• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks' Response On Wilcox

AUhawksfan

Sorry to open up Pandora's box again but.....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18446972/atlanta-hawks-disciplined-general-manager-wes-wilcox-racially-charged-remark

I guess this kind of proves my disdain for the media and why you can't always believe what you read - they want clicks.  Seems like we were picking apart something that probably wasn't even said.

I mean honestly, how can you trust someone that wants Mark Jackson as coach?  Nzinga's got us covered.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

how can you trust someone that wants Mark Jackson as coach?

Good point. Stated if we fire Bud and hire Jackson he would guarantee two years of him/company purchasing season tickets. Pretty bad business.  

3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Good point. Stated if we fire Bud and hire Jackson he would guarantee two years of his him/company purchasing season tickets. Pretty bad business.  

Wait.  Who said what now?

9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Wait.  Who said what now?

Season ticket holder Clarenton Crawford, by his account, made his displeasure with coach Mike Budenholzer known, and offered to renew for two more seasons if the organization hired Mark Jackson instead.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Season ticket holder Clarenton Crawford, by his account, made his displeasure with coach Mike Budenholzer known, and offered to renew for two more seasons if the organization hired Mark Jackson instead.

I don't know if this was in jest or not but how idiotic is this request.   I'm sure the hawks huddled to see if it was worth running their organization on the whim of some cranky old man so they can collect $8,000.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas said:

OMFG.  Now I remember why I avoided that whole discussion.  That is an asinine statement.  Who the f*ck are you to think your renewal/non-renewal should rate for this franchise?  

And, lemme guess, he also wants us to hire Sam Mitchell, Byron Scott, Mike Brown or Mo Cheeks or some other washed up clown who has his one magic qualifying characteristic too, huh?

Look, I'm a black dude and I appreciate seeing black head coaches simply because in the not-so-distant past there was a real impediment to it happening.  However, society is moving past that and guys get/keep jobs moreso based on merit now.  Not always, but certainly more than in any prior period in time so it doesn't make sense to get hung up on that so much anymore.

Anyways, for me, this issue is now about identifying who "Clarenton" is on the Squawk.  I vote @Diesel

Edited by kg01

4 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Crawfords, ranked:

1. Jamal

2. Joan

3. (Crawford) Long

4. Dan

5. Lavell

6. Getting Hit By a Car

7. Clarenton

8. Carl

9. Joey

~lw3

Fail.  No option to select 'Jordan Crawford'.  Man that was a rookie-level turnover by lw3.

Also, on the Clarenton ID'ing front, the issue included his wife so @JayBirdHawk and @Lurker are in play.  I still say he's Diesel though.

31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Fail.  No option to select 'Jordan Crawford'.  Man that was a rookie-level turnover by lw3.

Also, on the Clarenton ID'ing front, the issue included his wife so @JayBirdHawk and @Lurker are in play.  I still say he's Diesel though.

I was thinking the same thing.  How can your forget the next Air Jordan himself?

Putting up 72 points in a game against questionable competition?  How can we not respect that @lethalweapon3?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

@kg01  I'm not one of the privileged few - season ticket holder - so I'm out.

• Moderators

I'm not gonna :beathorse: either, and I propose a lunch break to get the last bits of consternation out before we lock this baby.

But I loathe (don't think that's too strong a term) these "Meet the Brain Trust!" meetings with ticketholders.

One on end... remember when the old Atlanta Sp'it Group regime used to hold some kind of "State of the Hawks" lecture by the owners? I recall one meeting near the Seydels' ritzy Piedmont Driving Club... which one was it when Gearon (so good to have someone ELSE affectionately named, "Junior") called KG "dirtiest player in the league", and the Celts "an old physical team. They are old", right in the middle of a playoff series?

On the other end... you've got customers who are customers only insofar as they can enjoy the feeling that they're somehow holding well-heeled People In Charge hostage. "Nice season ticket package I've got... it'd be a shame if anything happened to it!"

Then they proceed to demand a rescission of The Nique Trade, or the return of Danny Ferry on a white horse, or something, lest that row of seats in Section 309 collect dust all year long. They walk in the door as skeptics, and they don't leave unskeptical just because you let them speak directly to you. At best, they're airing grievances. At worst, they're hoping to stage some palace coup.

In between, you've got hot mics and cameras rolling. Even if they're not, owners and management are tongue-lashed and pressured into making ridiculous promises and assurances to appease a way-too-small and fickle customer base.

One overstatement by a Hawks staff member, and people are running to RealGM talkin' 'bout "sources". One off-kilter response, whether you're joking or perturbed by someone in the audience, and you're the star of Deadspin. One on-record misstep before free agency, and your team is paying fines for tampering.

I'm all for sounding boards, so long as they're just that... a board. Where is all the commentary, directly to the ticket-buying public, from GarPax, and Phil, and Ernie G? What can Jeanie, or Sarver, or Proky, or Vivek say directly to a fan that's going to pacify them? If you really need fan feedback to guide your decision-making, send out a lackey like Bowdler (let someone else write up the invite, though) to feel their pain, take minutes, and move on.

Actions speak louder than words, so cut down on the words (fancy me saying that) and let us judge by your actions/inaction. Warrior fans didn't grow to love Joe Lacob because of some nice fireside chat.

Us bitter fans can write missives about personnel and popcorn all the livelong day. We don't need the added pleasure of griping about what lousy stand-up comics our owners and GMs are. Nothing good comes from these ticketholder meetings, so just let the Invisible Hand do it's bidding.

~lw3

• Like 3

• Premium Member

+1 to LW3. I appreciate the Hawks trying to be more interactive with the fans, but there's absolutely no value in these interactions. I've seen enough city councils, town halls, and PTA meetings to know that these things ALWAYS have the potential to go bad. Just email the season ticket holders a survey and save yourselves the headache.

• Like 2