• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

"Wake me up after the draft" -- am I alone in that attitude this year?

sturt

• Premium Member

FWIW, I tend to feel this way every year.  The draft is a crapshoot, and as fans we tend to overrate our ability to spot talent. 

On top of that, it usually takes a 2-3 years to determine which players developed properly, but we don't have the patience for that...

• Like 4

It depends...if we see more super teams which i believe we will over the next few seasons. I'm only going to care solely about the draft and our extremely young players and hope they get to an all star level as they age.

• Like 1

I don't watch enough college bball to have my own opinion. All I know and understand is what the Hawks needs are but don't know enough about the prospects to say who is better than another.

It's a real crap shoot, so anybody touting anyone as the next so and so is hit or miss. I'm still waiting for the much touted overhyped 2014 draft class to show me something. They've just completed year 3.

It interests me because it's interesting offseason talk.

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, JTB said:

It depends...if we see more super teams which i believe we will over the next few seasons. I'm only going to care solely about the draft and our extremely young players and hope they get to an all star level as they age.

Don't get me wrong... I will care again very soon, but at the moment, I have no clue which way Schlenk is going to go, or as importantly, which way he should go. We just need the very best player at #19 that can be had, period, regardless of position, imo... yes, even PG. We need the best young asset we can get. And once that player has been selected, then the rest of the dominoes begin to line-up. That's my take, anyway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sturt said:

I can't remember the last time I felt this way, because normally this time of year I'm studying Draft Express videos and generally coming to some strong opinions about who we need to draft.

But this year, under these circumstances, it just seems a pretty mindless proposition to invest time into that.... too much that can happen ahead of our draft slot, too many job openings on the 2017-18 roster such that there is no position that really can be ruled out @ #19, and seemingly too many basically-equivalent talents.

So, wake me up on Friday, and then I'll take interest in what the first Schlenk roster is going to look like, and start forming my own opinions about free agency. Until then, there is garden weeding to be done, bike rides to be had, and some things from work that deserve more of my attention. Am I the only one?

Actually I am very interested in the draft this year. We have technically 7 tradable draft assets in the next 4 years and 3 players that could all be used to move up in this draft if need be.  I'm anticipating movement from the Hawks. The Lonzo Ball situation is also possibly going to cause havoc at the top. It is going to be one of the more entertaining drafts in years. And I don't see any way Giles drops to 19 but if he does, I'll threaten bodily harm if Schlenk doesn't jump all over it.

The draft is always interesting to me because I follow college hoops so it's interesting to see how teams approach evaluating talent. I definitely feel ya on the predictions though, when you have a pick that's later in the draft you really can't predict what will happen leading up to it.

57 minutes ago, sturt said:

Don't get me wrong... I will care again very soon, but at the moment, I have no clue which way Schlenk is going to go, or as importantly, which way he should go. We just need the very best player at #19 that can be had, period, regardless of position, imo... yes, even PG. We need the best young asset we can get. And once that player has been selected, then the rest of the dominoes begin to line-up. That's my take, anyway.

I agree to an extent....I think we need the very best player available that's 6'6 and up regardless of position 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

there's quite a lot of guys I look at 19 so i'm not as wary as past years drafts. how typical would it be if the hawks passed up on all the guys this board likes and picks up some random old dude tho

Even if Schlenk picks someone others deem a reach, he's got one freebie honeymoon benefit-of-a-doubt due to his association with GSW. I hope he makes the best of it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, JTB said:

I agree to an extent....I think we need the very best player available that's 6'6 and up regardless of position 

Not me. I know Delaney is motivated to prove he can play better, but I'm not going to trust that... we spent a lot of time on this forum last season whining about the lack of a good 2nd PG, and we're just not at a place in the development timeline what we can even be thought to be 3 players away, let alone just 1.

So, I'll take a clone of Dennis if that's available at #19 and is guy Schlenk deems the BPA.

• Like 1

The NBA draft is one of my fav events...I plan my parties around it..and I'm always the muthafuckin host, ya heard!!! I feature a different chip n dip combo for every round (2 rounds)..when there's a trade, you automatically have to take a shot of something, and pizza everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Dnice said:

No not really alone, you could wake me until the draft though..

I'd rather not hear about "looking at", and "in talks with" stuff. Just make the move.

I do agree the hype is plain stupid. All the he said/they said crap is smokescreen in my mind. I do love the draft from 4pm-9pm that night though.

I'm going to make this a "man cave event" this Thursday. Last year, not so much. The drafts coming up are the best way for this team to acquire an all star/franchise player. 

They have to continue to draft well and develop the players like they've been doing. Grouping together a Schröder, Prince, and a well developed future pick could net you a cornerstone player.

Draft and develop young assets, group them together for something bigger would be my plan as it stands.    

• Premium Member

So there's no mistake... I exaggerated when I said "wake me up Friday".... actually, I will watch, but I guess my point really is I'm going to watch having no pre-draft inclinations, and giving the Colonel total trust that he knows what he's doing better than I will. Very different attitude for me.