• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our fan base isn't strong enough for us to tank!!

Wurider05

7 minutes ago, hazer said:

New owner, new GM, new coach. Yeah, no reason whatsoever. That's like treating your wife a certain way because of past girlfriends' actions. Smart way to think...

Because half the team isn't even on the team yet? And Slinky snagged a consensus lottery pick at 19th with his very 1st pick as new GM?

So you are crediting Slinky with Collins dropping several places in the draft order?  Did he manipulate the other GMs to not draft Collins earlier?

6 minutes ago, Watchman said:

May I remind you that Billy Knight was regarded with a great sense of optimism too.  We know how that worked out.  None of Slinky's moves up to this point have done anything to foster a sense of optimism.

Had Knight just helped take GS from lottery to dynasty in 7 years with less to work with than the Hawks?

Just now, Watchman said:

So you are crediting Slinky with Collins dropping several places in the draft order?  Did he manipulate the other GMs to not draft Collins earlier?

I'm crediting him with having the savvy to pull the trigger on snagging him. Unlike Knight pulling the trigger on The Duck and passing over CP3. Need more rope? I have miles of it ;)

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Had Knight just helped take GS from lottery to dynasty in 7 years with less to work with than the Hawks?

He was the assistant GM with Memphis, which at that time was doing very well.  I do not know how much Slinky had to do with GS turnaround or not.  Maybe he was highly influential.  You seem to think so.  Maybe you're right.  Even Knight didn't take on a $12.5 million per year contract on a bum like Plumlee though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hazer said:

It took Slinky, as a part of a management team that took a GSW squad from lottery to dynasty, only 7 years to domination. A GSW team that was, as he pointed out, much worse off than the Hawks currently are as he's taking over. That's what makes me sure it won't be 8 year lottery toiling, as you're claiming.

I know this isn't how it happened, but how would things have played out for that 7 year build in Golden State had Stephen Curry not been available at the 7th pick in 2009?  I linked an article the other day where Larry Riley, GS's GM at that time, said that had Curry not been on the board, they would have taken Jordan Hill.  That alone, would have changed everything for the Warriors..  They got Curry, and everything else is history.  

I can understand having faith in the scouting staff, but no matter how good they are at identifying talent, the draft is still a crap shoot with all these 19 year old prospects that you simply don't know whether they can play or not.  

• Like 1

Hazer, I really hope Schlenk can perform miracles for us.  I really do, but it troubles me that we're just letting Millsap dangle in the breeze.  The man has been our best player for at least three years, and we're just basically ignoring him.  To me that does not bode well for encouraging free agents to come here.  I think showing a sense of loyalty is still important in retaining good talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Watchman said:

He was the assistant GM with Memphis, which at that time was doing very well.  I do not know how much Slinky had to do with GS turnaround or not.  Maybe he was highly influential.  You seem to think so.  Maybe you're right.  Even Knight didn't take on a $12.5 million per year contract on a bum like Plumlee though.

Slinky was there for over a decade, and came highly recommended/acclaimed from none other than Jerry West as a huge part of GSW's successful ascent. I'll take that. This roster is FAR from complete, whether Bumlee stays remains to be seen. It moved an incompatible Dwight, who many thought was unmovable, out the door. My hope is that Bumlee is shipped out, remains to be seen...

6 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Hazer, I really hope Schlenk can perform miracles for us.  I really do, but it troubles me that we're just letting Millsap dangle in the breeze.  The man has been our best player for at least three years, and we're just basically ignoring him.  To me that does not bode well for encouraging free agents to come here.  I think showing a sense of loyalty is still important in retaining good talent.

We can agree on that. I say give the man 3 years 80-90mill, with a player option on the 3rd year. I have several posts in another thread going to bat for Sap about that very thing.

Edited by hazer

20 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Start with this post of mine and read downward. I think we have common ground there.

55 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I know this isn't how it happened, but how would things have played out for that 7 year build in Golden State had Stephen Curry not been available at the 7th pick in 2009?  I linked an article the other day where Larry Riley, GS's GM at that time, said that had Curry not been on the board, they would have taken Jordan Hill.  That alone, would have changed everything for the Warriors..  They got Curry, and everything else is history.  

I can understand having faith in the scouting staff, but no matter how good they are at identifying talent, the draft is still a crap shoot with all these 19 year old prospects that you simply don't know whether they can play or not.  

I don't want to take anything away from Schlenk, but it's amazing to me the credit GM's and coaches of transcendent talent get.  They got lucky with Curry.

