• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Day Before the Draft, Who Do the Hawks Pick?

KB21

Realistic players I'd be happy with drafting at 19:

Justin Jackson

OG Anunoby 

John Collins 

Justin Patton

Players I'd be okay with drafting:

Jordan Bell

Semi Ojelye

Anzejs Pasecniks

Jawun Evans (to a lesser extent)

I wanted them at 31, but really like them.

Jarrett Allen is a real possibility, but I'm not too big of a fan as. TJ Leaf will be a good enough role player I think, but he'd be my last choice out of all the previous guys. I wouldn't hate Motley or even Swanigan either but really would want them in the second.

Edited by CP61

• Premium Member

My attitude about who we actually draft remains the same--Travis gets to make this honeymoon call because this is why he evidently was hired, ie, a shrewd judge of talent. I'll acquiesce to his judgment, at least this first year.... then we'll see how it goes.

41 is a whole new set of targets. I really loved having the 31st pick.

41:

Dillon Brooks, Frank Mason, Deonte Burton, Sterling Brown, Devin Robinson, Josh Hart, Jon Motley, Tyler Dorsey, Sindarius Thornwell, PJ Dozier. 

Of those I'd prolly take Sterling Brown. I gotta say it again though, Deonte Burton has one of the funnest highlight reels I've seen in a while. 

Edited by DBac
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hawk88 said:

I think I would reach a little for DJ Wilson.  6-10 athletic can shoot the 3.  We need everything so why not?

Also like Bam with Kentucky.

I was a fan of dj, but I watched a couple of non tourney games and he is too soft to be a starting pf in my opinion. At least as a pf.  

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-basketball/former-bluejay-standout-justin-patton-returns-to-omaha-for-perspective/article_5dbd846e-5d62-51e3-b911-749aeafcfd5c.html

Patton said he’s worked out for Portland, Denver, Charlotte, Detroit and Atlanta

So, Justin Patton has worked out for Atlanta, and it has been conspicuously unreported by the Hawks.  I find it interesting/intriguing that Atlanta has released the names of players they have worked out, but they apparently didn't release Justin's.  This is also Justin stating that he has worked out in Atlanta, so I do not see a reason for him to fabricate that.  

I have also noticed that Ike Anigbogu has been getting some projections to Atlanta recently.  In draftexpress's most recent update, they have the Hawks taking Anigbogu.  He has not worked out for Atlanta though:

He said he had individual workouts with the Nets, Heat, Magic, Pacers, Pistons, Raptors, Jazz, Blazers, Thunder and Spurs and was interviewed by the Lakers. 

I've seen nothing on whether Bam Adebayo has worked out for the Hawks.  

I stand by my initial prediction.  The Hawks are targeting Jarrett Allen and Justin Patton.  If both are off the board, then I'm really uncertain about what they do.  The only other big they have worked out is Anzejs Pasecniks.  They could go with the stretch four in TJ Leaf.  Jordan Bell is a guy who 92.9 has been pushing for the Hawks.  If those two are off the board, it could also mean that Justin Jackson is available.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, Justin Patton has worked out for Atlanta, and it has been conspicuously unreported by the Hawks.  I find it interesting/intriguing that Atlanta has released the names of players they have worked out, but they apparently didn't release Justin's.  This is also Justin stating that he has worked out in Atlanta, so I do not see a reason for him to fabricate that.  

Agree that it's odd, and potentially meaningful... though not automatically so. I suppose one could argue that they like the player, but don't want to give teams behind them reason to think they need to trade up ahead of them. Still, it's not like Patton hasn't been projected well-ahead of the Hawks slot anyhow, so not sure who would really consider their lack of announcing the workout all that consequential.

Could also be as simple as an oversight by whoever was charged with putting the info out there, of course.

Me, I do like what I've seen of the player.

I have no idea who we're going to pick but I have a feeling that John Collins is someone we'll be be very interested in if he's still there. He isn't the definition of the modern NBA big and that will make him last longer than he probably should based on his skill level. 

My alternate in case he's gone is TJ Leaf. @sturt said all that needs to be said about him and I wouldn't be mad at his selection at all.

1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

My alternate in case he's gone is TJ Leaf. @sturt said all that needs to be said about him and I wouldn't be mad at his selection at all.

TJ Leaf is the next Ryan Leaf.

If you've seen a Leaf you've seen them all...

I'm gonna bet the Hawks take a Justin. Jackson or Patton. Funny how I was very anti Patton a couple days ago, but I've come around.i just didn't want a center at 19. He's got the highest ceiling of any center this year though, and will get good minutes with Dwighy gone. 

• Premium Member

Sounds like Jackson is the only one who nearly universally is projected in top 20.

