority of Muscala over Scott. Scott has legal troubles, already 28,  and wants to be a d-boy, etc. Considering how injury prone Splitter is and foul/injury prone Dwight can be... MM provides depth at the 5.

So I probably cut Scott, Maggette, and Bynum. Edy I hold onto until I figure out what his actual ceiling is. If Scott sticks, he along with Hardaway and Edy are top trader fodder. 

I agree with everything you said there but I think Scott is just more explosive and more talented.    I'm fearful that for our bench we will choose marginally talented guys who work really hard and are in the right place over guys who could get really hot and win us a playoff game.      Although Moose does have one of those games to his credit.   We lost the game but he about got us there. 

I look it at this way.   Were it not for Scott's possible suspension we wouldn't even be having this discussion i don't think.    But the way that case has gone so far a suspension is in no way a likely outcome.  Maybe the Hawks know more and if he's going to trial and likely convicted then I say we definitely go with Moose.   Otherwise I'm not sure.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Were it not for Scott's possible suspension we wouldn't even be having this discussion i don't think.  

Yeah, most likely. Scott has shown  a lot of hot streaks that made a difference and his jumper is a known quality for us.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2016 at 10:50 AM, sturt said:

Speaking from his perspective of course.

But, too, how many times do we get to March and April and see that a player turned out to have a strong year in spite of a weak October and/or November? Just hate the thought that we rid our roster of someone who ends up excelling for an opponent, and especially if we paid a premium price and they got him off our discount rack.

I'll admit when I'm wrong & I believe you're right sturt

• Like 1