• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

State of the Hawks

Vol4ever

4 hours ago, hazer said:

Despite his awkward presentation at times.

Exactly.  I admit I'm more cynical than I should be at times but this guy just rubs me wrong.  Reading between the lines of his quotes is cringeworthy.  I think he was the deciding factor in bringing Dwight here, a move I cannot forgive.

Bud is the man.  When he gets back to focusing all of his efforts on coaching he'll revert back to the top tier.  My main gripe are the head scratchers in terms of who plays and who doesn't, who gets reprimanded and who doesn't.

My first impression of Schlenk is neutral.  I'm sure he's a smart guy.  But I want my GM to be tough and kinda ornery.  Seems a little too friendly for me.

The State of the Club could be worse I guess.  Still miles away from me actually supporting at the Bulb.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Looks like the front office wants to win.

The new GM does have impressive credentials and I certainly agree with his direction

Bud is overrated much like Mike Smith of the Falcons and Bobby Cox of the Braves

• Like 1

IMHO, what happens in the offseason - Millsap walks (I have 3 teams in mind and I'm not completely sold on sharing at this time), The Hawks move the future firsts from Minny, Cleveland and 31 to move up in this draft (the talent is too good) targeting something like Detroit, Denver, Miami at 12-14 (and FYI if I was the GM, this is what I'd do too). I also think they will find a buyer for Baze in a trade down for a backup point guard (example - Ish Smith). With the cash available from letting Millsap walk and trading Baze you free up about $28 million in Salary and end up about $45 million under the cap after draft picks. You resign Ersan as you rental PF (unless you sign one via free agency...see next) and use the extra money to sign one big name free agent. My personal preference being Blake Griffin. I would much rather throw the max ($30.6 million starting) at Griffin in his prime than the max ($35.6 million starting) at Millsap in his decline. Griffin has better all around numbers and would instantly remove the offense burden from Dennis. With the remaining money (about $10 million) you sign a mid-tier (Ersan or other) and let the young players develop.

There's a few "ifs" in there but in my opinion this is what should happen and something like it will probably happen. But you could line up next year with

Dennis/Smith (or maybe Rodriguez)/Delaney

Hardaway/Bembry/filler

Prince/rookie

Griffin/Ersan/filler

Howard/Muscala/filler

and still be under the cap.

Edited by thecampster

22 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

I have mixed emotions about this off-season and the 2017-18 season.  I guess history has taught me this, or maybe old age.

Aye Vol, *slap* grow a pair.  We's fans.  The only 'emotion' we have is HAWKS GON' WINIT AWL!!!

Seriously though, good thread.

I generally like Ressler.  Seems to want to win.  Made some mistakes, as @macdaddy keeps reminding us, but I'll give him a pass.  Growing pains and whatnot.  I feel confident that he'll empower and support SausageSchlenk and Budz which is all I want from him.

I'm still on the BudzWagon.  He's not perfect but we could be doing MUCH worse in the coaching dept.  I hope he improves his assistants.  I think we've taken a hit in the player devel. area.

I'm cautiously optimistic on SausageSchlenk and not just for the nickname value.  I like his aversion to bad contracts and he seems to have been part of an organization that had recent, non-lotto draft success.  I want to see how his version of 'staying flexible' manifests itself.  Ferry's version left a lot to be desired, if we're being honest.

Also like the hint he keeps dropping about being ready to strike when a star comes available a la the Harden trade situation.  Acknowledges he knows we need a star and isn't married to a bunch of 'good' players.

13 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud is overrated ...

Who instead then?  Don't give me problems, give me solutions.

And @thecampster, why you scared to share your 3 Millsap teams?  (punk)

I'll say HOU, LAC (once they lose Griffin to us), CLE (will look to move emoLove, focus more on defense/2-way players), WAS and POR if they can free-up any money using their fifty-leven draft picks.

5 hours ago, thecampster said:

IMHO, what happens in the offseason - Millsap walks (I have 3 teams in mind and I'm not completely sold on sharing at this time), The Hawks move the future firsts from Minny, Cleveland and 31 to move up in this draft (the talent is too good) targeting something like Detroit, Denver, Miami at 12-14 (and FYI if I was the GM, this is what I'd do too). I also think they will find a buyer for Baze in a trade down for a backup point guard (example - Ish Smith). With the cash available from letting Millsap walk and trading Baze you free up about $28 million in Salary and end up about $45 million under the cap after draft picks. You resign Ersan as you rental PF (unless you sign one via free agency...see next) and use the extra money to sign one big name free agent. My personal preference being Blake Griffin. I would much rather throw the max ($30.6 million starting) at Griffin in his prime than the max ($35.6 million starting) at Millsap in his decline. Griffin has better all around numbers and would instantly remove the offense burden from Dennis. With the remaining money (about $10 million) you sign a mid-tier (Ersan or other) and let the young players develop.

There's a few "ifs" in there but in my opinion this is what should happen and something like it will probably happen. But you could line up next year with

Hardaway/Bembry/filler

Prince/rookie

Griffin/Ersan/filler

Howard/Muscala/filler

@thecampster

Name the teams: Denver, Houston and Miami???(I don't see Riley givnig Millsap a max).

