• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Day Before the Draft, Who Do the Hawks Pick?

KB21

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, KB21 said:

This close to the draft, I believe the guy we should probably pay the most attention to is the guy who covers the Hawks on a daily basis and has the majority of the sources.  

In most cities for most beat writers, this would be the natural assumption. You're right.

In Atlanta?

Hmmm...

Addendum:

Remember, this is the guy who shows up a half hour LATER after a national reporter has tweeted out something... e.g., Dwight's been traded or whatever... to say I CAN CONFIRM THAT DWIGHT HOWARD HAS BEEN TRADED.

To the roll of Hawk fans' eyes everywhere.

We'll see if any of that changes under Schlenk, but so far, I'm not seeing it.

• Like 1

I will be fine with Patton as the pick but he's a year away from seriously being able to play because of his body. Not skill, body. He's still too thin and he might not be able to put on much more weight.

His basic skill set is fine, he needs to keep developing it.

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I will be fine with Patton as the pick but he's a year away from seriously being able to play because of his body. Not skill, body. He's still too thin and he might not be able to put on much more weight.

His basic skill set is fine, he needs to keep developing it.

If your hoping a rookie is going to be good his first year, your gonna have a bad time.

• Like 1

Whoa, whoa ... whoa, calm down, ATLSmiff ..

excited2.gif&key=d4c2011f0ce208f911f4b206a1f5c6ea939319637b4dfa427fc31757da9cf79f

Nice gloves, tho.

Seriously though, I really think Patton is gonna be the pick.  Must've wow'd them in his workout.  We've heard little about it.  Only thing that's happened since then is Howard being traded.  I highly doubt they'd set themselves up to start a rook from day 1 so Plumlee's the bridge.

Probably a good thing I cant actually see gifs in this app....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

Intrigues me that you've got in the work out group Jackson, then about 7 bigs if these media outlets' big boards are to be given credibility.

Suggests that Schlenk maybe really values Jackson as a gem, particularly when you remember we just drafted a similar sized player with our first pick last year.

And on cue as I write that... we get this over in the Twitter feed...

2017-06-22_1337.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ATLSmith said:

Probably a good thing I cant actually see gifs in this app....

It's a very flattering, respectful gif for you. :happy:

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Intrigues me that you've got in the work out group Jackson, then about 7 bigs if these media outlets' big boards are to be given credibility.

Suggests that Schlenk maybe really values Jackson as a gem, particularly when you remember we just drafted a similar sized player with our first pick last year.

2017-06-22_1337.png

In Schlenk I trust. Gotta get a good one.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

2017-06-22_1337.png

Im not against it! I just want to know how???

• Like 1

So its really possible if we stay big tonight we could have Bam/Patton/Allen at #19 and Motley at #41 and have the future rotation guys for the power spots. Skills and upside vary but they all would help at some point. My thing with Patton at the moment is do believe he is more of a gazelle type of PF as opposed to C. Doesn't feel like Schlenk would come out of this tonight without a three point threat thats a wing though. We need both of course but I like big tonight with a possible Tim signing later. 

My big board for the Hawks. This is based on fit with the Hawks since I should be their GM. I’m not including anyone that’s clearly outside of our trade up range.

Let me first answer the topic question. We should draft Justin Patton and Jonah Bolden. We will draft TJ Leaf and Ike Anigbogu /Sindarius Thornwell

Guys we would have trade up for.

1. Lauri Markkanen – Would be a star in coach Bud’s system. Perfect fit for Bud.

2. Donovan Mitchell – Poor Man’s D-Wade or rich man’s Eric Gordon with D.

3. John Collins – Super productive big that needs to get better on D, but has the physical tools to be a good defender. Will eventually stretch out to NBA 3.

4. Zach Collins – I’m not as high on him as everyone else, but he you would need to trade up to get him.

Targets at pick 19

1. Justin Patton – Rik Smits with D and athleticism. Has a chance to be the best big in the draft. The dunking Oklahoman?

2. Justin Jackson – Cross between Tayshaun Prince and Tobias Harris. Less D than Prince but more O and less O than Tobias, but more D.

3. Luke Kennard – Elite Shooter and Floor spacer from day 1. Will get over drafted, will likely be gone before this pick.  Slightly bigger JJ Redick

4. TJ Leaf – He’s a better athlete than given credit for. Great fit for Bud’s system, and his bad D is exaggerated. Reminds me a lot of Christian Laettner.

Injured High Upside players to take a flyer on if the 4 above are gone.

1. Harry Giles – Very good chance he could be gone by 19 even with the two ACL injuries. Top 10 pick without injuries; tons of potential.

2. OG Anunoby – Reminds me of Ron Artest. Has the tools to be a top defender in the NBA, can defend 3 positions. Offense is raw, but has tools. Indiana’s season fell apart when he got hurt(Impact).

Raw Bigs with Potential

1. Bam Adebayo – Every team needs a guy named Bam. What Dwight Howard was supposed to be in a smaller package that can switch on the perimeter.

2. Jarret Allen -

3. Ivan Rabb – He reminds me of Marcus Camby. Great rebounder good in the mid-range.

If all of these guys are gone I would probably trade down and try and pick up the Lakers 27 and 28.

Players we won’t be able to get because we traded down from 31.

1. Derrick White – PG/SG combo and much needed secondary ball handler for the Hawks. Can play with Schröder or Tim Hardaway interchangeably. Late Bloomer that had only 1 division 2 offer.

2. Semi Ojeleye – Crazy combine numbers and athlete, but needs tons of space to show that level of athleticism on the court. The ball really slows him down. Rodney Rodgers reincarnated.

3. Jordan Bell – Bigger Bo Outlaw, some of the best combine numbers I’ve ever seen on a big. Freak athlete that really good defensively and rebounding.

4. Jawun Evans – PG backup that’s needed. Underrated player.

5. Kyle Kuzma – Stretch big athlete, that doesn’t shoot that well but could in the future.

6. Caleb Swanigan – Less post skilled , less athletic Al Jefferson with 3 point range. He will really struggle defensively in the NBA, and will likely have to play center in the NBA because of lack of foot speed.

Targets at 41

1. Josh Hart – Probably will be gone, but everyone is calling him the Malcom Brogdon of this draft.

2. Jonah Bolden – I think will end up with him. Stretch athlete with that needs to be coached on shot selection. This is a good pick.

3. Jonathan Motley – A bigger less athletic version of Jordan Bell that can actually shoot a little bit. Reminds me of Montrezl Harrell too.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

I have no idea who we're going to pick but I have a feeling that John Collins is someone we'll be be very interested in if he's still there. He isn't the definition of the modern NBA big and that will make him last longer than he probably should based on his skill level. 

My alternate in case he's gone is TJ Leaf. @sturt said all that needs to be said about him and I wouldn't be mad at his selection at all.

Damn I love being right! Cannot be happier that he fell to us. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

Damn I love being right! Cannot be happier that he fell to us. 

You called it man I never would have though he would be there. Taurean Prince was 3rd on my big board last year and John Collins was this year. Hmm who will be 3rd on my board next year. I think John Collins has a chance to be one of the top players in this draft; if Bud can get his defense right. He has the size an athleticism to be a good defender, so he just needs the coaching. Back to back good drafts by the Hawks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

And btw.... I always try to be fair... C-Viv drafted Collins in the beat writers' mock, so he had to feel good about that. Did he know something @KB21? Maybe he did. But then again, I think almost everyone had him going in the top 15 and so it was every bit the no-brainer that Schlenk made it out to be once it developed that way.

• Like 1