Wonder if, when Schlenk said they're looking at 9 possibilities at #19, all 9 of those are in fact guys they worked out. If so, it makes you wonder how they'll handle it if someone like Collins--who they didn't work out but who appears to be a candidate for sliding down to us--does just that.

Including Patton who has said he worked out for ATL, these are the other 8 who appear to have the highest regard of those we appear to have worked out, fwiw:

2017-06-21_2249.png

• Like 2

This close to the draft, I believe the guy we should probably pay the most attention to is the guy who covers the Hawks on a daily basis and has the majority of the sources.  That would be Chris Vivlamore from the AJC.

http://atlantahawks.blog.ajc.com/2017/06/22/draft-day-thread-best-player-available/

He is listing 5 players who are likely options with the 19th pick:

Justin Jackson, SG/SF, North Carolina

Jarrett Allen, C, Texas

OG Anunoby, SF/PF, Indiana

Justin Patton, C, Creighton

Ike Anigbogu, C, UCLA

My guess is, he has heard something about the Hawks interest in all 5 of these players, and how the draft board falls will determine who they take.  My hope is that they go with Jackson, who I think is the most functional two way player on the list. 

5 minutes ago, ATLSmith said:

OMG! Draft day hype just hit me!!!

Whoa, whoa ... whoa, calm down, ATLSmiff ..

excited2.gif

Nice gloves, tho.

Seriously though, I really think Patton is gonna be the pick.  Must've wow'd them in his workout.  We've heard little about it.  Only thing that's happened since then is Howard being traded.  I highly doubt they'd set themselves up to start a rook from day 1 so Plumlee's the bridge.

The thing with OG Anunoby is that he is an absolute monster defensively.  His metrics relative to blocked shots and steals are elite.  He legitimately as the potential to defend 5 positions in the NBA a la Draymond Green.

Where he is lagging though is on offense.  His shot isn't broke, and his percentages aren't terrible, but he's not an offensive threat at this point in his development and may never be.   So, if you take him, you may very well be getting a one way player even though that one way is elite. 

With that said, a coach like Mike Budenholzer has shown the ability to extract efficient offense out of players with what some may be considered limited overall skills on offense.  If he can get something out of Anunoby from an offensive standpoint, with his elite defense, he's a star. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The thing with OG Anunoby is that he is an absolute monster defensively.  His metrics relative to blocked shots and steals are elite.  He legitimately as the potential to defend 5 positions in the NBA a la Draymond Green.

Where he is lagging though is on offense.  His shot isn't broke, and his percentages aren't terrible, but he's not an offensive threat at this point in his development and may never be.   So, if you take him, you may very well be getting a one way player even though that one way is elite. 

With that said, a coach like Mike Budenholzer has shown the ability to extract efficient offense out of players with what some may be considered limited overall skills on offense.  If he can get something out of Anunoby from an offensive standpoint, with his elite defense, he's a star. 

No one goes from being a bad offensive player (which is what this kid is) to being a star or elite.  Budz is not a wizard.

The one phrase I think we need to retire is, "So-and-so will be a star in our system".  A star is a star regardless of system.  That's the player we need.  No more reclamation projects or reaches.  That's the reverse-Spursian system we've been subjected to the last few years where they're building as if the star(s) are already in place.

Kawhi Leonard says  hello.  Contrary to popular opinion, Kawhi wasn't a great offensive player in college.  He was a high volume guy whose efficiency numbers were among the worst in that draft.  The Spurs took his talents, honed them, and made him a superstar level player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Kawhi Leonard says  hello.  Contrary to popular opinion, Kawhi wasn't a great offensive player in college.  He was a high volume guy whose efficiency numbers were among the worst in that draft.  The Spurs took his talents, honed them, and made him a superstar level player.

Apples to oranges.  Kawhii was a good offensive player who needed refinement.  This OG kid can barely find the basket if you gave him a ladder and a flashlight.

May as well trade for Roberson and get it over with.

31 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Whoa, whoa ... whoa, calm down, ATLSmiff ..

excited2.gif

Nice gloves, tho.

Seriously though, I really think Patton is gonna be the pick.  Must've wow'd them in his workout.  We've heard little about it.  Only thing that's happened since then is Howard being traded.  I highly doubt they'd set themselves up to start a rook from day 1 so Plumlee's the bridge.

I doubt the Dwight trade has anything to do with Patton. That was happening regardless I'm sure. Patton could very well be the pick though. I'm hoping he will be on the board still at 19. I just can't get too excited about him because of his poor free throw shooting. If that was more respectable, I would be so hyped about him, but even now I'd be happy with him.