• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How much of this is Coaching?

Diesel

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

I'm still a Bud believer as well. I do think we should get a GM though and let Bud focus on coaching alone. Too much on his plate. That and the fact that he has to coach Moose and Delaney. Lol.

:Bud: "Heh, coachin' them two bums would drive any o' y'all b*tches to drank. *burp*"

The Delaney/Musc experiment is over.  Go get *gulp* Mario Chalmers if Jack's still not ready.  Let Scott play backup foe.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Raps and Hornets this weekend.   It's going to get worse before it gets better. 

3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Raps 123

Hawks 87

(not joking)

We are so doomt this weekend.  We're about to play 2 teams that have our nimber as it is.  On top of that, they're teams who play with effort all game while we have a tendency to check out at the first sign of adversity.

It gon' be uglee.

ETA: I'll be selling Hawk-brand kleenex on cryonmyshoulder.org

Edited by kg01

• Moderators

:beathorse:'ing, but here are some quotes, straight from the beaten horses' mouths:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/1816705-155/snyder-jazz-atlanta-quin-coach-former

(2014) Dennis Schröder was at home in Germany when he got a phone call that put a damper on his summer vacation. His assistant coach, Quin Snyder, had just been named the head coach of the Utah Jazz.

"I was mad," said Schröder, the Atlanta Hawks point guard.

Every day for a year, Snyder worked with the promising 21-year-old — on his footwork, on his ball-handling, on his shooting — and Schröder had grown attached.

"That was my guy," he said Wednesday with Snyder and the Jazz in town to face the Hawks. "Every day we worked on different stuff. He told me to be patient, your time will come. He was an important guy to me."

Forward DeMarre Carroll, who spent a season and a half with the Jazz, credited Snyder with helping him elevate his game and perform as an NBA starter for the first time.

"After you've spent a certain amount of time with anything, it's easy to kind of get pigeonholed into a certain way of thinking, and Quin just brought a whole new way of basketball thought for me," Korver said.

Snyder, who had spent the previous year coaching in Russia, brought back with him a European flavor, Korver said, and added creativity.

"As the assistant, he got to even be more extreme," he said, breaking into an impression of his former coach. " 'What if we did the back screen into the dribble hand off into the pin-down?' He'd come up with this wild stuff. A lot of it, as a player, just helps you think about possibilities and gets you excited. … A lot of his stuff is brand new, and it's fresh and it's exciting. It's fun to play. It just makes you want to work harder."

Korver added, "It was always fun when you walk in and you know he's on his sixth cup of coffee that morning and he's got all these thoughts."

"Just sitting there, having conversations, he makes you think," Millsap said before chuckling to himself. "A lot of stuff he said, I didn't get until later on in the day. That's how smart he is."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/17984/hawks-players-detail-why-nets-hire-of-kenny-atkinson-is-a-slam-dunk

(2016) “My guy!” Teague said when asked about Atkinson after Hawks practice on Monday. “That is the best news you guys gave me today ... I have been with him for a while now and all the work he does with me personally, the late nights, the early mornings, to get an opportunity to be a head coach, he deserves it.

“[He’s] a worker, he is someone who knows the game inside and out,” Teague continued. “Someone that loves the game. He really loves basketball. He is always in the gym, first one here every day. He wants to win. He is going to bring a different culture to Brooklyn. They are lucky to get a guy like him.”

“And his workouts, a lot of ball-handling stuff, a lot of pick-and-roll stuff, which is what you need to survive in this league,” Bazemore continued. “If you can’t run pick and roll as a wing it is going to be tough for you. He has one of the most integral parts of the offense, pick and roll, down to a T.”

“He has been awesome for us here in Atlanta,” Korver said of Atkinson, a former Knicks assistant who is from New York. “I think our player development has been second to none the last four years. I think it has been amazing watching guys develop and grow and Kenny leads that.

2014 assistants: We replaced Quin with Lee, Spahija, and Sullivan, moved Jim Thomas to the front office, and bumped Kenny up to the lead chair.

2016 assistants: We moved Darvin to the lead chair, and replaced Kenny with air.

~lw3

• Like 3

• Moderators

I didn't mean to exempt Wharton grad (can you tell I'm not high on Wharton grads lately? Hope it's not obvious) and Spurs Guy Taylor Jenkins in my earlier diatribe. Pre-Hawks, his pro-coaching peak came in the D-League, when he helped lead the Austin Toros to the title... as an assistant.

~lw3

3 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

:beathorse:'ing, but here are some quotes, straight from the beaten horses' mouths:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/17984/hawks-players-detail-why-nets-hire-of-kenny-atkinson-is-a-slam-dunk

2014 assistants: We replaced Quin with Lee, Spahija, and Sullivan, moved Jim Thomas to the front office, and bumped Kenny up to the lead chair.

2016 assistants: We moved Darvin to the lead chair, and replaced Kenny with air.

~lw3

You are really over doing it now @lethalweapon3 . Preach sir, preach.

That makes me sad.

• Moderators

I do think those coaches are important but this is the nature of the business.   Not to bring up an old fight but Ferry added talent and so far there's been a net loss of talent under Bud.   A lot of people in the NBA including most at OKC thought Thabo's days as a starter in this league were over.   Now he's by far our best wing and we're begging for him to be in the starting lineup.   

Not a full list but significant ones:

Ferry brought in Sap, DMC, Thabo, Kyle and oh yeah - Baze too, lol.

Bud brought in Hump, Splitter and Dwight (as far a free agents/trades go)

(In fairness Ferry's tenure was longer than Bud's)

Think this last draft by Budcox will pay off big and if minutes were given as they are earned we would be seeing more growth from Bembry and Prince by now. Cordinier may really pay off in the future as well. Anyway think that Bud is capable in both avenues and we have some proof of that, just not nearly as much as we want no doubt.

12 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

~lw3

There should be a rule that you can only hire an assistant from each team like once every 3 years. Either that or give the team some compensation like a draft pick or something. I loved Kenny first then Snyder. 

5 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

There should be a rule that you can only hire an assistant from each team like once every 3 years. Either that or give the team some compensation like a draft pick or something. I loved Kenny first then Snyder. 

Yeah...there should be a rule that assistants can't take promotions. Good luck with that.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 7:15 AM, Diesel said:

Did Losing Kenny Atkinson lose our edge?  Now our spacing is bad and our defense is attrocious.

No. I just think it's a talent issue. When your best talent are in their 30s and you're not in the top 4 in the East, that's a problem.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

No. I just think it's a talent issue. When your best talent are in their 30s and you're not in the top 4 in the East, that's a problem.

What??

There's not talent issue. I would put it on coaching before talent.  We have guys who have to be connected in a very careful manner and we have to have experienced coaches who know how to do that.  Last time I looked, Darvin Ham doesn't have the experience of an Atkinson or a Snyder.  Moreover, he probably don't have the players trust either.  But he's second in command. 

Bud's shown a bit of schizophrenia here with before the last few games refusing to adjust the lineup to our detriment and then defy all logic this week by playing Sap almost forty minutes at center a couple of games in a row. So maybe now Bud has loosened up a good bit no matter the injury circumstances.