• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our fan base isn't strong enough for us to tank!!

Wurider05

28 minutes ago, Flight said:

If y'all want a cocky homegrown player might as well bring in Collin Sexton next year and trade Dennis lol

More realistically I'm thinking Miles Bridges. Passionate and athletic as hell. 

Collin played well at the hoop summit and fits the description though.

Hey I have a serious question to everyone. Why does anyone care about the fan base being bad? It's not like the Hawks are going to move. They can't for 30 years or Ressler has to pay the city $200 million. On top of that, he would have wasted hundreds of millions on the renovations and new facilities. So is it just that people don't like not being converged positively in the media? Or maybe people don't like going to games in empty crowds? Or that free agents won't come here because if fans? I don't know but the Hawks are as locked in to Atlanta as any team is to their city, so it doesn't really matter to me if the arena is empty. Just build a championship team no matter what it takes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CP61 said:

Hey I have a serious question to everyone. Why does anyone care about the fan base being bad? It's not like the Hawks are going to move. They can't for 30 years or Ressler has to pay the city $200 million. On top of that, he would have wasted hundreds of millions on the renovations and new facilities. So is it just that people don't like not being converged positively in the media? Or maybe people don't like going to games in empty crowds? Or that free agents won't come here because if fans? I don't know but the Hawks are as locked in to Atlanta as any team is to their city, so it doesn't really matter to me if the arena is empty. Just build a championship team no matter what it takes.

It's definitely something players care about. Our players have been doing everything short of outright begging fans to come out to support the team for years. Even when half of the arena is cheering for the other team the players seem to appreciate at least playing in front of a big crowd. Dwight said as much after one of the Knicks games. We would absolutely benefit from better fan support both on the court and in free agency. 

I wish the people going to Atlanta United games cared about basketball. They're already considered the best fans in MLS. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CP61 said:

Bingoooo. Atlanta is a top 5 hoops tv market. TNT and NBATV are right down the street. Basically will have a brand new arena. The Hawks aren't going anywhere. When they're winning 50+ games again in a few years, pull out all the stops to snag that swaggy/flashy star that ATLiens crave (Pistol, 'Nique, Neon, Vick, Justice) and the stands will fill up.

Edited by hazer

12 minutes ago, hazer said:

Bingoooo. Atlanta is a top 5 hoops tv market. TNT and NBATV are right down the street. Basically will have a brand new arena. The Hawks aren't going anywhere. When they're winning 50+ games again in a few years, pull out all the stops to snag that swaggy/flashy star that ATLiens crave (Pistol, 'Nique, Neon, Vick, Justice) and the stands will fill up.

How dare you put Vick and Justice in the same sentence together! You throw in pistol and now you've got some semblance of Justice though. 

Ps you forgot the guy the highlight factory was named for... Josh Smith. 

As to will Philips ever fill up? Gonna take more than highlights this time. It's gonna take a legit superstar AND winning. Other than that we are gonna be near the bottom like we always are. I expect this year to be the worst attendance wise in a long time unless something drastic happens in free agency. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

How dare you put Vick and Justice in the same sentence together! You throw in pistol and now you've got some semblance of Justice though. 

As to will Philips ever fill up? Gonna take more than highlights this time. It's gonna take a legit superstar AND winning. Other than that we are gonna be near the bottom like we always are. I expect this year to be the worst attendance wise in a long time unless something drastic happens in free agency. 

Just wait till the fans have to go through another 8+ year rebuild.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Just wait till the fans have to go through another 8+ year rebuild.  

That's just not happpening, and you know it. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

Left Smoove off the list intentionally. Swaggy/flashy hometown hero, yes. But not a difference-maker on the same star level as those others I listed. And not on the level of the guy Hawks will need to bring in here. If there turns out to be another hometown hero that materializes over the next 3-5 years who's on "star" level, even better. It was 5 years too late for Dwight...

Edited by hazer

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

Left Smoove off the list intentionally. Swaggy/flashy hometown hero, yes. But not a difference-maker on the same star level as those others I listed. And not on the level of the guy Hawks will need to bring in here. If there turns out to be another hometown hero that materializes over the next 3-5 years who's on "star" level, even better. It was 5 years too late for Dwight...

Someone like Smoove, but better. Someone like Dwight, but sooner.

17 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

When was the last time there was a absolute game changer in the draft?

I'll wait............

Is this a serious question? I hope you're being sarcastic 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hazer said:

So, what makes you so sure that not only will the team get a high pick, but a high pick in a draft that actually has a game changing talent?  And that game changing talent will be ready to play immediately?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, what makes you so sure that not only will the team get a high pick, but a high pick in a draft that actually has a game changing talent?  And that game changing talent will be ready to play immediately?

It took Slinky, as a part of a management team that took a GSW squad from lottery to dynasty, only 7 years to domination. A GSW team that was, as he pointed out, much worse off than the Hawks currently are as he's taking over. That's what makes me sure it won't be 8 year lottery toiling, as you're claiming.

Edited by hazer

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Hawks will have their lottery pick and probably Wolves 15-20 pick in '18. Slinky just picked a consensus lottery pick in Collins at 19th as his first draft order of bidness only 2 weeks in. I'm not "sure", but I'm definitely feeling it ;)

8 hours ago, hazer said:

All we have to go off of is the last "rebuild."  We don't have any reason to believe that things will be any different this time around.

Edited by Watchman

1 hour ago, hazer said:

It took Slinky, as a part of a management team that took a GSW squad from lottery to dynasty, only 7 years to domination. A GSW team that was, as he pointed out, much worse off than the Hawks currently are as he's taking over. That's what makes me sure it won't be 8 year lottery toiling, as you're claiming.

How could they possibly be worse off than we are right now?

8 minutes ago, Watchman said:

All we have to go off of is the last "rebuild."  We don't have any reason to believe that things will be any different this time around.

New owner, new GM, new coach. Yeah, no reason whatsoever. That's like treating your wife a certain way because of past girlfriends' actions. Smart way to think...

3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

How could they possibly be worse off than we are right now?

Because half the team isn't even on the team yet? And Slinky snagged a consensus lottery pick at 19th with his very 1st pick as new GM?

Edited by hazer

Just now, hazer said:

New owner, new GM, new coach. Yeah, no reason whatsoever. That's like treating your wife a certain way because of past girlfriends' actions. Smart way to think...

May I remind you that Billy Knight was regarded with a great sense of optimism too.  We know how that worked out.  None of Slinky's moves up to this point have done anything to foster a sense of optimism.

5 minutes ago, Watchman said:

May I remind you that Billy Knight was regarded with a great sense of optimism too.  We know how that worked out.  None of Slinky's moves up to this point have done anything to foster a sense of optimism.

Oh FFS. Good luck with that interpretation ;)

Edited by hazer