Positively GS also picked Barnes, Draymond, and Klay.  Shows a possible successful approach, but it's unrealistic to expect Schlenk can repeat a draft run like that.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

I don't want to take anything away from Schlenk, but it's amazing to me the credit GM's and coaches of transcendent talent get.  They got lucky with Curry.

Positively GS also picked Barnes, Draymond, and Klay.  Shows a possible successful approach, but it's unrealistic to expect Schlenk can repeat a draft run like that.  

More unrealistic to have us focus on winning in the short term and expect the team to get any closer to true contender without a superstar.  I agree we could possibly stay in the playoffs for a bit or swim near .500 making moves to try to win now ala Phoenix.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

More unrealistic to have us focus on winning in the short term and expect the team to get any closer to true contender without a superstar.  I agree we could possibly stay in the playoffs for a bit or swim near .500 making moves to try to win now ala Phoenix.

Hawks was never going to get any closer anyways, they can rebuild and the results will remain the same. In the next 30 years, the city may be lucky enough to have this team gone.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, DBac said:

Gotta rip the bandaid off. Continuing the mediocre path will only lead to less enthusiasm for the team anyway.

The 60 win team had pretty solid attendance, this town will bandwagon if it's good and fun imo.

This is the same BS I keep hearing on the radio (92.9 the game). hawks have NEVER won a title but all of a sudden hawks are to good for just making the playoff ,blowing up a "mediocre " team will get you what?and empty arena or better yet a renovated arena full of the other team colors lol. am I missing something? How can you have such high standers all of a sudden? you have to spend to win in the NBA. ...I.E .....MIAMI,HEAT,GS  ... And just for the record I enjoyed going to the playoff every year and having a chance of winning... now they want me to watch my team struggle cause you can't or don't want to pay for a super star you wanna win a title with average players and the system...gtfo here....

11 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Hawks was never going to get any closer anyways, they can rebuild and the results will remain the same. In the next 30 years, the city may be lucky enough to have this team gone.

I was right with you until you started talking about the team being gone. and how would the city be lucky without  a basketball team in a major city? that's crazy talk

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LeoButler said:

This is the same BS I keep hearing on the radio (92.9 the game). hawks have NEVER won a title but all of a sudden hawks are to good for just making the playoff ,blowing up a "mediocre " team will get you what?and empty arena or better yet a renovated arena full of the other team colors lol. am I missing something? How can you have such high standers all of a sudden? you have to spend to win in the NBA. ...I.E .....MIAMI,HEAT,GS  ... And just for the record I enjoyed going to the playoff every year and having a chance of winning... now they want me to watch my team struggle cause you can't or don't want to pay for a super star you wanna win a title with average players and the system...gtfo here....

The arena is already full of empty seats and fills up with other team's colors when the heavyweights come to town. No need for the quotations around mediocre, they won 43 games last year as one of the oldest teams in the NBA. Golden State built through the draft first. If you can convince me that a few superstars want to team up in Atlanta then lets go for it. Sadly, superstars don't want to come here, our only path to getting a superstar is to draft one or trade a massive haul (that we don't have at the moment) for one. 

How can I have such high standards? It's more like boredom. 10 years with 1 conference finals appearance and even then they got swept. And now yall want to reup when the rebuild is staring them right in the face? If they brought back Millsap, the team would virtually be the same garbage that they trotted out there last year. Last year was not fun in any shape or form.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DBac said:

The arena is already full of empty seats and fills up with other team's colors when the heavyweights come to town. No need for the quotations around mediocre, they won 43 games last year as one of the oldest teams in the NBA. Golden State built through the draft first. If you can convince me that a few superstars want to team up in Atlanta then lets go for it. Sadly, superstars don't want to come here, our only path to getting a superstar is to draft one or trade a massive haul (that we don't have at the moment) for one. 

How can I have such high standards? It's more like boredom. 10 years with 1 conference finals appearance and even then they got swept. And now yall want to reup when the rebuild is staring them right in the face? If they brought back Millsap, the team would virtually be the same garbage that they trotted out there last year. Last year was not fun in any shape or form.

Neither will the next ten years.

We shouldn't have to be strong enough. Any team that Tanks deserves a fanbase to walk out on them. A tanking team is basically saying FU to current fans and and season ticket holders. It is pretty much cheating.

The skill in building a winning team is you have to remain competitive and worth watching while trying to improve your roster. Teams that tank throw that out the window and expect fans to watch crap for years with the hope that "MAYBE" that gamble will pay off. If it doesn't pay off you just have a perpetually crappy team.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LeoButler said:

I was right with you until you started talking about the team being gone. and how would the city be lucky without  a basketball team in a major city? that's crazy talk

You rather keep a team that will always be looked at as a treadmill team and will never win a championship in the city of atlanta?