• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Day Before the Draft, Who Do the Hawks Pick?

KB21

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Okay, I now feel there's at least some direction... and I am awake after all.

Put me down for some TJ Leaf.

I see some "Blake Griffin Junior" to his game... in terms of mobility and hops, not in terms of bulk. He competes for balls underneath, but he's not the bully that Griffin is.

But damn, he seems a better passer and he's got one helluva 3 point shot. I'll take that trade-off, and cross my fingers that he adds some additional muscle in his thighs and abdomen over time.

After Plumlee and Belinelli, I don't think we will add a white guy with #19...I'm just sayin...

Plus Ryan Leaf is a bust IMHO ...

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, CP61 said:

So 41 instead of 31. I'd be happier with Frank Mason there than at 31. Hopefully one of the few guys who I liked at 31 will be there. Mason III, White, Kuzma, Pasecniks (he won't), Bell (not a chance), or Hart

Looking at the big board numbers, I don't think anyone has a real good sense of who is going to be gone after the first 20 players. So who's left #31 versus who is going at #41? Nearly a total crap shoot. Don't be surprised if none of those guys remain at #41, and don't be surprised if every one of them is left.

• Like 1

Well.... I think Jawun Evans or Swaningan or Patton or Anigbogu are going to be available at 31 and not at 41... And that is going to be a major fail... Assuming Hawks wpuld be smart enough to select them that is a big If... Not having much faith in our new GM after yesterday

45 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Well.... I think Jawun Evans or Swaningan or Patton or Anigbogu are going to be available at 31 and not at 41... And that is going to be a major fail... Assuming Hawks wpuld be smart enough to select them that is a big If... Not having much faith in our new GM after yesterday

More moves are probably in the works to get us another pick in the 20s. Portland has 2 picks in the 20s in addition to their lottery pick and already has a full roster. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

More moves are probably in the works to get us another pick in the 20s. Portland has 2 picks in the 20s in addition to their lottery pick and already has a full roster. 

Yeah, there was a story yesterday that POR wants to keep #15 but their other 2 1sts are available.  Problem is, they want to attach one of their awful contracts for the privilege to take them.  Not sure it'd be worth it.

Lastly, if the Howard trade means we're no longer in the range to pick Swanigan then I'm happy.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Given our workouts and estimated draft slotting on mocks, I wonder if bud and gang like Dwayne bacon based on his workout with us? That 41st pick seems like the more likely slot for him.

I was thinking the same thing. He might be the steal of the Draft at #41.

54 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, there was a story yesterday that POR wants to keep #15 but their other 2 1sts are available.  Problem is, they want to attach one of their awful contracts for the privilege to take them.  Not sure it'd be worth it.

Lastly, if the Howard trade means we're no longer in the range to pick Swanigan then I'm happy.

If Schlenkholzer pulls off ridding us of D8 AND lands us the 20th or 26th instead of the 31st/41st pick, I'll be one happy Hazer. Who wants the 19th and 20th bundled for a Top 10? Phone lines are now open...

Edited by hazer

5 minutes ago, hazer said:

If Schlenkholzer pulls off ridding us of D8 AND lands us the 20th or 26th instead of the 31st/41st pick, I'll be one happy Hazer. Who wants the 19th and 20th bundled for a Top 10? Phone lines are now open...

I'd be ok with that as well if it's coupled with a SnT of Sap.  Now that Howard's been traded, I think I'm more open to us going through a more involved retooling.

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd be ok with that as well if it's coupled with a SnT of Sap.  Now that Howard's been traded, I think I'm more open to us going through a more involved retooling.

Go all in Schlenkholzer! Dumped D8, SnT Sap, trade for one of Portland's picks in the 20s, bundle with the 19th and move into the Top 10. Holy $hit, where's the Tylenol, I need a drink...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Their worst contract by far is Allen Cranbbe's. It's worse than Bazemore's. If the Hawks did get him and 20, it means the Hawks are tanking for three years because Plumlee, Crabbe, and Baze would cripple the Hawks ability to sign high end free agents. I don't think it's the worst trade in the world. We could potentially come away with 2 future starters in this draft, and then in 3 years after we aren't in cap trouble, and have had , hopefully, 7 more first round picks on the roster the Hawks can be an attractive free agent destination.

10 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Their worst contract by far is Allen Cranbbe's. It's worse than Bazemore's. If the Hawks did get him and 20, it means the Hawks are tanking for three years because Plumlee, Crabbe, and Baze would cripple the Hawks ability to sign high end free agents. I don't think it's the worst trade in the world. We could potentially come away with 2 future starters in this draft, and then in 3 years after we aren't in cap trouble, and have had , hopefully, 7 more first round picks on the roster the Hawks can be an attractive free agent destination.

Crabbe is a better player than Baze, IMHO.  I wouldn't like having him on that contract but I'd feel more comfortable with it than Baze's.

Ideally Schlenkholzer can move Blaze then get their 20th or 26th. Bundle with the 19th and move into the Top 10. Be rid of Blaze, Sap, and D8 and have a Top 10 pick THIS year. Sweet mother of Mary, Exec of the Year. Otherwise, ouch...

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Crabbe is a better player than Baze, IMHO.  I wouldn't like having him on that contract but I'd feel more comfortable with it than Baze's.

Ideally Schlenkholzer can move Blaze then get their 20th or 26th. Bundle with the 19th and move into the Top 10. Be rid of Blaze, Sap, and D8 and have a Top 10 pick THIS year. Sweet mother of Mary, Exec of the Year. Otherwise, if there aren't more moves in store, ouch...

Just now, hazer said:

Ideally Schlenkholzer can move Blaze then get their 20th or 26th. Bundle with the 19th and move into the Top 10. Be rid of Blaze, Sap, and D8 and have a Top 10 pick THIS year. Sweet mother of Mary, Exec of the Year. Otherwise, if there aren't more moves in store, ouch...

It would cost us a pick to get rid of Baze. Maybe taking the Crabbe or Turner contract for an extra first round pick, and then moving 41 away for Bazemore could be a good possibility. 

If there are no more moves or workouts, I think this is my final thoughts draft wise:

#19:

1. Justin Jackson
2. Jarrett Allen
3. Justin Patton

Or trade down a few spots and take Derrick White or Kyle Kuzma.

#41:

Whoever is left of the Derrick White/Josh Hart/Sindarius Thornwell group or Johnathan Motley, Dwayne Bacon, Monte Morris, or Frank Mason.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, hazer said:

In this draft, I think I'd need a #8 before I would give up #19 and #20... might be different if we weren't turning over the roster as much as we almost certainly are.

Crabbe has a trade kicker, so he'll be a $20 mil player for us. Can't advocate getting him without moving Baze.

Dunleavy's non guaranteed contract can be in play. Get Noah Vonleh (not really a fan) and pick #20 for Dunleavy (waived)  Portland saves $8 mil.

27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Crabbe has a trade kicker, so he'll be a $20 mil player for us. Can't advocate getting him without moving Baze.

Dunleavy's non guaranteed contract can be in play. Get Noah Vonleh (not really a fan) and pick #20 for Dunleavy (waived)  Portland saves $8 mil.

im sure they can get a team with a ton of space to take one of their awful contracts. You gotta remember Brooklyn has no incentive to lose and suck too bad to get free agents. They offered Crabbe the contract the Blazers matched in the first place. I think they will be taking bad contracts for picks, and offering guys like THJ huge deals to try and not be the worst team in the league.