• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks reportedly sign Josh Magette

Bankingitbig

20 hours ago, Diesel said:

We R tanking.... but exciting.

So this signing has convinced you that we are tanking and replacing Dennis with a D-league pg?  And that we're exciting?  Could you provide some concrete information that backs this up or are you just projecting what you think is going to happen as reality?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Not sure from what I've read here that there's a general understanding of two-way contracts. Go to the glossary page on hoops rumors for a better breakdown, but essentially we just signed the first player to our new d-league team... and we get two such contracts to divvy out that give us exclusive rights to call up as needed.

Some more highlights... 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 10:36 PM, CP61 said:

I mean yeah 15 points and 7 assists would make him an isncredible player.

I more was thinking along the lines of 8 ppg - 4 asst . . . but with 45% FG and 38% 3FG shooting.  That means he could come in and really affect the game in a short amount of time, with 3 point shooting and finding open shooters.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Btw, maybe more significant than the signing itself, who do you think was the prime mover in getting Magette signed? Did Schlenk already have him on his radar and went for it, or do you think (as I do) that this was Bud's guy?

If it's Bud's guy, then at least it would serve as some evidence that Schlenk isn't just all-talk in his "this is a partnership" mantra. Right? I'd say that's reason for some encouragement for those of us suspicious that this may be already a somewhat-strained relationship b/t the two.

5 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I more was thinking along the lines of 8 ppg - 4 asst . . . but with 45% FG and 38% 3FG shooting.  That means he could come in and really affect the game in a short amount of time, with 3 point shooting and finding open shooters.

I meant that was literally half of what he did in the clip. I don't actually think he's going to come close to those numbers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Beginning to wonder about the validity of this report, just because many of the two-way contracts by now have been getting announced by the teams. Nothing against Magette personally, but everyone paying any attention knows I have other ideas for how I'd like to see the Colonel use our two openings, and there are at least two PGs ahead of Magette on the list I sent over to him granting my approval.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sillent said:

I posted that Magette signed a contract with us before the summer league started. I guess news is just getting out.

Just to be clear, I dredged up this thread b/c, again, it's getting curious why everyone else has announced officially one or both of their two-ways, but nothing out of ATL HQ. Looking back, was there any report from someone we've come to respect on this? Alex Kennedy, as memory serves, isn't particularly reliable.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/07/201718-nba-two-way-contract-tracker.html

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, sturt said:

Just to be clear, I dredged up this thread b/c, again, it's getting curious why everyone else has announced officially one or both of their two-ways, but nothing out of ATL HQ. Looking back, was there any report from someone we've come to respect on this? Alex Kennedy, as memory serves, isn't particularly reliable.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/07/201718-nba-two-way-contract-tracker.html

He was on our roster last year for training camp, so the two-way contract signing isn't that big of a surprise.

AJC reported on it too.http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/magette-gets-new-path-nba-with-two-way-contract/ziuhdFsk4mJUlHAHReC3KI/

Agree with you on Alex Kennedy though.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

AJC reported on it too

Now that you post that, I guess I must've just pushed it to the dark corners of my brain.

Darn.

I'm not sure what moves a team in a re-build to think it's a good use of the 2-way to sign a player who will be 28 friggin years old in the first month of the season.

• Like 1