• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

3 games out of 2nd in East

32 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Udonis went undrafted and I believe he was even in camp with us for a minute.

A lot heavier in that Hawks camp. Got into serious conditioning in Miami and it really paid off.

1 minute ago, Thomas said:

A lot heavier in that Hawks camp. Got into serious conditioning in Miami and it really paid off.

Ya I recall. When he was at Florida he was a bigger boy. Something inspired him to put down the ice cream.

4 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ya I recall. When he was at Florida he was a bigger boy. Something inspired him to put down the ice cream.

Don't know who the strength and conditioning guy was but Haslem stated he owed his NBA career to him once several years ago.

30 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Don't know who the strength and conditioning guy was but Haslem stated he owed his NBA career to him once several years ago.

Wow...that's awesome. Wonder who it was? Miami Heat S&C coach or Gator guy I wonder..

12 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Wow...that's awesome. Wonder who it was? Miami Heat S&C coach or Gator guy I wonder..

Definitely after he was in Miami after playing overseas and I'm pretty sure its this guy. Have heard his name before. Can't find an article though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Foran

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They are still both with the teams that drafted them. Udonis was never close to being the best player on his team, so he's never been a big money player. Dirk is making $25 million this season at 38 years old.

Millsap took less money per year on this contract to 'help' out the Hawks.

Dirk left much money on the table more than once. Cuban about the last negotiations (from a German sports web site):

Cuban erklärte, Nowitzkis langjähriger Mentor Holger Geschwindner habe bei Verhandlungen Zahlen genannt, daraufhin habe der Klub eine noch höhere Summe angeboten.

Translation: Cuban said that Nowitzki's longtime mentor Holger Geschwindner had called for numbers in negotiations, and the club offered an even higher sum.

Additionally his contract has a team option for the 2nd year to give the Mavs flexibility...

But yeah the Dirk & Dallas connection is something really special. It's nothing you can expect from a player.

If we keep up solid defense, hitting open shots, gelling chemistry and handle business against sub 50% teams, at the end of January we could be perfectly 2nd or 3rd seed in the East.

Interesting note found in SI Power Ranking.

it's worth mentioning that the lineup of Dennis Schröder, Thabo Sefolosha, Kent Bazemore, Paul Millsap and Dwight Howard has been the league’s most efficient defensive group (minimum 100 minutes played)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm hoping we see a Dennis/Hardaway/Prince/Sap/Howard starting lineup shape up as the lineup of the future.

If we can hang on to Sap and Tim believe that would become a strong contender that the Cavs would have a serious battle and extended series at the very least with us. Would be nice to get past LeBron during this stage of his career and not when he's forty. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I think we need to worry more about how this season goes.  If we end up imploding then Sap will be gone.  If we build toward something then I think he'll want to stay because he's the man here.     I'm hoping we see a Dennis/Hardaway/Prince/Sap/Howard starting lineup shape up as the lineup of the future.  With Baze being effective off the bench.   That lineup could be pretty great.   

That's my projected lineup barring trades for next season. I wish we could get a jump on it this season but Thabo is completely blocking Prince's minutes.

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

That's my projected lineup barring trades for next season. I wish we could get a jump on it this season but Thabo is completely blocking Prince's minutes.

Thabo's at least defending at a fairly high level though.

• Moderators

I'm a little confused why we haven't given Tim a chance to show that he could be a starter and a consistent scorer for this team.   He sure shows the skills to do it.   We should have figured that out by now so we can decided if he's worth the investment this summer.   Of course, maybe Bud has figured it out and already knows the answer.  If that's the case we should package him with some others and try to get a dynamic scorer in here at the 2 or 3.  We need that even if it's just off the bench.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Thabo's at least defending at a fairly high level though.

I'm not bashing Thabo, just saying. He's probably not coming back so if we flipped him at the deadline it wouldn't shock me. Of course we could simply keep him and ride out his last year as a Hawk for the playoff run as well.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I'm a little confused why we haven't given Tim a chance to show that he could be a starter and a consistent scorer for this team.   He sure shows the skills to do it.   We should have figured that out by now so we can decided if he's worth the investment this summer.   Of course, maybe Bud has figured it out and already knows the answer.  If that's the case we should package him with some others and try to get a dynamic scorer in here at the 2 or 3.  We need that even if it's just off the bench.   

I'm wondering if Bud is willing to pay him starter money to be a sixth man. We need scoring on the second unit and Tim gives us that. We could put Bazemore in to start at SG for defense/energy and Tim could come off the bench for scoring.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rd79 said:

Dirk left much money on the table more than once. Cuban about the last negotiations (from a German sports web site):

Translation: Cuban said that Nowitzki's longtime mentor Holger Geschwindner had called for numbers in negotiations, and the club offered an even higher sum.

Additionally his contract has a team option for the 2nd year to give the Mavs flexibility...

But yeah the Dirk & Dallas connection is something really special. It's nothing you can expect from a player.

Additionally, he's only being paid as much as he is now as a reward for being a good soldier.  He would have taken much less if the Mavs managed to attract a star player but they failed and gave the money to him as a mea culpa.  

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Thomas said:

There have been a lot of guys who "train" in Miami and bulk themselves up nicely.  There is a reason LeBron still goes down there for treatme...I mean workouts with that great training community.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I'm not bashing Thabo, just saying. He's probably not coming back so if we flipped him at the deadline it wouldn't shock me. Of course we could simply keep him and ride out his last year as a Hawk for the playoff run as well.

I hear you but I have a tremendous BBIQ so I think things a little deeper than the rest of you plebs.  That's my Supes impression.  Seriously though, I think/hope we ride it out.  Skip's complete and total inability to guard 3's means Thabo is the only guy with the smarts to at least bother some of the scoring wangs we could face.

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

There have been a lot of guys who "train" in Miami and bulk themselves up nicely.  There is a reason LeBron still goes down there for treatme...I mean workouts with that great training community.

Whether treatment or actual training or whatever else this is the guy the article I saw several years ago was about. Haslem really praised him. Bio link below.

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/bill_foran/

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Being a sixth man is an important role, especially if you end up with starter minutes.  I hope we keep him.

• Like 2