• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks to interview Warriors Exec for GM

GrimeyKidd

I like this Travis guy but mainly because of what Jerry West is saying. If I were to judge a book by its cover...Travis looks confused..

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I like this Travis guy but mainly because of what Jerry West is saying.

Yeah. Same. There's really no recommendation to my mind that carries more weight in the NBA.

But we'll see.

One thing to have permission to talk, another to interview and find him to be a good fit in actuality.

• Like 2

The goal for this organization is to land top 5-10 picks. In the NBA, a top 5-10 is like a 1st rounder in the NFL. 11-20 is like NFL 2nd rounders. 21-30 is like 3rd rounders, etc. 31-40 4th, 41-50 5th, 51-60 6th and the 7th and undrafted guys are preferred UDFA. 

Then get that it player. For Atlanta, that player has to be someone you can build a title around. Steph Curry, LeBron, etc. Some guys develop into that guy, for example Leonard but rarely you will get that got outside of the lottery. 

Try to find another guy. Maybe even one more. You are now in position to be elite for the next 10-15 years in the NBA. You just need to scout the right role players and do not overpay and try to get steals while maintaining the rights of players. Easier said than done since players have agents who want the opposite which makes sense. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

The REAL trend is that these guys are all likely married and probably with children as well. Single guys don't bald like that unless they've had an medical affliction as serious as marriage! 

Balding is about genetics, not marriage. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Balding is about genetics, not marriage. 

Says the guy who's not married.  Stay in your follicle lane, bro.

This would be a great hire. Probably the best one on paper of all the guys the Hawks have asked to interview. The Warriors built one of the best teams of all time through the draft. Curry was picked 7th, Klay Thompson 11th, and Draymond Green 35th. Also they got Baze in the second as well as drafting very well for picking last in the first the last few years. They also signed some great free agents like Iguadola before they were a dynasty. I don't know how big of a role the assistant gm had in this, but taking a guy from the team that sets the standard for team building looks great to me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Says the guy who's not married.  Stay in your follicle lane, bro.

Yeah, ignorance can truly be bliss. Marriage brings in every kind of relative you never ever wanted to deal with. Not just a one person deal. Love my girl but the rest of them can kick rocks, and kick them on someone else's property. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Also in the GM search: Nique, a mid-level A.I. robot, and Lun-Lun the giant panda.  

Ah, but really I'm feeling very good about the possibility of Schlenk, how bout you cat? A marriage of him and Bud with less interference from an owner seems very positive and the right move to me, maybe the best move. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Kimsey said:

The Warriors didn't have to tank to get where they are. Don't know how much, if any this dude had a hand in tho. He's a final 3 shortlister for sure.  

Tank, no. But they were a perennial loser-to-mediocre franchise... and notably, they were that for years even after having drafted Curry. It's really been the drafts that delivered Thompson and Green to them that turned the corner for them as far as I can figure.

This guy sounds good on paper, but mostly sounds good based on one recommendation. Again, count me as intrigued, but still have to allow for the possibility he still might not be determined to be the best candidate. Can't really totally judge him from this distance.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, ignorance can truly be bliss. Marriage brings in every kind of relative you never ever wanted to deal with. Not just a one person deal. Love my girl but the rest of them can kick rocks, and kick them on someone else's property. 

Oh man, my BIL issues have been well-chronicled in chat (where there's no record to be subpoenaed in case someone gets murk'd).

25 minutes ago, sturt said:

Tank, no. But they were a perennial loser-to-mediocre franchise... and notably, they were that for years even after having drafted Curry. It's really been the drafts that delivered Thompson and Green to them that turned the corner for them as far as I can figure.

This guy sounds good on paper, but mostly sounds good based on one recommendation. Again, count me as intrigued, but still have to allow for the possibility he still might not be determined to be the best candidate. Can't really totally judge him from this distance.

The AI signing was huge for them. That took them from "Atlanta Hawks Bud Era" to real contenders. Barnes was another good pick and a good defender they could throw at Lebron. Livingston was another outstanding acquisition. He was basically Matt Barnes bouncing from team to team and they turned him to a top flight 6th man.  

Edited by Kimsey
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Ah, but really I'm feeling really good about the possibility of Schlenk, how bout you cat? A marriage of him and Bud with less interference from an owner seems very positive and the right move, maybe the best move to me. 

I would value the West recommendation a lot more had Schlenk come from another organization.  The Warriors back their own to a fault, see Draymond campaigning for Klay to make All-NBA. 

I prefer a former player to a video coordinator.  We won't know if he's impressively intelligent, persuasive, or strong-willed until he starts making moves.  I prefer a guy who has a track record you can garner from, which is why I hope they've moved along from Griffin (Blatt, Bennett) and Dumars (Darko, Gordon, Villanueva, etc).  It's arguable but this franchise has illustrated they don't know what the hell they doing so I have to be skeptical about every candidate.  

Pulling 60 wins out of a paltry payroll is a lot to live up to in my eyes.  Seems we're on a bullet train toward the opposite direction: awful contracts and a perennial .500 record.  

I wasn't excited at all when this season started.  Much less this year with a front office in flux and an even poorer FA class.

Edited by benhillboy

39 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

I would value the West recommendation a lot more had Schlenk come from another organization.  The Warriors back their own to a fault, see Draymond campaigning for Klay to make All-NBA. 

I prefer a former player to a video coordinator.  We won't know if he's impressively intelligent, persuasive, or strong-willed until he starts making moves.  I prefer a guy who has a track record you can garner from, which is why I hope they've moved along from Griffin (Blatt, Bennett) and Dumars (Darko, Gordon, Villanueva, etc).  It's arguable but this franchise has illustrated they don't know what the hell they doing so I have to be skeptical about every candidate.  

Pulling 60 wins out of a paltry payroll is a lot to live up to in my eyes.  Seems we're on a bullet train toward the opposite direction: awful contracts and a perennial .500 record.  

I wasn't excited at all when this season started.  Much less this year with a front office in flux and an even poorer FA class.

The front office in flux makes me pretty excited. Shakeups at the top always make for a fun offseason as the new guy tries to craft the team his way. I'm hoping for a breaking of the status quo, and I think that this guy would probably want to do that. I do think the Hawks will probably be on track for the lottery next year though which is also exciting because the season becomes less about wins and losses and more about seeing what the young guys can do.