• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OK,Ok, ok...we are tanking

DJlaysitup

Just now, Thomas said:

Jordan Bell anyone?

Hell yes! Gimme Semi,Bell, or Bam Bam...GET A REAL MAN IN HERE!!!! A GROWN MAN!!!!

(apologizes to whoever is still on our roster)..

14 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

When you're a franchise that can't attract FA's and have limited assets... How are going to put a title team together by retooling?

Let's watch ;)

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

The GM has Dennis, Prince, spare parts and a slew of picks that couldn't even land a rental of George or Butler. That's not a lot to hang your hat on.

Let's watch ;)

They did snag a lottery player at 19th without giving anything away. That's already a steal in their very 1st draft move ;)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, hazer said:

It's a retool, not a tank...

Grabbing a PF with the highest PER in the entire draft tells me Illyasovavichkovchev is the starting 4 for the Hawks and that Sap is gone...

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My read is that if Schlenk had already abandoned the idea of Sap coming back, he would not have been so insistent in the radio interview he did several days ago to correct the conventional assumption that he was preparing the fans for the worst when he made the remark about other teams possibly making better offers. To me, he made a special effort to correct that conclusion, and because he really didn't have to do that, that persuades me Plan A is to get him back (for now at least).

I'm still not sure I can swallow the idea that there are teams out there willing to give him max dollars for 4 years, and I'm guessing Schlenk would agree with that and is anticipating that, short of that happening, he's going to have a compelling offer to put on the table to Sap. I'm not saying he won't be outbid in the end, but if Sap leaves, I think it will be for some situation that to him promises a better opportunity to contend.

I also don't think who we drafted had much of anything to do with Sap. Going into the draft, there was clearly plenty of bigs that a team drafting #19 would necessarily have at the top of their board.

8 hours ago, hazer said:

Grabbing a PF with the highest PER in the entire draft tells me Illyasovavichkovchev is the starting 4 for the Hawks and that Sap is gone...

Seems very likely, since Schlenk is adamant about available cap space.

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Travis Schlenk: "We are not in a rebuild phase.”

I don't believe anything Schlenk says. Less than a month ago he said Dwight had a spot on this team. I consider him a typical old school GM. Take anything he says to the media with a huge grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I don't believe anything Schlenk says. Less than a month ago he said Dwight had a spot on this team. I consider him a typical old school GM. Take anything he says to the media with a huge grain of salt.

I feel like he needs some experience speaking with the media.

As long as his basketball decisions are sound, I don't mind him outting his foot in his mouth a couple times.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Travis Schlenk: "We are not in a rebuild phase.”

Will be very interesting to see what free agency and the rest of the summer holds for us if we are looking to contend this season.  Lots of work to do to bridge where we are now to becoming a legit threat.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, DennistheMenace17 said:

I would use a better word like cascading, but yah.. down we go (maybe)

Right. I'm in that camp that believes "rebuild" can mean different things to different people. There are degrees. Philly's rebuild is one extreme, GSW's rebuild is the other. The former would be called tanking, the latter would be... yeah... cascading maybe is a good word.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, AHF said:

Will be very interesting to see what free agency and the rest of the summer holds for us if we are looking to contend this season.  Lots of work to do to bridge where we are now to becoming a legit threat.

"A legit threat".... as-in for playoffs or for more than that?

I mean, I agree either way, but obviously one is a much lower threshold than the other, and I don't think any of us at this point imagine that Schlenk is aiming for being a legit threat to CLE or BOS in 2018 (... right?).

• Moderators
Just now, sturt said:

"A legit threat".... as-in for playoffs or for more than that?

I mean, I agree either way, but obviously one is a much lower threshold than the other, and I don't think any of us at this point imagine that Schlenk is aiming for being a legit threat to CLE or BOS in 2018 (... right?).

I don't know why you would aspire to anything else but plenty of work either way.

I agree that despite whatever he might say in an interview, Schlenk cannot think this team is a threat to do anything more than an absolute best of punching their ticket to the postseason and then getting punched out of the playoffs with little to no prospect of threatening the best teams in the conference.