• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk already messing up too much, and it's not about talent but about professionalism

sturt

58 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This is not tough.  Anybody could've refused to re-sign someone not under contract anymore.  Breaking up a team is one of the easiest things to do in sports.  Building a team is hard as hell.

Yep.  Tearing a team down is easy.  People think it is a hard decision, but that's an easy decision even if it is the wrong one.  Being able to tell which one of these 19 year old's with remedial skill levels is a Karl Anthony Towns and which one is an Andrew Wiggins is the hard part.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, sturt said:

I'll grant you there's some room there.

But when I read that, I read it differently.... being in touch during the free agency period suggests to me some on-going discussion. As opposed to, before the free agency period begins, saying "thanks, Paul, but we're going another direction after all."

Once that decision has been made, there's no reason for any further on-going discussion.

There is a really good reason for on-going discussions - Paul wanted offers from teams that could only S&T for him and we wanted to S&T him.  We would naturally be working with his agent to try to identify those opportunities.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What I do think is that Schlenk needs to either get away from the camera and send Stevie K out as the ambassador or he needs to get smarter.  He definitely is not doing a good job with what he says or what he doesn't say.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is a really good reason for on-going discussions - Paul wanted offers from teams that could only S&T for him and we wanted to S&T him.  We would naturally be working with his agent to try to identify those opportunities.

Lost me... if a SnT situation arises, that's an "on-going discussion" to be had w/ the other team, going back and forth with possibilities each side prefers.

So, yeah, call me predictable, but like the alternative theory I offered for your position better. 

35 minutes ago, AHF said:

What I do think is that Schlenk needs to either get away from the camera and send Stevie K out as the ambassador or he needs to get smarter.  He definitely is not doing a good job with what he says or what he doesn't say.

The fact that he is tanking the team out tells me that he isn't doing a good job, period.

• Like 1

Oh sure, of course Schlenk should have said "we won't offer Millsap a contract" before te begin of FAgency, that would have certainly enhanced Paul's value.

Nba trades and off-season involve a good deal of strategic behavior.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, MrYellow said:

Oh sure, of course Schlenk should have said "we won't offer Millsap a contract" before te begin of FAgency, that would have certainly enhanced Paul's value.

That's not strategy. That's a lie. And this 'strategic behavior' is one of the things that keep decent FAs from signing with the Hawks. The FO is dishonest and it definitely doesn't look like they are trying to win something.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, MrYellow said:

Not sure if you've thought this through completely.

First, who said anything about publicly announcing "we won't offer Sap a contract"... ?

Rather, what's been said here and the premise of this thread is that it is professional to convey to this player who has been a cornerstone for his 4 years with the team, one-to-one not publicly, that you've determined the team needs to go in another direction, and wishes him well.

Second, even if you were to go public with it or if he and his agent go public with that, if anything, it actually encourages teams to spend more time considering how they might acquire his services, knowing that the one team that could blow any offer out of the water won't be doing so, and that they are essentially on equal ground with all of their competition.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, BrazilianHawk said:

That's not strategy. That's a lie. And this 'strategic behavior' is one of the things that keep decent FAs from signing with the Hawks. The FO is dishonest and it definitely doesn't look like they are trying to win something.

Trying to keep some balance here... you, me, nor anyone else knows that Schlenk didn't say to Sap, "Paul, we've re-thought this a little. Instead of coming to you with an offer, please keep us informed what you're hearing from other teams, and if we think we're going to be able to come close to that, we'll make an offer." (... which is essentially what I could agree with @AHF may have been said, bu couldn't be deciphered from C-Viv's ace reporting skills).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Guess you did not get it right.

10 hours ago, KB21 said:

The fact that he is tanking the team out tells me that he isn't doing a good job, period.

Did he trade Dennis and Prince for cheaper guys and picks? Did I miss the breaking tank tweet? Dang...

I like realistic  gm's. Our reality is such. As Diesel has said...we're only tool for superstar fa's. We are stuck in mediocrity once again. It may piss off a lot of fans but we have to try and land a superstar in the draft or in some bizarrely lucky trade. It's the only realistic path to even have a chance for us to compete for the eastern conference. 

The amount of hypotheticals and what ifs in this thread is nausea-inducing. 

If or until we get some factual quotes, we won't know what was said behind closed doors.

Maybe Schlenk did lie, maybe he told Sap what they were going to offer and he said no. Maybe Schlenk didn't even have dialogue or maybe he wished him well and said he was sorry it didn't work out. 

You guys could sit here and overthink this all day but to what end? I think it's that time of year when I start to wish the season were about to start. 

• Like 1