• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And here we go with Philips Arena...

Dejay

8 minutes ago, timebomb said:

Very rarely post.. actually only once before. As an Atlanta resident and huge Hawks fan not a rich one(middle class). F!ck this! Philips is fine for me.

Using tax payer money to boost this city up I'm for. Using tax payer money to make rich people sit more luxuriously is gross. 

Actually you are very wrong about this because the only funds that this renovation is rental car taxes and half of the Braves money when they move up to Cobb, so there is no taxpayers money.

Now if you want to complain about that then I suggest that you look into the arenas in Milwaukee, Sacramento and Las Vegas, now they are getting raked across the coals for that.

Plus no team or city wants to end up like Seattle when the Sonics left and they are fighting right now for a decent arena that might even keep them out of expansion. 

• Like 1

Oh and the indoor fireworks... F'ing priceless. That's how dumb they think Hawks fans are. They clearly have no idea how this money will be spent. 

They just know it'll be on things for the luxury boxes you won't see. It's stealing from the taxes to give to the already rich.

@timebombThat is just a rendering man, I do this for a living (or starting to) and there is no way they will be putting in fireworks inside.  But just enjoyed having the Hawks staying in Atlanta because living in Washington, those guys has been waiting for almost 10 years for a team to return but they continue to have roadblocks (most of them by the city council and mayor) and just last week, Chris Hanson want to take the arena project private (pay for everything including expansion if they have it) and that might be voted down as well.  Just be thanking for what you have right now because we can be like them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Actually you are very wrong about this because the only funds that this renovation is rental car taxes and half of the Braves money when they move up to Cobb, so there is no taxpayers money.

Now if you want to complain about that then I suggest that you look into the arenas in Milwaukee, Sacramento and Las Vegas, now they are getting raked across the coals for that.

Plus no team or city wants to end up like Seattle when the Sonics left and they are fighting right now for a decent arena that might even keep them out of expansion. 

We have a decent arena all ready though. I've gone to it frequently  many times. It's actually very easy to get in and out of. There are many things to do near by, if you don't know the city you  can use yelp or whatever.  This is a money grab from people who are acting like they care about you.

1 minute ago, timebomb said:

We have a decent arena all ready though. I've gone to it frequently  many times. It's actually very easy to get in and out of. There are many things to do near by, if you don't know the city you  can use yelp or whatever.  This is a money grab from people who are acting like they care about you.

I know that many people feel that way but at the same time, it need some improvements for time to time.  Like I say earlier that nobody wants to be like Seattle (check out Sonicsgate when you have a chance and you will get a better understand why city has to do it)

22 minutes ago, timebomb said:

Decent that can do with an upgrade.

Love the idea of opening up the concourse to the court, so that when i get up to get food I can still see the court and hear the fans.

And we definitely need some Volt seats.

51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Decent that can do with an upgrade.

Love the idea of opening up the concourse to the court, so that when i get up to get food I can still see the court and hear the fans.

And we definitely need some Volt seats.

If I don't come to a game in 18-19 for the first time ever, I'm a moron. It would be 33 years of fanhood by then lol. 

Aye man I think you're a little to up in arms about this. Volt seats are a color scheme. Has nothing to do with where the seats are. Are you ok?

• Like 2

Hello, fellow human followers of the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club. These renovations to Phillips Arena sound amazing! I hope they let us loyal fans of the Atlanta Hawks Basketball Club do our part by paying more for tickets, food, and merchandise. Beep boop.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jy23 said:

Aye man I think you're a little to up in arms about this. Volt seats are a color scheme. Has nothing to do with where the seats are. Are you ok?

Yeah it's ok. Go hawks! My words aren't going to change anything. I think we have a top four team in the east. Designed for a chance in the playoffs. And believe it or not I think we'll have three Allstars in Dwight, Millsaps and Shorder.

Doesn't mean money from tax payers should go to a company that apparently make enough money to pay it's player's 25 million a year but charges normal people so much they can't take their families to the games.  I'm the bad guy, idiot and you're the enlightened one. 

10 hours ago, timebomb said:

Wtf does "volt" seats mean? Philips arean is straight up scary steep, in a good way. NO bad seats in the house.  Are there any real Hawks fans on this board? Wtf! Or is this all robots?

mmmmmmmmm.....I'm not even sure how to respond to this.

alanrickman4gif

Edit:

Actually, what's hilarious is you calling out 'real Hawks fans on this board' and being clueless on wtf 'volt' is.

9 hours ago, timebomb said:

Doesn't mean money from tax payers should go to a company that apparently make enough money to pay it's player's 25 million a year but charges normal people so much they can't take their families to the games.  I'm the bad guy, idiot and you're the enlightened one. 

...........aaaand IIRC Philips is owned by They City of Atlanta not the Atlanta Hawks (hence why they lease it).  So it behoves the city to renovate something they own so their biggest tenant can stick around.  (If I'm wrong about the ownership of the arena my apologies).

I think it's pretty awesome that Phillips is getting a makeover.  I especially like the exterior windows.  Always been a fan of stadiums/arenas with this design.

I'm not sure they need even more box seats though.  Those always seem largely empty when I attend games, except for the playoffs.

• Like 1

• Moderators

So many hilarious posts in this thread.   

Being an old guy I was a big fan of the Omni.  At least the design and I've always hated Philips for many, many reasons that I won't reiterate here.   A renovation is needed but we have to expect that it will tilt to adding more boxes and luxury experiences rather than drastically improving the casual fan experience.   Hopefully i'm wrong as making Philips a place that fills seats for the casual fan will make those luxury experiences easier for them to sell.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

So many hilarious posts in this thread.   

Being an old guy I was a big fan of the Omni...   

That building was one of my early inspirations into stadium/arena architecture and why I'm so interested in it many years later. They could've done so much more to that place instead of letting it go to pot. I guess the city learned its lesson with that and would rather invest what they're doing now instead of hundreds of millions more to keep them from moving to the suburbs or worse...

• Like 2