Detroit can't take Baze, they are already over the cap and have to resign KCP who is looking for a max deal.  Hawks will have to take on more salary. Ish makes $6. (I know it's only an example).

If Millsap walks.....:

1.  I'd pass on Griffin as a max player, he may have the better numbers but he will miss too many games not just in the regular season but also in the layoffs.

2. Dwight should be moved.  I don't want Dwight as the veteran locker room presence

Question regarding moving up in the draft: are you saying we keep #19, then use #31, Minny and Cavs 1sts to move up?  Or using #19 and future 1sts to move up?

• Moderators

I actually think Blake makes sense.  It's risky and i the idea of Griffin/Dwight is a little worse than Sap/Dwight i think.   But is a prime Blake any riskier than a 32,33,34,35 year old Sap in terms of injury?   

8 hours ago, thecampster said:

Hardaway/Bembry/filler

Prince/rookie

Griffin/Ersan/filler

Howard/Muscala/filler

You had me until Blake. To me, Blake is in the Melo category of stat stuffing so called stars that don't make their teammates any better and their current team probably win more without them on the squad.

7 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

You had me until Blake. To me, Blake is in the Melo category of stat stuffing so called stars that don't make their teammates any better and their current team probably win more without them on the squad.

Yeah, he has missed about eighty regular season games the last three years and is damaged already by the playoffs or gets damaged during the playoffs. His MO.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, he has missed about eighty regular season games the last three years and is damaged already by the playoffs or gets damaged during the playoffs. His MO.

It would actually be an expensive way to go about tanking. I mean with Dwight and Blake, they will about 50-75 games between them. We would prolly find ourselves at around 35-40 wins and #10 pick in next year's draft.

While I'm a little intrigued over the Blake Griffin possibilities, I don't see him coming here. IMHO, he has all of the makings of a guy who loves the spotlight that a place like LA provides. I don't know about cap situations but I can see him going somewhere like Miami instead. 

One situation I'd look at with some interest is (I know, them again) San Antonio, especially if the Chris Paul rumblings are validated. What if they want to do a 'gentlemen's agreement' to persuade Millsap into going there and sending, I don't know, Lamarcus Aldridge here to make room? He has a player option after next season (code for he'll be a free agent) so they'll be singing the same song but a different verse a year later like they did with Horford last year and Millsap now. Just a random thought that crossed my head.

As for reality, if Millsap walks, I really don't see anyone on the free agent market that they can bring in to replace his numbers, which would make the rebuild mantra those on this forum is clamoring for almost a foregone conclusion with three starters having departed via free agency, two more by trade. That's unless the Hawks can pull an 'oh yeah, watch this' move that sends shockwaves throughout the league; and here for that matter...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

It would actually be an expensive way to go about tanking. I mean with Dwight and Blake, they will about 50-75 games between them. We would prolly find ourselves at around 35-40 wins and #10 pick in next year's draft.

Over twenty one million for him and still end up with an injury by the post season if not a lot sooner. Fewer wins if that is the goal, a strange way to go about it though like you said, the serious expense. I'm thinking Ersan and the 19 or 31 at PF and of course Bud will try to bring Moose back as well.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-clippers/blake-griffin-6501/

I honestly hope we go with Menace/FA, THJr/daFro, freshPrince/pick, Ilyasovavichkov/pick, D8/pick this year and miss the playoffs. Land a top 10 draft spot for 2018. Then get back to the playoffs in '19 with savvy development/FAcy/trades and work your way back up to the top of the bracket in subsequent years (via pouncing on a "star" FA circa 2020).

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, hazer said:

I honestly hope we go with Menace/FA, THJr/daFro, freshPrince/pick, Ilyasovavichkov/pick, D8/pick this year and miss the playoffs. Land a top 10 draft spot for 2018. Then get back to the playoffs in '19 with savvy development/FAcy/trades and work your way back up to the top of the bracket in subsequent years.

trouble is that team might not miss the playoffs but be on the fringe like the Bobby Sura era Hawks.. Ilyasova in place of Sap is a drop off but not a huge one, it wouldn't be like that time without Ilya the Hawks went on losing streak with Sap injured..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, turnermx said:

trouble is that team might not miss the playoffs but be on the fringe like the Bobby Sura era Hawks.. Ilyasova in place of Sap is a drop off but not a huge one, it wouldn't be like that time without Ilya the Hawks went on losing streak with Sap injured..

3 rooks off the bench might do the trick though :afro:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hazer said:

I honestly hope we go with Menace/FA, THJr/daFro, freshPrince/pick, Ilyasovavichkov/pick, D8/pick this year and miss the playoffs. Land a top 10 draft spot for 2018. Then get back to the playoffs in '19 with savvy development/FAcy/trades and work your way back up to the top of the bracket in subsequent years (via pouncing on a "star" FA circa 2020).

All that is actually quite likely.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, turnermx said:

And if that team DOES back into the playoffs and ruins a lottery pick, it'll be a lot more entertaining and painless watching them do it than if Hawks spend money and spin wheels just to keep treadmilling with meaningless 1st round exits.

Edited by hazer