Would the franchise be better served if Schlenk just goes ahead and hires his own guy to coach?

sturt

• Premium Member

I ask b/c we all pretty much knew when Ferry came in that Larry Drew's days were numbered, though he denied that at the time. Sooner than later, Ferry was going to want his time to be judged by how the team performed once he had someone he himself wanted for the job, and not just a nice guy who he inherited.

So, given that it appears we've come full circle back to the traditional GM approach, and that by his absence it's difficult to surmise that Bud is still regarded as one of the inner circle and is fundamental to the team's future success (at least where the owner is concerned)...

Should Schlenk just save himself and Bud and all of us fans some unnecessary time going down that road, and just seek a buy-out of whatever contract Bud has left?

I'm asking, not advocating. 24 hours ago, it wasn't even a reasonable question to put out there, but now it seems it most certainly is.

18 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Why not? It seems inevitable that we are going to end up with Mike Brown as coach someday and if we have to endure that then let's just get it over with. 

Wash ur mouth with soap sir!

18 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Wash ur mouth with soap sir!

Been rumored before, Bud could easily be replaced as @sturt has mentioned, Brown will not be the head coach next season unless Kerr retires, and finally our new GM came from the team that employed Brown. Trust me I don't like it at all but you know it's going to happen someday. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Been rumored before, Bud could easily be replaced as @sturt has mentioned, Brown will not be the head coach next season unless Kerr retires, and finally our new GM came from the team that employed Brown. Trust me I don't like it at all but you know it's going to happen someday. 

I personally think we will keep Bud. Mike Brown sucks a$$ in my opinion. I'd rather have Jeff van gundy.

I was just watching the Finals playback and wondering what Jared Collins' reputation is and if he's coming down the pipeline.  He's lead assistant now Kerr's out.

Bud going anywhere anytime soon is improbable though.  Give him a team of guys who are smart, like each other, work hard, and fit well and he's a Conference Final contender year in year out.  He had to contend with poor attitudes, awful fits created by a novice assistant GM, and immaturity this past season.  Good coaches don't have time for those type of setbacks, you have to start at a well-set table and make sure no one takes anything off like the 60 win squad.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

I've been a Bud advocate from the outset. I think a quick re-hash of my posts over the years attests that I've even been among the most avid of the Bud advocates here... just to further establish that I hate even asking the question. And of course, the media appear to have largely left it alone, except that is, for Schultz who noted in his column yesterday reasons to naturally question the imagery as-if all is well where Bud himself and Ressler are concerned. I don't pay much attention to writers who are paid to write provocative stuff, but in this case, the fact is the fact, which is there was a deliberate decision to schedule the presser at a time when Bud would have an excuse not to attend (and, ostensibly, take questions).

In light of that...

Presume that this team doesn't even do next season what they did this season. First, is that such a grandiose assumption? And second, just your first inclination... in that ecology, won't the new-ish GM feel altogether compelled to make a switch at that point in 2018 instead of waiting?

That's all I'm getting at... it's one of those where I hate what I think I see at the other end of the railroad tracks, but if I see what I think I see, it seems wiser to opt to switch tracks now, as jolting as it might be, and avoid the trainwreck and the start-over on the other end of this thing.

Key phrase, "if I see what I think I see." Not 100% sure. Not even 51% sure, really. But it's just cloudy/clear enough that it merits a conversation.

Colonel Schlenk said Bud is one of the best coaches in the NBA, that they already have a great coach in place so they don't have to waste time searching for one, and that players know when they come here Bud makes them better. Which segues to the point he stressed about developing our own young players, and that Bud is good at that. Schlenk apparently already has "his guy".

• Like 4

Brown didn't bring the ball moving offense to golden state. He's an heavy ISO coach and good defensive coach but by no means does he deserve credit for how the Warriors play their style of offense. Brown is a joke that simply adopted a team that Kerr has not been able to tend to due to sickness.

i hope Schlenk doesn't think brown is some awesome ass coach all of a sudden. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JTB said:

Brown didn't bring the ball moving offense to golden state. He's an heavy ISO coach and good defensive coach but by no means does he deserve credit for how the Warriors play their style of offense. Brown is a joke that simply adopted a team that Kerr has not been able to tend to due to sickness.

i hope Schlenk doesn't think brown is some awesome ass coach all of a sudden. 

As we have seen  with Luke Walton last year in Kerr's absence - the Warriors are  easy to coach.

Using the Warriors as a bench mark for coaching acumen is fools gold.

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As we have seen  with Luke Walton last year in Kerr's absence - the Warriors are  easy to coach.

Using the Warriors as a bench mark for coaching acumen is fools gold.

Exactly! I hope Schlenk isn't fooled and I highly doubt he is.

It's cool to sh$t on Mike Brown.  But by all accounts he's a great guy.  In this day and age that stands for a whole hell of a lot.  Unfortunately a walk in this Finals is gonna be seen as more of an indictment of Kerr's impact than anything he did.  He's a top-flight assistant, wouldn't mind him in that capacity at all.

46 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

It's cool to sh$t on Mike Brown.  But by all accounts he's a great guy.  In this day and age that stands for a whole hell of a lot.  Unfortunately a walk in this Finals is gonna be seen as more of an indictment of Kerr's impact than anything he did.  He's a top-flight assistant, wouldn't mind him in that capacity at all.

From what I've heard and read and even seen, Mike Brown is a great person for sure. He's always laughing and joking with the other coaches, players and refs. I wouldn't mind having him as an assistant but I wouldn't want him as our head coach.

10 hours ago, sturt said:

June 2017, I agree.

June 2018, though?

Schlenk said Bud is a top 10 coach in the league. Schlenk said players already want to come to Atlanta because they know Bud makes them better players. Schlenk said Bud develops players and his plan is to develop our young players and draft picks. How does that change from '17 to '18? Who does he bring in to match that in '18? Bud has been a head coach all of 4 years and already has a COTY and All-Star gig under his belt. Stop, just stop...

• Like 3

Look, Bud frustrates the $hit outta me with his stubbornness, lineups, rookie treatment, etc. That being said, he's no Lue (can that guy even officially be called a COACH?). You don't know what you've got till it's gone, we're very lucky to have Bud and don't appreciate what's right underneath our noses. Woodson? Drew? I hope Bud is here into the 2020s, unless he obtusely drags us down. Which ain't happening. I have a love/hate opinion of Bud actually, but think if he sticks to his guns (we all know he will), it's going to pay off. Sidenote: hypothetical eventual replacement if we're going there? I can't be the only one intrigued with Snyder...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3