• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Never have 5 words said so little

sturt

• Premium Member

...because the context provided by the reporter was left so cloudy.

Kinda need to know how the question was set-up in order to have a clue how to interpret that. He may have said something like, "Can you comment on what might be coming next?"... or did he say something like, "What do you say to Hawks fans who are wondering if this signals a rebuild?"... or some other nuance? I mean, leaving it at that as he did, it's a total matter of personal interpretation, and thus, who's to say what it means?

• Like 3

• Premium Member

@LamarHampton , dunno about that, really.

I'm actually more prone to the idea that Bud said that in response to all of the whirlwind of trade rumors currently being bounced around... and, that he wouldn't make any assumptions... ie, he wouldn't make any assumptions that there's a next something to expect.

But yeah, that could be wrong, too. Maybe he's suggesting we shouldn't make any assumptions that this is the only deal. Or, maybe he was saying we shouldn't make any assumptions that any direction has been determined at all.

That's the problem. But not where C-Viv's purpose is concerned, I'm sure. It's click-bait for a story he's writing. Hopefully there's some substance forthcoming.

7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Value, just get quality

Agreed...I'm still hoping to keep Sap but if not you have to come away with a Jaylen Brown Jamal Murray Buddy Hield or that Celts nets top pick.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

...because the context provided by the reporter was left so cloudy.

Kinda need to know how the question was set-up in order to have a clue how to interpret that. He may have said something like, "Can you comment on what might be coming next?"... or did he say something like, "What do you say to Hawks fans who are wondering if this signals a rebuild?"... or some other nuance? I mean, leaving it at that as he did, it's a total matter of personal interpretation, and thus, who's to say what it means?

@sturt  the full Q&A...

Q. As for whether the trade of Korver and possible other moves signals a change in the direction of the franchise, coach Mike Budenholzer said not necessarily.

A. “My answer to that is I don’t think there should be any assumptions made about anything,” said Budenholzer, who also serves as president of basketball operations. “Organizationally, we have to make hard decisions. I think it’s important that each one of them puts us in the best situation, the best place, to be a great organization. In this case, we made a trade that wasn’t easy. It was a hard decision. This is a good team that we have. This is a team that has shown an ability to compete at a high level. Keeping it together is something … I just wouldn’t make any assumptions going forward.”

Maybe we are looking to take these crap contracts and bundle them for a disgruntled star player on a team looking to shed his contract? I have no idea who that is but I'm hoping our plan is to add a 3rd star to Dwight and Paul instead of rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DS17Fanboy said:

Still though. Why Cleveland?

Probably only team that offered a 1st rounder. And will allow KK a shot at a ring.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hazer said:

Probably only team that offered a 1st rounder. And will allow KK a shot at a ring.

Yep.  Only team offering a (not guaranteed) first rounder as of early January.

Yeah fine. Lets pretend we know that for certain and lets pretend that 1st round pick means what it says. Still, what if we actually try to win, then reach the ECF and Korver is out there hurting us. What is that pick doing for us?

In the off-season I said this is a roster where Bud is hedging his bets, where when things dont work out he can rebuild quite fast. But we where getting it together more and more lately, while being superb against the contending teams. So, I get that hedging bets thing, I just dont want to help CLE while doing so and not at this time. Korver whas also doing good of the bench, is great guy to have the playoffs and a chemistry guy. Calm and timid but guys listen to what he says I can imagine. That pick is going to haunt us this year Im afraid. And what it brings is 1/10 chance worth it imo.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

26 minutes ago, DS17Fanboy said:

Yeah fine. Lets pretend we know that for certain and lets pretend that 1st round pick means what it says. Still, what if we actually try to win, then reach the ECF and Korver is out there hurting us. What is that pick doing for us?

In the off-season I said this is a roster where Bud is hedging his bets, where when things dont work out he can rebuild quite fast. But we where getting it together more and more lately, while being superb against the contending teams. So, I get that hedging bets thing, I just dont want to help CLE while doing so and not at this time. Korver whas also doing good of the bench, is great guy to have the playoffs and a chemistry guy. Calm and timid but guys listen to what he says I can imagine. That pick is going to haunt us this year Im afraid. And what it brings is 1/10 chance worth it imo.

I think Thabo, Blaze, and Prince will defend 3zus just fine. He won't be knocking down 40% from deep against the Hawks in the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazer said:

I think Thabo, Blaze, and Prince will defend 3zus just fine. He won't be knocking down 40% from deep against the Hawks in the playoffs.

It is interesting the think that if we meet the Cavs in the playoffs, the guys we would put on Kyle have the most experience of anyone in the league guarding him (in practice, scrimmages). So I wouldn't be too worried about him in a face off with Cleveland, which presents numerous other bigger issues a la LeBron, KLove, and TThompson, not to mention Kyrie.

i don't like losing Kyle to the Cavs either, but I don't know we are in that much worse of a position, and we get another pick, which means years more of player control that could be very valuable with the right first round pick (even if a high twenties pick). And Dunleavy may turn out to be a better fit with his more dynamic game; people have been showing all sorts of evidence that the Hawks were better without Kyle, so... I think the trade makes sense, even though I am sad to see Kyle go.

Edited by LamarHampton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LamarHampton said:

Dunleavy may turn out to be a better fit with his more dynamic game

Dynamic game. And I thought I was a warm and fuzzy Hawk's fan. If he does indeed stay I'll hope for the best and maybe his back improves or has improved enough to help us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Dynamic game. And I thought I was a warm and fuzzy Hawk's fan. If he does indeed stay I'll hope for the best and maybe his back improves or has improved enough to help us. 

By dynamic I Simply mean that he can score in more ways than Kyle. Like THJ, he can handle, drive, shoot, and move without the ball. Kyle can shoot better than THJ, but Tim and his more diverse skill set seems to have a better, more positive, impact on the game than Kyle. Maybe it hasn't always been that way, but the last twenty games or so (or maybe even the whole season) I think we could all agree that has been the case.

still doesn't seem like he will play a ton, but I think he will surprise many with what he can produce in limited minutes. (If he stays, of course) Just a hunch.

24 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

By dynamic I Simply mean that he can score in more ways than Kyle. Like THJ, he can handle, drive, shoot, and move without the ball. Kyle can shoot better than THJ, but Tim and his more diverse skill set seems to have a better, more positive, impact on the game than Kyle. Maybe it hasn't always been that way, but the last twenty games or so (or maybe even the whole season) I think we could all agree that has been the case.

still doesn't seem like he will play a ton, but I think he will surprise many with what he can produce in limited minutes. (If he stays, of course) Just a hunch.

Yes. Dunleavy puts the ball on the floor muuuuuch better than Korver and I think that helps a ton because in the rare times that Korver did that, the entire D was at our mercy...opens up everything.

Posting this only because it was against us and seems like that would be a good measure to concentrate on. All his shots were taken from three. I don't want to turn into a stat head 24/7 because that never tells the whole story but here this is anyway.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899550