• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our fan base isn't strong enough for us to tank!!

Wurider05

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

You realize you listed a bunch of studs who were mostly high lottery picks above, right?  Do you think that getting the #3 pick and taking Jordan is different than having the #1 pick and taking Hakeem?  You need to get lucky in the draft (like Duncan, Steph, Kobe, Jordan, Lebron, etc.) and land a superstar or acquire the draft assets you can use to flip for a superstar (like Kareem) or sign a FA superstar (like Shaq).  

I think we all know the first superstar that comes to Atlanta won't be coming in by FA.  That leaves trade and draft.  For a trade you need a lot better assets than protected future picks and midround picks.  For the draft, you can land that superstar at a variety of draft slots but the odds get worse and worse the farther you move down.

That is reality.  Nothing is certain and luck is involved but unless you get lucky you won't get a ring.  Paying 100 cents on the dollar in free agency will never win you a ring.  (Note that paying the max for a guy like Shaq is paying way less than 100 cents on the dollar giving you returns well above his price point while your best case for a guy like Joe Johnson at >$20M or Paul Millsap at $30M or Al Horford at $25M, etc. is that they don't give you less production than you are paying for.  You'll never get the big surplus of production that rookie contracts and superstars allow you to reap when you hit gold.)

Yes. You're right. But Danny Ferry did build the team that got to the ECF (and yes it got swept because of injuries and LeBron), didn't he?

How did he do it? It wasn't through the draft or by having the fans to pray to the basketball gods to give them a superstar.

I enjoy cheering for good teams and watching good basketball. I will still follow the Hawks, even if they're tanking), but I won't pay to watch games anymore because I don't think they're headed in the right direction. Some teams manage to hit in the draft, but it takes luck. If I wanted to trust in luck, I'd gamble, but I don't. If you want to be rich, you got to work. That's what I think, anyway.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Ironic seeing the quote by your name on the screen.  30 years is a long time.  Neither GS nor Cleveland were thought to be even competent franchises 15 years ago.

Well, I guess I'm not a believer anymore. I just can't find the way to change that, but I tried.

Can you tell me how to change it?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Yes. You're right. But Danny Ferry did build the team that got to the ECF (and yes it got swept because of injuries and LeBron), didn't he?

How did he do it? It wasn't through the draft or by having the fans to pray to the basketball gods to give them a superstar.

I enjoy cheering for good teams and watching good basketball. I will still follow the Hawks, even if they're tanking), but I won't pay to watch games anymore because I don't think they're headed in the right direction. Some teams manage to hit in the draft, but it takes luck. If I wanted to trust in luck, I'd gamble, but I don't. If you want to be rich, you got to work. That's what I think, anyway.

You can definitely build a team that doesn't win a game beyond the second round of the playoffs without dipping into the lottery.  I'm very interested to see if Houston can actually win a ring only dipping into the bottom of the lottery.

• Moderators
Just now, BrazilianHawk said:

Well, I guess I'm not a believer anymore. I just can't find the way to change that, but I tried.

Can you tell me how to change it?

I'd just say to wait and see before judging too harshly.  We don't have much data to go on right now other than the team clearly isn't gunning to compete for a title this season.  The rest of the offseason will speak to whether they are gunning to compete for the playoffs which I think will be "no" but I'm waiting to see.  A couple of seasons in will tell us whether Schlenk is adapt at plumbing value from the FA market like Ferry did and whether he is a capable GM for identifying talent in the draft.  Right now we have a lot of unknowns and uncertainties.

Just now, Sothron said:

Our attendance was bad even with winning teams. The GM I have to think is aware of this and is still rebuilding. We can't be held hostage to attendance records or past failed drafts.

Somebody has to pay for this mess.  Thank goodness for the national TV contracts.  Ressler isn't going to underwrite this team indefinitely.

1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I don't earn money from any of those sellouts, so I couldn't care less.

I want to cheer for a good team, not for a team full of scrubs. Y'all American people are so hellbent in trying to be #1 that you choose to endure a decade of frustration and bad basketball so you can hope you draft that one of a kind player... You won't. Not like this, really. Was Steph #1?... KD?... Kobe?... Kawai? Jordan? Even the team who drafted one of the best PGs ever (at #4) couldn't make it.

"oh, but what about Duncan and LeBron?". That's exactly what I'm talking about. Someone has got to win it all. You have to get LUCKY to get there.

SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE DELUSIONAL. Tanking is for losers.

Losers.

Funny, you quoted me but went on to discuss things that aren't even related to my post you quoted. If you wanted to just make a general statement, why quote me? Maybe something got lost in translation;)

There's so much talent in the NBA and people from all over who live in ATL, ATL basketball fans will come out to watch basketball. 

I'm not worried about it. 

Now if they were to really jack up ticket prices like GS prices then there would be a problem.