• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you max out Millsap if Baze was traded for cap space?

BigDog90

Last summer, Millsap was dangled to teams in order to afford Horford and Dwight. However, Horford decided he didn't want to stick around. So this summer, ATL can actually afford to pay Millsap the money by softening the cap hit by trading Baze for cap space. I'm sure a team like PHI and Brooklyn could afford to absorb his deal. 

ATL would have like 20 mil in cap space after trading Baze and resigning Millsap. 

1 minute ago, BigDog90 said:

Last summer, Millsap was dangled to teams in order to afford Horford and Dwight. However, Horford decided he didn't want to stick around. So this summer, ATL can actually afford to pay Millsap the money by softening the cap hit by trading Baze for cap space. I'm sure a team like PHI and Brooklyn could afford to absorb his deal. 

ATL would have like 20 mil in cap space after trading Baze and resigning Millsap. 

It would depend on how the rest of this season plays out and if the Hawks can acquire a guard that can produce 13-15 PPG with some slashing ability and some defense.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It would depend on how the rest of this season plays out and if the Hawks can acquire a guard that can produce 13-15 PPG with some slashing ability and some defense.

Considering the new price tags, that's a 18 to 20 mil per player. Bazemore value isn't that cheap but it's not really that high. His salary is what a decent player cost. 

17 minutes ago, BigDog90 said:

Yes, I'd be ok moving Baze for capspace. (See my trade idea to Brooklyn for Booker and Foye, both expiring).

Are you talking a full 5 year max? Whew

32 years - $35 mil

33 years - $37.8 mil

34 years - $40.8 mil

35 years - $43.2 mil

36 years - $46.6 mil

Those numbers make my eyes bleed. Seeing it in black n white it's mind numbing. That’s LBJ money. WOW!!!

How about a declining scale structure? How about a middle ground between his player option of $21 mil and his caphold of $30 mil, Start at $25 mil?

Like @Hotlanta1981 said depends on our play, first over the next 7 games which gets us to 41 games, halfway. Then another 15 games before the trade deadline.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Considering the new price tags, that's a 18 to 20 mil per player. Bazemore value isn't that cheap but it's not really that high. His salary is what a decent player cost. 

Baze is a typical MLE player. The blasted cap spike allowed the free for all spending (get it while it's hot)

. Even though the cap is going up next season, the jump won't be as high as this past offseason. I think you'll see the role player mumbers get back into the MLE range, its $8 mil from next year.

The cap last year was $70 mil, jumped to $94 mil, that's  $24 mil so lots of teams had capspace to bid on players. Next year the cap is projected at $102 mil, difference of only $8 mil.

21 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Baze is a typical MLE player. The blasted cap spike allowed the free for all spending (get it while it's hot)

. Even though the cap is going up next season, the jump won't be as high as this past offseason. I think you'll see the role player mumbers get back into the MLE range, its $8 mil from next year.

The cap last year was $70 mil, jumped to $94 mil, that's  $24 mil so lots of teams had capspace to bid on players. Next year the cap is projected at $102 mil, difference of only $8 mil.

He's worth more than a MLE player. Guys with worse stats was getting paid this summer as much or more. 

Allen Crabbe

Tyler Johnson

Solo Hill

Jon Leur

and a number of others. 

It seems like even Jared Dudley got 9 mil per. That's higher than the new MLE. As much as we hate Baze's salary, it was well deserve from what his production was last year. I just didn't like it or want it and I wasn't big on him or his impact. But I cannot deny the numbers. 

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Would have to be through trade or the draft since '17 FA SG market looks weak.

http://hoopshype.com/2016/11/01/nba-free-agency-2017-shooting-guards/

Edited by BigDog90

55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yes, I'd be ok moving Baze for capspace. (See my trade idea to Brooklyn for Booker and Foye, both expiring).

Are you talking a full 5 year max? Whew

32 years - $35 mil

33 years - $37.8 mil

34 years - $40.8 mil

35 years - $43.2 mil

36 years - $46.6 mil

Those numbers make my eyes bleed. Seeing it in black n white it's mind numbing. That’s LBJ money. WOW!!!

How about a declining scale structure? How about a middle ground between his player option of $21 mil and his caphold of $30 mil, Start at $25 mil?

Like @Hotlanta1981 said depends on our play, first over the next 7 games which gets us to 41 games, halfway. Then another 15 games before the trade deadline.

Millsap seems like a guy all about his money. That would make sense but teams like Boston ("contender" with enough $$$ to give him the max) and Brooklyn (can also offer him the max) so ATL may not have any leverage. 

1 hour ago, BigDog90 said:

Millsap seems like a guy all about his money. That would make sense but teams like Boston ("contender" with enough $$$ to give him the max) and Brooklyn (can also offer him the max) so ATL may not have any leverage. 

Wow...really? If Millsap seems like a guy all about money then what would you call Melo and Wade?

25 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Wow...really? If Millsap seems like a guy all about money then what would you call Melo and Wade?

If he was all about the team he would have took less on his last deal. Korver, Dennis and Baze took less to stay with the Hawks.

Melo and Wade are all about the money. Wade got rings though. Melo won't get a ring. It wouldn't surprise me if Millsap ends his career ringless.

7 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

If he was all about the team he would have took less on his last deal. Korver, Dennis and Baze took less to stay with the Hawks.

Melo and Wade are all about the money. Wade got rings though. Melo won't get a ring. It wouldn't surprise me if Millsap ends his career ringless.

Millsap did take less to stay with the Hawks on his last deal..... He had more $ offered from Orlando.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

Millsap did take less to stay with the Hawks on his last deal..... He had more $ offered from Orlando.

This is true. Also, being in FL he would have saved more in taxes, but he opted to take a lesser amount in pure contract terms as well to stay in Atlanta. Don't think it was huge, but with the discount coupled with tax benefits, he did lose out on a notable amount of money by not going to Orlando.

• Like 3

• Moderators
12 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He's worth more than a MLE player. Guys with worse stats was getting paid this summer as much or more. 

Allen Crabbe

Tyler Johnson

Solo Hill

Jon Leur

and a number of others. 

It seems like even Jared Dudley got 9 mil per. That's higher than the new MLE. As much as we hate Baze's salary, it was well deserve from what his production was last year. I just didn't like it or want it and I wasn't big on him or his impact. But I cannot deny the numbers. 

You are right for last year but that bubble is going to burst and those prices aren't going to be that high going forward.  Teams have already lived to regret basically every single one of those deals and they are WAY higher as a % of the cap than deals in the past.  The reason for that is the sudden rising of the cap which won't dictate spending in the future as the raises settle back to a more normal level.

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Allen Crabbe

Tyler Johnson

Solo Hill

Jon Leur

and a number of others. 

That was because of the cap jump by $24 million from last season to this.  Pretty much EVERY team had boatloads of cap space.  Cleveland, Clippers and maybe one other team had no capspace.

The cap increasing by only $8 million will normalize contracts going forward.

No, primarily because if Kenneth ends the season like he started you'd have to attach sweetener (Picks, Bembry/Prince) to dump him for a guy you can go over the cap to resign.  Just bad management mortgaging the future to retain a guy nearing his mid 30s.  Now if they were somehow in the running for Durant or a lesser extent, Hayward to go along with Sap then by all means, dump his ass.